Wheelset for climbing

Claus Assmann

Guest
I'm looking for a wheelset for my "climbing" bike. It should be
lightweight (because the bike and I am lightweight), and it should
be durable (because the streets around here have many potholes etc).

Currently the following wheelsets are under consideration:

Campagnolo Shamal Ultra (1395g):
- pro: good experience with other Campagnolo wheelsets
- cons: color...

Rolf Elan Aero (1300g):
- pro: even lighter than the Shamal
- cons: unknown quality (hubs, durability)

Excel Sports Swiss Threat (DT RR 1.1 rim, DT 240S hub, DT Revolution
spokes laced; 1416g):
- pro: a colleague has similar wheels and says they are good
- cons: heavier than the others (but only slightly).

Any other pro/cons for these wheelsets?

Other suggestions?

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> a
réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> I'm looking for a wheelset for my "climbing" bike. It should be
> lightweight (because the bike and I am lightweight), and it should
> be durable (because the streets around here have many potholes etc).
>
> Currently the following wheelsets are under consideration:
>
> Campagnolo Shamal Ultra (1395g):
> - pro: good experience with other Campagnolo wheelsets
> - cons: color...
>
> Rolf Elan Aero (1300g):
> - pro: even lighter than the Shamal
> - cons: unknown quality (hubs, durability)
>
> Excel Sports Swiss Threat (DT RR 1.1 rim, DT 240S hub, DT Revolution
> spokes laced; 1416g):
> - pro: a colleague has similar wheels and says they are good
> - cons: heavier than the others (but only slightly).
>
> Any other pro/cons for these wheelsets?
>
> Other suggestions?

Just a short Q - if you're going so fast as to need such wheels, why doesn't
your pro team pick up the bill and get you all 3?
--
Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine

La vie, c'est comme une bicyclette,
il faut avancer pour ne pas perdre l'équilibre.
-- Einstein, A.

On Jul 16, 12:05 pm, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> I'm looking for a wheelset for my "climbing" bike. It should be
> lightweight (because the bike and I am lightweight), and it should
> be durable (because the streets around here have many potholes etc).

The hills you will be climbing with this climbing bike and climbing
wheelset have that many potholes that durability is a key criteria?
Shouldn't a climbing wheelset on a climbing bike be used only for the
big, official climbs you compete in? Such as the Bob Cook ride? 28
miles. Bunch of big cracks and bumps around Summitt Lake, but
otherwise the road is OK.

For a super light wheelset, if not too durable, get a pair of Mavic
GEL280 rims. 300 grams per rim. 28 or 32 spoke. Lightest front hub
you can find. American Classic makes super light front hubs. 80
grams or so. Get a Record or new 10 speed Dura Ace rear hub. Both
very light rear hubs. 250 grams. Skewers, 60 grams each or less with
those high dollar titanium ones. Spokes at 5 grams each. Aluminum
nipples, nothing. You will have a somewhat cheap and very light set
of wheels (under 1200 grams) to use on the special climbing days where
weight might make a difference. Maybe.

> Currently the following wheelsets are under consideration:
>
> Campagnolo Shamal Ultra (1395g):
> - pro: good experience with other Campagnolo wheelsets
> - cons: color...
>
> Rolf Elan Aero (1300g):
> - pro: even lighter than the Shamal
> - cons: unknown quality (hubs, durability)
>
> Excel Sports Swiss Threat (DT RR 1.1 rim, DT 240S hub, DT Revolution
> spokes laced; 1416g):
> - pro: a colleague has similar wheels and says they are good
> - cons: heavier than the others (but only slightly).
>
> Any other pro/cons for these wheelsets?
>
> Other suggestions?

On Jul 16, 7:05 pm, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> I'm looking for a wheelset for my "climbing" bike. It should be
> lightweight (because the bike and I am lightweight), and it should
> be durable (because the streets around here have many potholes etc).
>
> Currently the following wheelsets are under consideration:
>
> Campagnolo Shamal Ultra (1395g):
> - pro: good experience with other Campagnolo wheelsets
> - cons: color...
>
> Rolf Elan Aero (1300g):
> - pro: even lighter than the Shamal
> - cons: unknown quality (hubs, durability)
>
> Excel Sports Swiss Threat (DT RR 1.1 rim, DT 240S hub, DT Revolution
> spokes laced; 1416g):
> - pro: a colleague has similar wheels and says they are good
> - cons: heavier than the others (but only slightly).
>
> Any other pro/cons for these wheelsets?
>
> Other suggestions?

I just built myself a set of 1200g climbing/race wheels for way less
(half?) the price of those you mentioned. They are tubulars however
which may not suit your needs, but this means the total wheelset with
tires can be an additional 100g lighter than a clincher set.

My setup is Mavic Oro 10, American Classic, 28 spoke DT Revolution.
They might be a bit iffy at my high weight, but if you are light they
would be no problem. I've only ridden mine twice so far but I have on
purpose driven through all the potholes I've come across and done wild
uphill sprints leaning the bike back and forth to try to flex the
wheels and so far no problems. I weigh 97kg.

As Russell says, Mavic GEL280 is a great rim. With steel spokes you
could have an 1100g wheelset, with Ti spokes even less but way more $$
$. If you figure nice tubulars at 200g each vs nice clinchers+tubes
+rimstrips at 250g you could have a wheelset with tires that weighs
1500g vs the Shamals at 1895g for maybe half the price. Or at least a
lot cheaper.

That way you don't need your pro team to foot the bill! ;-)

Joseph

In article <[email protected]>, ca+sendmailno-
[email protected] says...

>I'm looking for a wheelset for my "climbing" bike. It should be
>lightweight (because the bike and I am lightweight), and it should
>be durable (because the streets around here have many potholes

etc).

>Currently the following wheelsets are under consideration:
>
>Campagnolo Shamal Ultra (1395g):
>- pro: good experience with other Campagnolo wheelsets
>- cons: color...
>
>Rolf Elan Aero (1300g):
>- pro: even lighter than the Shamal
>- cons: unknown quality (hubs, durability)
>
>Excel Sports Swiss Threat (DT RR 1.1 rim, DT 240S hub, DT

Revolution
>spokes laced; 1416g):
>- pro: a colleague has similar wheels and says they are good
>- cons: heavier than the others (but only slightly).
>
>Any other pro/cons for these wheelsets?
>
>Other suggestions?

The 3rd choice, the DT Swiss hubs and the DT revolution spokes would
be be excellent choices but consider switching to Velocity Aerohead
rims? You'd save about 40 grams on the whole set, the aerohead's
may be slightly stiffer and you can get an OC aerohead which many
feel will build a stonger more durable rear wheel then the DT r1.1

On Jul 16, 11:05 am, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> I'm looking for a wheelset for my "climbing" bike. It should be
> lightweight (because the bike and I am lightweight), and it should
> be durable (because the streets around here have many potholes etc).
>
> Currently the following wheelsets are under consideration:
>
> Campagnolo Shamal Ultra (1395g):
> - pro: good experience with other Campagnolo wheelsets
> - cons: color...
>
> Rolf Elan Aero (1300g):
> - pro: even lighter than the Shamal
> - cons: unknown quality (hubs, durability)
>
> Excel Sports Swiss Threat (DT RR 1.1 rim, DT 240S hub, DT Revolution
> spokes laced; 1416g):
> - pro: a colleague has similar wheels and says they are good
> - cons: heavier than the others (but only slightly).
>
> Any other pro/cons for these wheelsets?
>
> Other suggestions?

DT hubs, Velocity Aerohead rims, Revs in the front, 14/15 in the
rear(maybe 1/2 Revs in the rear)...

On Jul 16, 11:05 am, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> I'm looking for a wheelset for my "climbing" bike. It should be
> lightweight (because the bike and I am lightweight), and it should
> be durable (because the streets around here have many potholes etc).
>
> Currently the following wheelsets are under consideration:
>
> Campagnolo Shamal Ultra (1395g):
> - pro: good experience with other Campagnolo wheelsets
> - cons: color...
>
> Rolf Elan Aero (1300g):
> - pro: even lighter than the Shamal
> - cons: unknown quality (hubs, durability)
>
> Excel Sports Swiss Threat (DT RR 1.1 rim, DT 240S hub, DT Revolution
> spokes laced; 1416g):
> - pro: a colleague has similar wheels and says they are good
> - cons: heavier than the others (but only slightly).
>
> Any other pro/cons for these wheelsets?
>
> Other suggestions?

Is $ an object? If not perhaps Reynolds carbon tubulars...1100 or so
grams but big $.

Or tubulars in general..less weight in general.

On Jul 16, 11:05 am, Claus Assmann <ca+sendmail(no-copies-
please)@mine.informatik.uni-kiel.de> wrote:
> I'm looking for a wheelset for my "climbing" bike. It should be
> lightweight (because the bike and I am lightweight), and it should
> be durable (because the streets around here have many potholes etc).
>
> Currently the following wheelsets are under consideration:
>
> Campagnolo Shamal Ultra (1395g):
> - pro: good experience with other Campagnolo wheelsets
> - cons: color...
>
> Rolf Elan Aero (1300g):
> - pro: even lighter than the Shamal
> - cons: unknown quality (hubs, durability)
>
> Excel Sports Swiss Threat (DT RR 1.1 rim, DT 240S hub, DT Revolution
> spokes laced; 1416g):
> - pro: a colleague has similar wheels and says they are good
> - cons: heavier than the others (but only slightly).

Think they have it kinda backwards. Light rim and adequate spokes in
terms of gauge and number is a lighter, more reliable wheelset than
heavier rim and thin, too few, spokes, IMO.

> Any other pro/cons for these wheelsets?
>
> Other suggestions?

> I'm looking for a wheelset for my "climbing" bike. It should be
> lightweight (because the bike and I am lightweight), and it should
> be durable (because the streets around here have many potholes etc).

Since these are conflicting goals, I'd have to know where you wish to
be on the spectrum of light vs durable... and how much you are willing
to spend to save a few grams. And also what wheels you have used in
the past that you considered to be light but "durable enough". For
custom builds the Alex Crostini 3.1 is lightest clincher rim available
in the US at 385g. Using these rims and other reasonable components
like Tune or M5 hubs and light SS spokes with aluminum nipples it is
easy to get below 1300g (in reality, not "advertised" weight). For
most people though, I think ~1400g is better goal for the "light"
category... stronger and less expensive.

Ron Ruff wrote:
> > I'm looking for a wheelset for my "climbing" bike. It should be
> > lightweight (because the bike and I am lightweight), and it should
> > be durable (because the streets around here have many potholes etc).

> Since these are conflicting goals, I'd have to know where you wish to
> be on the spectrum of light vs durable... and how much you are willing

The wheels should last a few years without giving problems.

> to spend to save a few grams. And also what wheels you have used in

My limit is about $1000.

> the past that you considered to be light but "durable enough". For

On my previous bike (Serotta Atlanta) I used Campagnolo Vento 16HPW
(which are fairly heavy; I bought them with the bike back when I
lived in a "flat" area), when I moved to the Bay Area I bought
Campagnolo Eurus after a while (the Serotta is heavy anyway; I
didn't buy the Eurus because of the weight but because I damaged
one rim by hitting something on the street while going 70 km/h).

> custom builds the Alex Crostini 3.1 is lightest clincher rim available
> in the US at 385g. Using these rims and other reasonable components
> like Tune or M5 hubs and light SS spokes with aluminum nipples it is
> easy to get below 1300g (in reality, not "advertised" weight). For
> most people though, I think ~1400g is better goal for the "light"
> category... stronger and less expensive.

1400g seems like a good target weight for me too. I'll check whether
someone offers to build wheels with those components (and provides
some warranty).

I will also look into the other suggestions (Velocity Aerohead),
thanks to all who responded!