Wheelset around 1500g for under $USD900

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Walrus, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Walrus

Walrus New Member

My trusty Shimano 550's are to be retired at the end of this year. They've served me well, but it's time for an upgrade. I want an all-round wheel that is suitable for training with a chance of the occasional race.

Criteria:
    • Good climbing wheels would be looked upon favourably, but nothing too ultralight (not that my budget will allow this anyway)
    • I want to pay less than $USD900 ($AUD1200).
    • The rim should be less than 28mm, don't want to worry about crosswinds
    • If possible, I'm aiming for around 1500g
    I've looked at Ksyrium SL2's, Campy Neutron, Fulcrum Racing3, Bonty Race Xlite, Rolf Elan, Shimano Dura Ace (not the 7800 - I don't have 10 spd). Any comments on those wheels, or perhaps some others that I mightn't have considered?

Tags:

2. Mansmind

Mansmind New Member

Easton (Velomax) Orion II's I believe are in the $700 range, and will come in slightly under 1500 grams, 1470 grams I think. I know the rim depth is less than 28, if I recall correctly they're 21mm.

John

3. dfvcad

dfvcad New Member

Cane Creek Volos CX-Ray Sapim spokes $550.00 @ 1585g per pair. Very good CS.

4. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

You can also get the Velocity Aerohead rims and CX-Ray spokes on more traditional hubs for about the same price and weight.

5. monkey sour

monkey sour New Member

How did you like the Shimano 550's?I was hoping to upgrade my bike to them maybe this summer.Whould you recommend them?Thanks,I also heard good things of Ksyriums

6. nbfman

nbfman New Member

I recently upgraded my Shimano 550's to Shimano Dura-Ace 7801, and have been quite pleased with the change. I was looking for an upgrade in the less than $700 range, and the Dura-Ace were somewhat less than that.

The lighter weight of the Dura-Ace seems to help me in climbs, though I wonder how much is psychological. The Dura-Ace look a lot better. Things like a plastic cover on a steel bolt on the skewer bothered me about the 550's. The Dura-Ace also seem stronger, as they have stayed in true after hitting several major bumps in the road. The 550's did not hold up as well.

Here's a link on some more comments on Dura-Ace wheels.

http://www.serotta.com/forum/printthread.php?t=2134

7. jrstevens

jrstevens New Member

Check out the new Neuvations:
    http://www.neuvationcycling.com/wheels/r28sl.html
    The R28SLs are under 1500 grams and can be purchased for a fraction of what your top limit is. Don't be scared off by the low price. These are awesome wheels. Why pay for some top racer's wheels when you can pay just for your own and get a great product too. (Neuvation doesn't sponsor any pro racers) I own the M28 Aeros and love them. The owner John answers all questions by e-mail promptly and stands 110% behind his product.

JS

8. dno

dno New Member

I have just upgraded from BOntrager Race Lites to Ksyrium SL2's. I went through a similar evaluation was lucky enough to ride about 4 of the sets you are looking at (Ksyriums, X-Lites, Rolf Vigors, and Am Classic 420's). I love the Ksyriums - they are considered bomb-proof which was important to me, but more importantly the wheels are a lot lighter (my are 1560 at time of purchase - weighted in shop) and are very stiff - I think that combination makes the bike feel very much quicker and feels like the accelerations are more intense when you "put your foot into it". I also tried, for a tease, some Reynolds Mid-V carbon tubulars, which are very very nice wheels (and double the price), but for I found the stiffness of the Ksyriums to feel better and actually made the bike feel more alive.

I have trek 5200, so the frame stiffness may not be the same as the lateness light weight wonder and may also contribute to the feeling of stiffness that I felt from the wheels. Either way I am very happy with the Ksyriums.

One point to note also is that over in the US the K SL2's are now starting to blown out as Mavic has released a K SL3 - which is exactly the same wheel except for a different color front hub an slightly different graphics - see http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=CATEGORY_VIEW&CATEGORY.ID=267&MODE= for an example.

9. Walrus

Walrus New Member

Unfortunately they do not ship the Neuvation wheels to Australia. I'd seen these previously, and they seem like really good value. Shame about that...

10. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

A set of these with Chris King hubs makes me drool. That would be an awesome wheelset.

11. Claes

Claes New Member

Here you go, I reckon these kick some serious butt.
    Bad thing is if you mess up the spokes, the wheel has to be
    sent off to factory. Upside, it is almost impossible to do so.
    The importeres here in Oz, demos thos wheels with standing
    on the spokes, while the wheel is laying on the ground.
    They do not break from that. They go 1-2 mm out of true from
    it, so they are very very strong.
    Ok, they are a couple of hundred bucks more than you were thinking
    of spending, but could be worth it.
    link

12. Walrus

Walrus New Member

They are pretty unique looking wheels, and the review on cyclingnews.com is pretty glowing. But for that price, you can now get Ksyrium SSC SL's which are much more proven (eg in the pro peloton). Mind you, every man and his dog have Ksyrim's! Thanks for the idea.

13. Claes

Claes New Member

You hit the nail on the head with "every man and his dog" :)

But, the ksyriums are still 110 grams heavier than the topos as a pair, that is a light year in weight weenie standars for wheels. :)

I reckon they rock, the fact that they are not that common, even better.

More choiches to you.

14. Donga

Donga New Member

In Australia you can get some sweet wheels built custom at your local LBS for a helluva lot less than that. Import some hubs like DuraAce, American Classic, DT Swiss. Put them on some DT Swiss R1.1 rims with CX-Rays or a bit cheaper DT Revolutions and alloy nipples.

You now have wheels that can be rebuilt when needed easier and cheaper than your Ksyriums etc.

Donga

15. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

I find myself compelled to respond to this typo instead of an all-around useful answer in this case (plus I have no useful information).

I don't know as much as the others who have replied about wheels, but from a logic perspective, I do believe that you are correct in choosing an all-round wheel for racing.

It is my understanding that round wheels are the choice of the racers in all the major events.

16. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Wait a year. With the re-emergence of Biopace like non-round chainrings, it's only a matter of time until some marketing genius tries to convince us that eliptical wheels will smooth out our pedaling.

17. Walrus

Walrus New Member

There's always one! ;)

18. Walrus

Walrus New Member

You make a lotta sense Donga. I guess my lack of knowledge about custom wheels has pushed me toward factory made, but I think I'll pop into the LBS and have a chat. Are CX-Rays the spoke to have? I've now heard quite a few people talk about them.

19. WINGNUTT

WINGNUTT New Member

I would go for the american classic 420s. Less than 1500 grams and I think you can pick them up for way under $900 from ebay. They are around $900 direct from AR.

http://www.amclassic.com/Wheels_420.html

20. dfvcad

dfvcad New Member

Just a reminder! There is a rider weight limit of 200lbs on this wheelset