Wheelset for Clydes

Strada.45

Jul 21, 2003
I am 6' and 235 lbs currently. I am picking up my '03 Allez Comp Cro-Mo soon and wanted to reduce the rotational weight and possibly gain a bit more speed to keep up with the local group riders. I know, I know just ride the Shimano R540 wheels that come with the bie until I loose the weight and that will make me faster but I was just curious.

I asked about the Bontrager Race Lites on another board before I found out that they are only a hundred or so grams lighter. Someone mentioned going with Dura Ace hubs and the Open Pro rims but those too are only barely lighter. It looks like to get real weight savings on the wheels I have to go to the high end Mavic's - just how well do those hold to the big boys?

All suggestions and advice welcomed.

Zipp Team Clydesdale 404's. I love mine, and I gain get even fatter since they hold up to 300lbs. Come to think of it I can get a lot fatter.

I can see getting better wheels because of the weight. I need them but it is a bit silly to think you will go faster. the only thing that wil lget you to go faster is you. we are conditioned to belive we need lighter and lighter to go faster. it is all a marketing scam. just ride a extra hour or two a week and you will get faster.

Mavic Krysium - you will hear that they are bomb proof....but I know a couple of big guys who have fractured the rear rim through extended use.... (95kgs type riders)

Mavic Ksyriums all the way.

Looked at R540s as well as Race Lites. Either would be a good race wheel, but I had concerns about hammering on them during training so thus the Ksyriums. It's a great combo of sturdiness and liteness, many folks race them.

The Ksyriums have a great rep around here for durability. But, are any of these "super" wheels really worth using for a club/century rider like me? I'm still on my 32 spoke Mavic MA-3 rims with Ultegra hubs (rebuilds), and seem to coast downhill about as fast as other folks on Ksyriums or Race-Lites.

I'm trying to decide on wheels for the new frame I'll be ordering next month, but not sure I want to spend the extra dough vs a standard 32 spoke wheel on gruppo hubs. I know I don't want to sacrifice durability. So, is there a measureable performance difference?

Here's my question. I start my rides from home heading downhill, and with an aerotuck can just touch 40 mph. Would the Ksyriums or another low-spoke wheel gain me a measureable speed increase on this descent....say 1 or 2 mph or more?

Dan

The biggest change I noticed with the Ksyriums was on sprints and climbs, pure acceleration. At 195lbs I have no problem going downhill!

From what I'm reading on websites, the Mavic Cosmos may be a better wheel for my use. They are claimed to have more durability and ride comfort, while not quite as aero as the lower spoke count wheels. Only a little heavier (50 gm?).

Still, only 20/28 spokes are quite a bit fewer than the 32/MA-3s I ride.....may be a good compromise vs another handbuilt set.

Dan

I have a Cannondale 2004 R800. I am 6'5" and weigh in around 280. The wheels on the bike have gone out of true on each of my first two long rides.

Should I upgrade to a stronger wheel set? If so, which are the best? cost/durability?

Or are the wheels not adjusted properly? I read they should not go out of true for a year or so. I'm afraid the weight my have something to do with it.

bike shop said the would give me full price on an exchange and want insight on my best move.

Thanks.

Tony

Originally posted by Strada.45
I am 6' and 235 lbs currently. I am picking up my '03 Allez Comp Cro-Mo soon and wanted to reduce the rotational weight and possibly gain a bit more speed to keep up with the local group riders. I know, I know just ride the Shimano R540 wheels that come with the bie until I loose the weight and that will make me faster but I was just curious.

I asked about the Bontrager Race Lites on another board before I found out that they are only a hundred or so grams lighter. Someone mentioned going with Dura Ace hubs and the Open Pro rims but those too are only barely lighter. It looks like to get real weight savings on the wheels I have to go to the high end Mavic's - just how well do those hold to the big boys?

I'm 6' and 195 now but was at 220 when I got my Ksyriums. They have been very reliable over about 1250 miles now with very little need of trueing. I had to lay the bike down in the ditch once when a crash occured about 4 riders up in the group and had other riders comming up my backside. The back wheel was hit and it was just out of true enough to get the spoke wrench out for. Adjusted 3 spokes and no problems.

When I was making the decision I was also looking at the Velomax Orion IIs the other guy mentioned, but the shop I bought them from said they had more returns with broken spokes on those and had never had a returned Ksyrium with a broken spoke. That was Lickbike where I bought them.

I think they are the stongest wheel with reasonable weight you can get, but they are pricey.

Originally posted by Strada.45

I'm just a tad OVER your weight class - I have 32 hole mavic CXP33s with straight 15g stainless spokes, laced to Campag chorus hubs and triple crossed. CXP33s in 32 or 36 hole are the rim of choice for (us) really fat dudes. These wheels are absolutely bombproof and still pretty slick. I'd love a set of super slick wheels like ksyriums or eurus, but I'd rather be sure of what's under me for the time being.