Wheelset around 1500g for under $USD900

monkey sour said:
How did you like the Shimano 550's?I was hoping to upgrade my bike to them maybe this summer.Whould you recommend them?Thanks,I also heard good things of Ksyriums
They came with my bike and I was not impressed with them, though I only rode them for about 200 miles. They are a little heavy at close to 1900 grams. I also found they didn't spin all that well, though some wheels take more than 200 miles to break in. The front wheel when spinning in my hand felt gritty like the hubs weren't all that smooth. Maybe it just was the pair I got. I am a big strong masher at 210 lbs and I didn't feel any flex under hard peddling which is good. But for the price they cost they probably aren't too bad.

I don't see what's wrong with el cheapo wheels that provide performance.

I'm now riding a pair of Xero Lite XR-1s (virtually identical to the Xero Centauri XCR-1s except for the spoke lacing and decals) and have gone about 6000km on them with only one event (a spoke breaking 150km into use, get your LBS guy to tune up the wheels before you ride them). Still superstraight, has a cool look, and weighs in at 1550g or so. Beautiful feel, and no problems with flexiness (I was 82kg, now 72kg so maybe they're not feeling it as much anymore). No complaints at all about them.

And they cost me SGD300 (US$180 or so).

sogood said:
Well said! However I think you are over-estimating a lot of cyclists out there now that you are on this side of the educated fence. When I got back to cycling, I had no ideas of this custom build business and how good it can get. But it really is through a lot of reading and time do I now have a better feel of this subject. And when you are a busy person with a comfortable budget, picking up a boutique wheel from a known brand is that much easier. It's one decision + $$$ vs 7 decisions (type of rim, type of spoke, type of hub, type of lace pattern, type of nipple, colours, who to build) + lack of demonstrator + uncertainty of result. The other issue of geography. Where I am, wheel builders with a reputation aren't that easy to find.

Then there are many people out there who's just flushed with money (see dot com boom), who doesn't care about price. It's a lost cause there.

Ah, finding a good builder can be THE issues. However, if you do find a good builder, that builder can make all the decisions easy by narrowing by quite a bit your field of options. In the USofByGodA, while we are plagued with questionable politics, we do have an abundance of good wheel builders......so finding a good 'un ain't a problem over here.

rakkun said:
I don't see what's wrong with el cheapo wheels that provide performance.

I'm now riding a pair of Xero Lite XR-1s (virtually identical to the Xero Centauri XCR-1s except for the spoke lacing and decals) and have gone about 6000km on them with only one event (a spoke breaking 150km into use, get your LBS guy to tune up the wheels before you ride them). Still superstraight, has a cool look, and weighs in at 1550g or so. Beautiful feel, and no problems with flexiness (I was 82kg, now 72kg so maybe they're not feeling it as much anymore). No complaints at all about them.

And they cost me SGD300 (US$180 or so).

If you like a wheelset, then there's nothing wrong with that wheelset. Whether you like a wheelset or not, though, is an entirely different matter that is a function of your needs, the sensitivity of your assometer, and etc.

alienator said:
If you like a wheelset, then there's nothing wrong with that wheelset. Whether you like a wheelset or not, though, is an entirely different matter that is a function of your needs, the sensitivity of your assometer, and etc.
I thought the assometer ws a Specialized patent?

If you like a wheelset you are more likely to go faster on it. If someone (god knows who) liked Shimano R500's ride and perceived smoother bearings and stiffness over Reynolds (cause it'll tick off Alienator) DV Stratus, they will probably go faster on the Shimanos, despite weight differences and aerodynamics.

sogood said:
Free tyres? Sounds dodgy.

No dodgy deal. Wise Cycle is a good, honest dealer.

As for the wheels.....they might be great training wheels. There have been quite a few complaints about the hubs on Topolinos, although Topolino is supposed to start using a new hub in the next year. Some people hate the looks. Some people like the looks. Aerodynamically, the wheels suck big bags of fart gas, with those giant spokes and the big plastic knobs at the spoke intersections. Topolinos do not rank very highly on the lateral stiffness scale, either.

Thanks. Dealer may be good, but the wheels sounded a bit like a poo poo for the price.

I have american classic Mag 300's for $1149, very light wheelset. Pretty much all the american classic road wheels are under the 1500 g mark. Because the hubs are so light they can use lots of spokes or a solid rim and you still get a light wheel.

http://www.cellbikes.com.au/product.php?id=489

sogood said:
Thanks. Dealer may be good, but the wheels sounded a bit like a poo poo for the price.

sogood said:

I suspect the low price is on last year's wheels, not the wheels with the new hubs. Again, the only real dodgy thing about Topolino wheels is their hubs--at least the old style hubs. Generally, the wheels are well liked, but if you wanted the most aero wheels, those would NOT be the wheels to choose. If you wanted something that was laterally stiff--for solid cornering, good climbing behavior (no brake rub), or good sprinting--the Topolinos would not be on the top of the list.

I DON'T know how Topo's hubs compare to American Classic hubs, which are some of the more controversial hubs around. It's definitely not clear or obvious that AC hubs are durable and well built. They ARE light, but it seems as if that lightness comes at a price. AC hubs are known to go through bearings pretty quickly.

alienator said:
Again, the only real dodgy thing about Topolino wheels is their hubs--at least the old style hubs. Generally, the wheels are well liked, but if you wanted the most aero wheels, those would NOT be the wheels to choose. If you wanted something that was laterally stiff--for solid cornering, good climbing behavior (no brake rub), or good sprinting--the Topolinos would not be on the top of the list.
That's what I mean. What's good with a wheelset if it's not particularly aero nor laterally stiff?

sogood said:
That's what I mean. What's good with a wheelset if it's not particularly aero nor laterally stiff?

Well, it's one of those things that is ruled by the vaguaries of human preference. Go figure. They really can't be any more comortable than any other wheelset: there's virtually no difference in vertical compliance (i.e., compliance in plane with the wheel) between any wheels. The only difference in compliance is really in lateral compliance, and that doesn't figure that much in comfort. Besides, any vertical compliance is buried in tire compliance.

It just comes down to that old saw: If it feels good, do it. And what feels good to one guy/gal, doesn't necessarily feel good to someone else. And there certainly doesn't have to be any quantifiable or even identifiable reason for the differences.

alienator said:
It just comes down to that old saw: If it feels good, do it. And what feels good to one guy/gal, doesn't necessarily feel good to someone else. And there certainly doesn't have to be any quantifiable or even identifiable reason for the differences.
That's true. But in reality, the great majority of us cyclist aren't that fortunate nor have the budget to try different types of wheels (in this case) to decide on which wheel feels good. I think most depend on spec, objective data and user feedback to decide on a purchase. But tell you what, I can actually feel the difference b/n my two sets of wheels (on identical tyre and pressure) in terms of ride. My Mavic just felt more supple (vertically) than the Fulcrum, eventhough the Mavic is more laterally stiff.

sogood said:
That's true. But in reality, the great majority of us cyclist aren't that fortunate nor have the budget to try different types of wheels (in this case) to decide on which wheel feels good. I think most depend on spec, objective data and user feedback to decide on a purchase. But tell you what, I can actually feel the difference b/n my two sets of wheels (on identical tyre and pressure) in terms of ride. My Mavic just felt more supple (vertically) than the Fulcrum, eventhough the Mavic is more laterally stiff.

Which Mavic wheels?

Again, nearly every wheelset in existence has essentially the same vertical compliance. Differences in vertical compliance are so small as to be indistinguishable from tire compliance.

I'd find it hard to believe that a Mavic Ksyrium--if that's what you're talking about--is more laterally stiff than a Fulcrum wheel. Ksyriums rank at the bottom of pretty much every lateral stiffness comparison.

Still though, what you feel and what you sense just verifies that it's what a given rider feels that's important, not necessarily what the tests and science say. If you think the wheels are stiffer and believe they're stiffer, then that's really all that matters.

Example of rider "sensation" trumping fact: Scott Russell, a legend in US and WSBK superbike racing (and someone who did quite well in his brief foray into GP motorcycle racing) complained one year at Daytona to his chief mechanic, Rob Muzzy (one of the gods of motorcycle mechanics), that his bike was handling all wrong, that what he wanted was one of the rear shock springs that the other riders were using. He id'd those springs by their color. So what Rob Muzzy did was classic: he took Russell's rear spring off, spray painted it to look like "the others", and put it back on. Russell instantly went faster and was instantly chuffed at how the handling of his bike had been "transformed." Heh. It just goes to show that the mental part is the big part of any performance.

alienator said:
Which Mavic wheels?

Again, nearly every wheelset in existence has essentially the same vertical compliance. Differences in vertical compliance are so small as to be indistinguishable from tire compliance.

I'd find it hard to believe that a Mavic Ksyrium--if that's what you're talking about--is more laterally stiff than a Fulcrum wheel. Ksyriums rank at the bottom of pretty much every lateral stiffness comparison.

Still though, what you feel and what you sense just verifies that it's what a given rider feels that's important, not necessarily what the tests and science say. If you think the wheels are stiffer and believe they're stiffer, then that's really all that matters.
The comparison in my case was Fulcrum R5 and Mavic K-ES. It felt different when I first bought the K-ES but thought I could not make a conclusion as they were shod with different tyres. Then recently I changed the R5 to the same Conti GP4000, and the difference is still there (you'll just have to double blind me or paint the R1 black next). It's very clear to me that riding over bumpy paved roads and going onto concrete driveways felt smoother, as if those rough areas got absorbed by a more efficient "shock absorber". Maybe vertical stiffness isn't the right physical parameter to explain it, but there's definitely something different in the ride. And as I said, the tyres are all pumped to the same pressure (105F/110R) between the two sets. So if vertical stiffness is the correct parameter here, then my experience suggests that the K-ES is less vertically stiff. Or maybe the fewer spoke and Alu spokes is the reason.

bobbyOCR said:
I am almost definitely gettin a bargain set of Neuvation R28aero in about 12 days, and they are apparently aroun 1550g. $329 AUD.
Where are you getting them from?

CoppiRidesOn said:
Alienator, I don't think I've read anything mentioned on Dave Tomas' Speed Dreams ( http://speeddream.com/road.php )...what's your take on these?

He's a good one, one of the best. He gives you a broad choice of hubs. He likes Velocity rims, which are liked by pretty much everyone. He's been around for quite a while.