Wheelset Choices

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by BiggMakk, Nov 15, 2006.

1. BiggMakk

BiggMakk New Member

Okay Bike-o-philes worldwide, a question about wheels. I consider myself a strong recreational rider sans a strong wallet. I don't race. I like to ride far and fast. I like climbing long hills. I live in New York City where the roads have notoriously poor maintenance.

I am considering the following pre-built wheels with 700/23 tires/tyres:
    Mavic Aksium US$200
    Easton Circuit US$300
    Ritchey Pro US$300
    Mavic Ksyrium US$500

Which would you recommend based on my needs/issues? Thanks all.

Tags:

2. badkarma

badkarma New Member

Out of that list, I'd go with the ksyriums. I just bought a lightly used pair of Ksyrium SLs (2006s) on ebay for $455, so I'm sure you could find some elites for $400. Also, try the classifieds on www.roadbikereview.com - there are always some good deals on wheels.

However, if you want a decently light wheel that don't cost a fortune, go with the classic ultegra/OP handbuilt wheels. They're not too heavy, and they're bombproof which will be nice given the condition of NYC roads.

Also, check out Mike Garcia's wheels on www.oddsandendos.com

If you're interested, give him a call and tell him exactly what you're looking for. He will recommend a good wheel and hand-build it to your specifications.

3. capwater

capwater New Member

I second Quarmire's recomendation on the Ksyrium Elites. I have two pairs of them and they are very durable, yet light enought to race with.

4. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

campagnolo Zonda. Or a custom built set using Shimano hubs, aerohead rims and DT Revo spokes.

5. parawolf

parawolf New Member

A vote against Elites - i'm not heavy (176lbs) and don't turn out much power, and only ride on quality roads. Yet my Elite's have only been able to have about 500km done on them since I got them as the rear has spent that much time in the shop (i've done about 2000km since I bought the bike - mainly on borrowed wheels).

The Elite's don't stay true for much more than 60km. They get so bad that they have even rubbed the frame. They have been back to the shop for respoking, checking and everything 4 or 5 times in 4 months. They are being returned the the distributor for replacement.

6. badkarma

badkarma New Member

I think you have a bad wheelbuild. I know plenty of people who ride on K. elites, and none have had anywhere near the amount of trouble you had. Hopefully you'll get a better set back from the distributor.

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

The Zondas are sexy and they're a damn fine wheel. When I bought my wheels it came down to the Zondas vs. the K. SL's. I originally bought the zondas, but due to a mixup, the place didn't have them in stock, so I ended up w/SLs. The cheapest I can find the zondas anywhere are at repartocorse.com for $500 with $11 shipping.

I also saw some BIN zondas on ebay last week for $475 total (inc. shipping).

8. bladegeek

bladegeek New Member

I can speak for the Mavic Aksium. The are not a bad wheel for the price. I now have the Ksyrium SL and they are way better and climb great. They are stiff and light. New they are out of the price range you listed but you may get a deal on Ebay.

9. grumbledook

grumbledook New Member

I have a Circuit and Ksyrium ES wheelset. Both are great, but you get more for your money from Easton/Velomax. (The aerodynamics of the Aksium wheelset is superior to that of the Ksyrium SL/ES, but they are alot heavier.)

10. dhk2

dhk2 Active Member

+1 for the Circuits. A lot of wheel for the money. I've got 12K miles on mine now and they haven't needed any truing at all.

11. hjbiker43

hjbiker43 New Member

Take a look at the Neuvation M28 Aero's. Far better than any of the wheels you listed and the prices can't be beat. Also, the customer service is second to none. If you don't believe me, check out the reviews at roadbikereview.com.. than compare with you choices.

12. caferacerwanabe

caferacerwanabe New Member

Readily available here in Oz too, one of our local shops Ideal Cycles here in Perth has been selling truckloads of them all year!

13. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

What is Ideal selling them for? I know Fleet stocks them as well.

14. supergrill

supergrill New Member

Not sure that I really agree with the above contention, but something to keep in mind if you're shopping for price is that from what I have been told the Neuvation M28 Aeros are the same rebadged wheelset as the Performance Titan, which they now have on sale for US$160.00 for the set. See:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop...egory_ID=5320&CFID=87430007&CFTOKEN=52238059#

15. sma

sma New Member

i too am considering the zonda's for my next bike. however, i'll probably be going with the Dura Ace group set.

is it considered "faux pas" (sp?) to use campy wheels with shimano components?

16. Strid

Strid New Member

I don't see the problem, really. Dura Ace is nice and so are Zondas. No one can argue with putting the two together. :) Unless they're fanatics, in which case you should not be listening to them in the first pace! I bet someone will consider it "blasphemic" but hey, it's your cool bike and you're not going to get burnt on a pile of wood for it. Only have a cool ride. :)

When you going to get Dura Ace group set, then why not fork out the extra dough and Eurus anyway while you're at it??

To the initial poster, Neuvation wheels seem to be really good value for money, as said. I suggest you at least spend the time to look into them. I've looked at the Zondas, they seem to be a really good set of wheels. Take a look at those aswell before you buy anything at all!!

17. jmoryl

jmoryl New Member

Given the OPs intended use and desire to save money I'd recommend conventional wheels with Mavic or Velocity Aerohead rims laced to Shimano or Campy hubs. If you must have factory built wheels the '06 and later Campy Ventos are hard to beat for the money (comes in a Shimano version too) - they will be significantly less than Zondas mentioned above.

Xero XR-1s are another wheel set that offers good value (around 1600g the pair and always available on eBay at $200) and seem quite durable, despite the reduced spoke count.

18. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

What are you replacing? Your current wheelset would have to be quite heavy, sloppy, worn-out or weak for you to notice much of a difference changing to any of the sets you have mentioned.

19. caferacerwanabe

caferacerwanabe New Member

399.00 last time I checked.:confused:
    Give Steve a ring on 9337 7670