Wheelset Choice(racing 5's vs 105 560)

DirtTurtle

May 17, 2007
Making my purchase of wheelset at the end of next week, i can get an 2006 105 560 wheelset with free mailing with the groupset im gettiing for $197 au(85 pound). Problem is i really love the look of fulcrums, but cant afford a high end set so its gonna cost about $350 for racing 5s with mailing costs from comobike.com.

Any advice on the wheelsets, i really do love the fulcrums but are racing 5's any good for an entry level racing, and also the same with the 560s?

Any helpfull comments greatly appreciated.

Racing 5 is very solid as you'd expect from Campagnolo. You can consider it to be the equivalent of Vento in the Campy range.

Mine has been through around 8000km and have been very happy with it. No trouble with the rear wheel whatsoever and the front has taken a few high speed hits including one big one from a significant sized rock. There's a small dent on the outer edge of the rim to remind me of that and the double pinch flat from that incident. Still riding strong.

Sounds like i may lean towards the 5's then, im looking for a solid rim as u described and also rolling resistance(hopefully the fulcrums are adequate).

Have read plenty of reviews, and only problem i can see is riding in the wet( i think the evo's have been fixed to that but got my cruddy 500s for wet weather). Rolling resistance is supposed to be very good, so it seems like racing 5s for me unless told otherwise.