Wheelset advice

Atlbiker32

Jan 19, 2010
I am looking at upgrading road wheels on my 2005 Giant TCR C3. I am still running the stock Xero Lite XSR-3 wheels. I am 6'3", 200lbs and haven't had any problems with the wheels - just itching for a new set. Here are my choices, let me know your opinions:

Mavik Cosmic Elite - $225
2009 Mavik Aksiun Race (includes Dura Ace cassette) - $200
Easton Circuit wheels (like new) - $175

Also, what do you think is a good asking price should I sell the Xero wheelset?

Thanks in advance!

What are you going to be using these wheels for? If you're racing I think you might be able to use wheels like these as spares on the service vehicle, but if you want a performance gain I don't think any of these wheels will give you much of a boost. I think the Xero's are around 2000 grams, and the Aksiums probably run around 1850-2000 grams as well.

You said that you haven't had any problems with your current wheelset so I don't think it would hurt to stick with the ones you currently have. What exactly are you looking for? Lighter weight? Better aerodynamics?

The Aksiums and Cosmics won't save you any weight, but the Easton Circuits might save you about 300-400 grams for the pair.

With respect to aerodynamics, the amount of wind resistance you get is exponentially related to your velocity. What this really means is that aero rims only give you substantial benefit if you're going REALLY fast. At slower speeds they won't make much of a difference. Anyways, at 30mm you can't really call the cosmics aero... and the aksiums aren't aero at all.

Well. For the price I would say go with the Eastons. But then again I don't know the Xero wheelsets that you are riding on. I would have to agree with genedan above. You might want to save the $200 for now and save it for later for a better wheelset. Finally could you also provide some more information about the Xero's?

You can likely pick up a pair of Neuvation wheels for a price just slightly higher (275-300ish). Never used them, but a lot of people seem to have seem to have said good things.

The Circuits have been the most durable wheels I've ever used. No truing at 25K miles and still running true and going strong. Believe the "twin-threaded" spoke really is a better idea, plus the careful, even-tension build of course. I weigh 180-190 lbs, and climb a lot of hills.
Don't think you'll find a more durable "race" wheel, regardless of spoke count or price.

Caveats: The rims are nothing special, looking like the low-end Alex rims on my Fuji Track. Also, hubs aren't really sealed. Like a lot of "boutique" hubs, they use press-in cartridge bearings with no axle seals, only dust caps. If you ride in rain a lot, you might want better seals. At least the (R8) bearings are everywhere and cheap, and easy to replace.

Still, not sure what you expect to gain from new wheels. I'd personally want to keep the current wheels and use them up before moving on. But understand when the bug for new bike stuff hits.

Atlbiker32 said:
I am looking at upgrading road wheels on my 2005 Giant TCR C3. I am still running the stock Xero Lite XSR-3 wheels. I am 6'3", 200lbs and haven't had any problems with the wheels - just itching for a new set. Here are my choices, let me know your opinions:

Mavik Cosmic Elite - $225
2009 Mavik Aksiun Race (includes Dura Ace cassette) - $200
Easton Circuit wheels (like new) - $175

Also, what do you think is a good asking price should I sell the Xero wheelset?

Thanks in advance!

I personally wouldn't upgrade to those wheels - rather, beat the hell out of your current set and go for a more noticeable upgrade in the future. But if you really can't escape the urge to buy something, then go for the Eastons. But I'm not sure about how strong they are given you're a pretty big fella.

If the money's really burning a hole in your pocket...

If those are your wheel options you would probably get a larger performance benefit from different tyres at a much lower cost.

tafi, excellent point about tires. From the few test reports I've seen, the best race tires can save a handful of watts, and even more when used with latex tubes.