Wheelset compatibility

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
It seems like campagnolo wheels can be often found with big discounts do to sram and shimano being more common. My question is can a campagnolo wheelset be adjusted to be suitable for a shimano/sram groups without breaking the bank?

Certainly. If a shitmaNO / SCRAM freehub body is available you just buy it and swap it out. No big deal if sinking another $40-$100 into the wheelset still comes out less money than some OEM shitmaNO setup runs.

But in my experience it is hard to find better wheel deals than shitmaNo / SCRAM compatible freehub equipped models offer.

Reactions: steve
I am pretty sure 11 speed wheels works across the board.

You can use Campy shifters and derailleurs with shimano or sram cassetted wheels.

Google Leonard Zinn from his Velonews articles to verify

There is 'some' interchangeability among 11-speed mixed manufacturer components. Cassette overhang on the freehub body may vary and chain/chainring/cassette/derailleur function may be slightly compromised (depending on exactly which components are mixed), but as a rule the 11-speed stuff is so close as to be considered interchangeable. Some 10-speed components can also be mixed with 11-speed if an even more mixed Frankenbike is tolerable to the user.

The big question is always 'why'? Other than a neutral support event in a race or being out in the middle of BFE and in need of a part to get underway again...

Sure. There's a price difference. But the quality, price differences and deals on all three (soon to be all five?) major players has always been over blown IMO. And yeah, I directly compare Chorus to Dura-Ass.

I can kind of/sorta see a fellow liking the way shitmaNO or SCRAM shifters function or maybe prefers Campy style shifting but...I've always found mixed groups/speeds/cassettes/wheels to be...different. But no sweat. Different strokes for different folks and Weatherby is certainly most correct in the parts substitution area.

My bikes are all "Frankenbikes" although having one homogeneous group would be far cheaper.

SRAM 1190 cassettes and Dura-Ace chains. Both are bulletproof. Dura ace cassette releiability is suspect. The SRAM is indestructible and I have well over 10,000 miles on some of them. No Smit-Ma-No cassette would last that long.

Rotor 3D+ crank. Rotor QXL rings in 53 and 38. SRAM 11s Red shifters because I like double tap.

Speedplay Frog pedals using position 3 (midsole) on Steve Hogg's website.

Powertap rear hubs. Tires? too many different ones to list.

Leather saddles. Brooks, Berthoud, Rivet, etc.

TRP, dura-ace, and TRI-Rig Omega Brakes.

I still have 1985 C record laying around and also Campy Nuovo Record on my 1972 Italian made Masi.

SRAM 11s Red shifters because I like double tap.

I can see a guy preferring one shift scheme over the others. Whether by chance, familiarity or some perceived logic.

I hate riding my shitmaNO 11-speed bike. I damned near snap the Campy brake levers off sideways for two days after jumping back aboard my Campy stuff.

Campy cassettes sure don't last as long as I would like and their chains define the words, "throw away components". I've got a '80's Bottecchia with C-Record and Delta brakes on it...and those boat anchor SGR clipless pedals. That stuff wore like iron.

The old Campy stuff was the best.

I just don't like the new shifters from an ergo standpoint. Maybe if I ever go electronic shifting, it will be Campy. Campy is sexy. The others look like garbage....I admit it.....I hate the looks of my bikes.

One of the reasons I like SRAM cassettes is the ratios. 11-28 is 11, 12, 13, 14,15, 16, 17, 19, 22, 25, and 28. 11-32 is 11, 12, 13, 14,15, 17, 19, 22, 25, 28, and 32. I mostly use 11-28 and mostly ride a 53x13,14, or 15 on flat roads but it is nice to have that 16 tooth cog is the wind is going at you. I get steep hills where I live and don't have the power I used to and the 28 rarely gets used but when you need, you need it.

Bob...I think the Delta brakes especially if the marque is engrave into the metal....they are worth some serious coin in case you don't know but I'm prolly preaching to the choir

My retirement is predicated on selling other things of value, but I did buy up a metric **** ton of the classic era Campy stuff. From Valentino to Gran Sport to Croce de Aune to Chorus to Record/Super Record. Not much gold-plated stuff, but there are a couple pairs of Cobalto Brakes and such ready to hit eBay someday.

I have both editions of Delta brakes and one set of Croce Deltas. The Croce's are probably the rarest variant.

I have a DeRosa with a fully pantographed group on that might keep my motorhome in diesel fuel for a couple weeks!

Hell, what will a Campy marked spoke protector/dork disk be worth? LOL!

I always wanted a bronze Campy corkscrew but I don't drink much anymore. They are beautiful.

Anyway, I am pretty sure you can go back and forth with wheels on 11 speed but not 10 speed or 9 speed. Have to go back to the 90's and 8 speed to get such compatibility. At 7 speed, it was in the fingers. I was looking at my 13-17 Regina Oro 5 speed FW and the 55-44 rings on my old Masi. Was I stupid idiot? Was thinking of gluing up some new tubulars and dusting it off. Just need an engine.

I was thinking of a motorhome. One of those Mercedes powered Winnebago Views. Not too big. Not sure if I'd like it. I already rented a townhouse in Florida and did not like it. A motorhome gives total flexibility, especially at 15-17 mpg. Probably sell my wine cellar to fuel it.

It seems like campagnolo wheels can be often found with big discounts do to sram and shimano being more common. My question is can a campagnolo wheelset be adjusted to be suitable for a shimano/sram groups without breaking the bank?
FYI. Yes, a Campagnolo compatible rear wheel can be more readily adjusted to work with a Shimano/SRAM groupset than may have been suggested (depending on how you read the preceding remarks) ...

BUT, Campagnolo Cassettes can often be more expensive than Shimano/Sram Cassettes ...

Wheels Manufacturing
makes some over-priced sets of spacers which will allow you to re-stack a set Campagnolo to match Shimano indexing, and vice versa.

While replacing the Freehub body is a viable possibility for SOME hubs, in some cases it may be just as easy (IMO, due to availability) to simply relace a Shimano/-compatible hub on the rim IF the wheelset you are looking at has standard J-bend spokes AND a normal (28h-to-36h ... 24h hubs are less common) spoke count.

If you are a wise shopper, then you can certainly purchase a Shimano rear hub for less than $30 ...

After that, it's just unlace-and-relace and then tension-and-true ...

DONE!​

I was thinking of a motorhome. One of those Mercedes powered Winnebago Views. Not too big. Not sure if I'd like it. I already rented a townhouse in Florida and did not like it. A motorhome gives total flexibility, especially at 15-17 mpg. Probably sell my wine cellar to fuel it.

Like they say...rent one before you buy one. There's a bazillion used motorhomes on the market with low miles.

I'm thinking diesel in the 34'-38' range. Has to have a queen size, minimum; a good shower and separate throne; laundry; kitchen. No need to sleep six, just two in comfort. Must have toy box capability via elevator or power side ramp with room for at least one Harley, the tandem and three road singles. 10KW genny...got the full spec list here somewhere.

Yeah, a stretched Sprinter and trailer would work, but I like self-contained. Oh yeah...must have secure firearm storage and a rapid access handgun safe on the console. Other than a well-stocked booze locker am I forgetting anything? A foot powered turret on top with a pintle mount for my 1919A4?

I'm not counting on much more than 10 MPG highway.

I've got zero vino to part ways with, but there is a metric **** ton of vehicles and equipment that will go when I lease the farm out. Being in the middle of shale oil country and having a lateral end right, smack under the farm house might add me some royalty payments worth cashing the checks for...if oil & gas ever come back to 2008 sales figures. We'll see about that...

Hmmm...I do have that numbered Campy belt buckle set that might bring a Benji on fleaBay.

Actually, my Khamsin wheels come in both Campagnolo 9/10/11 speed and Shimano/Sram 10/11 speed versions. Also my Mische hubs have freehubs for both Campag and shimamo/sram. I ride Campagnolo, of course, because I prefer components that are still viable after 5 years or 10,000 miles....