Wheelset around 1500g for under $USD900

alienator said:
No dodgy deal. Wise Cycle is a good, honest dealer.

As for the wheels.....they might be great training wheels. There have been quite a few complaints about the hubs on Topolinos, although Topolino is supposed to start using a new hub in the next year. Some people hate the looks. Some people like the looks. Aerodynamically, the wheels suck big bags of fart gas, with those giant spokes and the big plastic knobs at the spoke intersections. Topolinos do not rank very highly on the lateral stiffness scale, either.
+1, several European magazines have been very critical of the performance of these wheels.

I'm 200lbs, I cannot rave enough about my Campy Zondas, 25mm deep and they haven't needed any truing yet over an entire season of really poor roads. The hubs are incredible.

To add to Evil Twin's comments, iffin' I were to buy a set of boutique wheels (I don't consider my Reynolds Stratus DV's boutique wheels: I consider them a specialty wheel. Aero wheels don't really fit my definition of boutique....but then my definitions may not be like those of others....I do think Spam is one of the greatest meats ever invented....), I would buy a set of Campy wheels. Whatever wheel test is being done, it seems as though Campy always does well. They've got a reputation for durability that other companies can't come close to. Sure people say Ksyriums are durable, but Campy wheels last seemingly forever.

Iffin' I was a Shimanophile and I couldn't bring myself to put Campy wheels on my bike (and yes, unlike Shimano wheels, you can get Campy wheels with either Campy or Shimano freehubs), then I'd consider Fulcrum....which is just Campy for Shimano people wary of the Campy decals.

I would definitely use Boras over Cosmic Carbones...but then I'm not exactly a Mavic wheel fan.

alienator said:
but then I'm not exactly a Mavic wheel fan.
We noticed! :cool:

On a similar note, how should one select the wheel for any particular ride? Can I assume that average speed of a ride route is a relevant parameter? That is, aero wheels if the av speed is greater than 30kph, while light weight climbing wheels for those sub 30kph rides. Is this how it works?

I would suggest getting one pair of light, aero wheels and leave it at that.

sogood said:
We noticed! :cool:

On a similar note, how should one select the wheel for any particular ride? Can I assume that average speed of a ride route is a relevant parameter? That is, aero wheels if the av speed is greater than 30kph, while light weight climbing wheels for those sub 30kph rides. Is this how it works?

11ring said:
I would suggest getting one pair of light, aero wheels and leave it at that.
Well, having two sets of wheel is an advantage in that you'll always have a spare when one set has a break down.

So what would you suggest for a single pair of light and aero wheelset? Bora is way out of the price range... :p

sogood said:
Well, having two sets of wheel is an advantage in that you'll always have a spare when one set has a break down.

So what would you suggest for a single pair of light and aero wheelset? Bora is way out of the price range... :p

Hmmmmm: Reynolds Stratus DV's.......$1500+........Zipp 303's or 404's.......

I'd worry more about the aero and less about the light. Mavic Cosmic Carbones draw rave reviews, but they're not light. They are damned aero, though. Neuvation has some aero CF wheels that are reasonably priced. X-Treme makes some nice wheels. Corima has some beautiful, nice deep wheels, as does Ambrosio. American Classic has the 420's as well as some carbon rims, but then you have to be willing to use their hubs.

I like Reynolds so my answer will be completely biased. I ride my Stratus DV's most of the time....or at least until I feel guilty about not riding my other wheelset. The DV's do it all well and have shown themselves to be plenty capable of everyday use. They're not as stiff laterally as my other wheelset ( a custom set w/ Alex Crostini R3.1/3.2 rims 24 2x front, 28 3x rear, with CX-Ray spokes, and White Industries H1 hubs), but they also cause no dramas on fast, twisty descents. Their stiffness certainly doesn't handicap the way they climb.

Walrus said:
Is this a deal you've struck instore? Their website doesn't list those wheels.
Website=useless
store=:eek:..........:D

They have some awesome bargains in there. Helpful staff too. Shimano R550 for $200 or something close to that. And some cheap deda stuff, but I got mine cheaper :D

Oh and I don't consider spam a meat of any description.

Good point. I have a pair of deep carbon tubulars for a good price if you want a top quality race wheel, otherwise Am Classic 420's are my bet.

sogood said:

11ring said:
Good point. I have a pair of deep carbon tubulars for a good price if you want a top quality race wheel, otherwise Am Classic 420's are my bet.
Well, I don't think aero wheels are going to help me much at my stage. Maybe in 6 months time... :rolleyes:

Tubular tyres sounded like a pain to manage.

sogood said:
Well, I don't think aero wheels are going to help me much at my stage. Maybe in 6 months time... :rolleyes:

Tubular tyres sounded like a pain to manage.
Here's my predicition for you;
Stay with fast group all the way to Waterfall. Mid - end Jan
Stay with fast group all the way back to Sutherland, mid March
Beat Lindsay in D grade mid March
Win sprint going into Sutherland. June or July.

mikesbytes said:
Here's my predicition for you;
Stay with fast group all the way to Waterfall. Mid - end Jan
This would make me very happy already... For a while. I wouldn't even think of competing again Linday. He has too many tricks up his sleeve. :D

Thanks for the confidence, but I think I still have a lot of work to do. :eek:

alienator said:
Ah, finding a good builder can be THE issues. However, if you do find a good builder, that builder can make all the decisions easy by narrowing by quite a bit your field of options. In the USofByGodA, while we are plagued with questionable politics, we do have an abundance of good wheel builders......so finding a good 'un ain't a problem over here.
Yes-I actually sent the person I wanted to build my wheels a list of what was important in order (like weight, strength, budget, use, even color) and was pleasantly suprised to quickly get a response with few choices and I went with what he recommended based on what I said I required. I personally didnt ask what type of rims or hubs. I am perfectly happy with what I got and I'd say he nailed my requests!!

So who did you use?

How come no one is mentioning Mike Garcia at oddsandendos.com as a wheelbuilder.....too cheap for this thread? Every search I have done on this guy says he is really good, and so are his wheels.