Wheelset advice MTB

robalert

Jun 8, 2005
I am wondering if wheelsets make a difference offroad?

i have an old mtb running no name 36H rims which have surprising lasted me well for the past 12 years.

I am looking to upgrade because I have some beaut running gear to add to my bike, including PG990 9spd cassette, X9 running gear. I don't believe my rear axle will take a 9spd cassette. Standard is 7spd. Anyway the bearings aren't sounding too healthy and braking surface is looking a bit concave.

I notice on one hand, I can get some wheelsets such sun rims blackeye for about $189 or alex X2100 for $139... or even shimano WH565 for $299... will these improve my ride? Am I getting what I pay for.

I am also eyeing a set of Mavic Crossrides. Anyone experienced these?

Would appreciate any feedback or experiences you've had with MTB rims.

On a negative note, I've ridden with quite a number of people and seen their rims fail. They were lighter than me. They were brand name rims. Recently my friend's WTB speedisc standard on his GT Avalache buckled on the Oakes Fire Trail.

Hi Rob,

Wheels will make a difference in terms of quality, build, weight and the parts added to them (eg spokes, hubs). I'm sure their are other factors as well which are noticeable between inexpensive and expensive wheelsets.
Having said that I'm a recreational rider with a new family and other hobbies so can't afford to get high end products. However, if (by the products you listed) you are referring to wheels from Cell at Stanmore I would caution against the Alex X2100 rims. The rims are a little on the heavy side but that's not the problem. (I have pair I use as spare commuting wheels) The rims are laced to Quando hubs which are the crappiest hubs I have come across. The rear is so poorly made every cassette I've attached jiggle so badly they rattle when you ride. The hub seems to be too narrow for the cassette it just doesn't sit well on it at all. The hubs on my other wheels are much better and they're not high end items. My other wheels have Shimano105, Shimano Deore, Formula and Sun Ringle hubs). Also, the rathchet in the rear hub makes the most awfully loud click with a tinny and cheap sound to it. Can't comment on the other wheels. I think they have different hubs; just steer clear of the Quandos IMHO.

IMHO, Mavic make the best rims based on price, performance/strength and weight.

So, out of those listed, I would go the Mavic Crossrides. Well known brand, pretty decent hubs, good quality build.

thanks!

feedback is great

sounds like Quando hubs are worse than heavy shimano 475s

I've recently made a set from ebay bits: front Magura Pro 2000 (DT Swiss 240) hub, rear Deore LX hub, both with red Velocity Deep V rims and DR Comp. spokes. Strong and very striking! The spokes were the most expensive parts on each wheel...

artemidorus said:
I've recently made a set from ebay bits: front Magura Pro 2000 (DT Swiss 240) hub, rear Deore LX hub, both with red Velocity Deep V rims and DR Comp. spokes. Strong and very striking! The spokes were the most expensive parts on each wheel...
did you weigh them?

I ended up getting a new rear rim from Cellbikes - the Sun BlackEye rims with Novatech hubs $100

So far so good. The initial glitch was that the first rim I got was dished incorrectly so I needed it exchange. No probs with Cellbikes, they just replaced it. I'm sure it wouldn't have of been so easy with Torpedo7 or ebay sellers.

Does anyone know about Novatech hubs?

Also, I was eyeing a custom wheelset from Chainreactioncycles... all up around $220 a set for XT hubs, DT spokes, 717 rims... Similar in price to Mavic Crossrides. For same money which is better?

Is custom better than factory wheelsets?

robalert said:
I ended up getting a new rear rim from Cellbikes - the Sun BlackEye rims with Novatech hubs $100

So far so good. The initial glitch was that the first rim I got was dished incorrectly so I needed it exchange. No probs with Cellbikes, they just replaced it. I'm sure it wouldn't have of been so easy with Torpedo7 or ebay sellers.

Does anyone know about Novatech hubs?

Also, I was eyeing a custom wheelset from Chainreactioncycles... all up around $220 a set for XT hubs, DT spokes, 717 rims... Similar in price to Mavic Crossrides. For same money which is better?

Is custom better than factory wheelsets?
Rob, I would definitely go for well-built XT/717 over a factory wheelset for MTB/26".

artemidorus said:
Rob, I would definitely go for well-built XT/717 over a factory wheelset for MTB/26".
+1 on the XT/717. CRC is pretty good on pricing for various items. I 've bought several items recently and (despite sometimes steep postage costs) have found them to still be cheaper than either most Aust online stores or even local bike shops; and that's with the postage! Saved nearly $50 on a flat bar for my MTB a couple of weeks back buying through them.:)

robalert said:
I am wondering if wheelsets make a difference offroad?

i have an old mtb running no name 36H rims which have surprising lasted me well for the past 12 years.

I am looking to upgrade because I have some beaut running gear to add to my bike, including PG990 9spd cassette, X9 running gear. I don't believe my rear axle will take a 9spd cassette. Standard is 7spd. Anyway the bearings aren't sounding too healthy and braking surface is looking a bit concave.

I notice on one hand, I can get some wheelsets such sun rims blackeye for about $189 or alex X2100 for $139... or even shimano WH565 for $299... will these improve my ride? Am I getting what I pay for.

I am also eyeing a set of Mavic Crossrides. Anyone experienced these?

Would appreciate any feedback or experiences you've had with MTB rims.

On a negative note, I've ridden with quite a number of people and seen their rims fail. They were lighter than me. They were brand name rims. Recently my friend's WTB speedisc standard on his GT Avalache buckled on the Oakes Fire Trail.
SUN Rhynolite rims come in wider bead-to-bead sizes (I think, 559-22 & 559-25?) than the MAVIC (mostly, 599-17) in case you are running a fatter/wider tire ... I presume they are still available, but perhaps not. The Sun Rhynolite used to be one of the "benchmark" rims against which other rims were often compared, AFAIK ... I don't know about the "Blackeye" rim you mentioned, but it is probably a "good" rim.

BTW. A minor (?) problem with MAVIC hubs is that the freehub bushing does NOT like it when YOU coast ... MAVIC "road" hubs need servicing after about 3000 miles if used on mountain roads (where about half the miles are "coasting" downhill) ... so, I have to presume a similar service period for the hubs on MAVIC's MTB wheels. Whether that is a nuisance or something that doesn't bother you is something you will have to decide.

FWIW. You can't go wrong with Shimano hubs.

ALSO, to state what may be obvious -- even if your bike doesn't use disc brakes, you can (of course) use the wheels with disc brake hubs if the rims are NOT disc-only ... who knows, you may get a new frame at some point in the future, and having disc-hubs will allow you to continue to use whatever wheelset you buy if/when that time arrives.