wheels

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Toby Gosnall, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Toby Gosnall

    Toby Gosnall Guest

    I am about to part with some readies on pair of race wheels, but as yet am unsure of what to buy.

    A few people have mentioned the Mavic Cosmic Carbon and also the Spinergy tilium carbons have been
    mentioned. Has anyone got any comments or recommendations?

    Many thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Joel Filliol

    Joel Filliol Guest

    IMO Cosmics Carbons are overpriced considering what you get - a plastic fairing on an alu rim. They
    are pretty heavy too... For that type of wheel a Hed Jet is more reasonably priced. I've had a
    couple pairs of Zipps over the years and they've been good.

    Joel www.CompetitionZone.com

    "Toby Gosnall" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am about to part with some readies on pair of race wheels, but as yet am unsure of what to buy.
    >
    > A few people have mentioned the Mavic Cosmic Carbon and also the Spinergy tilium carbons have been
    > mentioned. Has anyone got any comments or recommendations?
    >
    > Many thanks.

  3. Brian Wagner

    Brian Wagner Guest

    There are also widespread allegations regarding numerous dramatic catastrophic failures of Spinergys
    that have led many to view them as dangerous.

    Chris Maginn wrote:

    > Spinergy 'GACK' ! My opinion based on ownership is that the product is shoddy and their service is
    > worse than their product. Quality control is a major issue here. Have you thought about Zipps?
    >
    > "Toby Gosnall" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I am about to part with some readies on pair of race wheels, but as yet am unsure of what
    > > to buy.
    > >
    > > A few people have mentioned the Mavic Cosmic Carbon and also the Spinergy tilium carbons have
    > > been mentioned. Has anyone got any comments or recommendations?
    > >
    > > Many thanks.

  4. Mike Lana

    Mike Lana Guest

    If you are sticking with tri's and tt's and your budget is high I would go with Zipp 404's. 303's
    would be the next best thing. I have not tried it but a zipp 404 front and one of hed's new trispoke
    disks might be a great combo also. If you are doing any road racing I would not use these. I might
    go with a cosmic carbone because of the rim. Too easy to pull a spoke out of carbon rims. Both these
    wheels are great but very few have the money to buy them. I know I just bought my new Crit / tri
    wheels for this year. Velomax tempest. A little heavier and a little more shallow than the zipp but
    $700 extra in my pocket. Good Luck Mike

    "Toby Gosnall" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am about to part with some readies on pair of race wheels, but as yet am unsure of what to buy.
    >
    > A few people have mentioned the Mavic Cosmic Carbon and also the Spinergy tilium carbons have been
    > mentioned. Has anyone got any comments or recommendations?
    >
    > Many thanks.

  5. Toby Gosnall

    Toby Gosnall Guest

    Thanks guys. From the feedback it sounds as though I should give the Spinergy a miss. A shame
    because on paper they do seem to be an excellent choice (although slightly more money than I wanted
    to spend!). I've not thought about the Zipps, but I will certainly give them a look.

    Toby