Wheelset for Heavier Cyclists

krobohm

May 14, 2006
I am looking to see what wheelset I should purchase, I am a fit 230 lb rider and want see what has worked for others in my weight catagory. I am looking at mid to Areo wheels

krobohm said:
I am looking to see what wheelset I should purchase, I am a fit 230 lb rider and want see what has worked for others in my weight catagory. I am looking at mid to Areo wheels
In your weight category, I suugest Velocity Deep V rims with double butted 14/15 spokes and Ultegra hubs built by a high quality wheel builder. If you are using Campy, then use Centaur hubs.

Forget about low spoke count wheels with your weight. Something sturdy, yet light, like Open Pros would fit the bill. Unless you are super fit already, dropping a few lbs will have a better effect than aero wheels.

We have a local wheel builder making wheels with 36 spoke Alex Double Wall Rims, Steel Spokes on Joytech heavy duty hubs with 9 1/4" balls a side. :eek: Yes, but strong!

I bought a pair for this bike:

I bought a new bike 4 years ago that came with Bontrager Race Light wheels, 20 spoke front/24 spoke rear. I weighed 295 at the time and I used to break a spoke every couple of weeks, mostly on the rear wheel. The mechanic at my LBS built me a rear wheel using a 32 spoke Dura-Ace laced to a Mavic CXP22 using straight 14 gauge SS DT spokes. Only 2 spokes on the front wheel ever broke. The heavy duty replacement wheel is as good as day 1. Stay with a 32 spoke count wheel built by a professional mechanic. You may not need the extra weight of the heavy spokes.

-fb

Frigo's Luggage said:
Mavic Kysrium Elites.
I'm not quite as heavy as you at 210 but after 175 miles so far so good. Generally wheels will go out of true in the first few rides. And generally after that they are OK. So I am happy at this point. My other wheels are Velocity Rims with 32 2X in the back and 28 1X in the front and other than that first truing after 100 miles they have held out well now at 4500 miles.

daveornee said:
In your weight category, I suugest Velocity Deep V rims with double butted 14/15 spokes and Ultegra hubs built by a high quality wheel builder. If you are using Campy, then use Centaur hubs.
I agree very much so with that option. I know someone that is 280 and continues to refuse this recommendation. It has been three years and he is talking of a third wheelset, now.

Low spoke counts are loved by one of the LBS that I happen to call the MOD or Merchant of Death. I had a one bolt seatpost clamp fail on me. Which savings are apparent in these designs?

None.

I had another LBS, which is great, get me Deep V. At one point I managed to detension many of the spokes of the rear wheel. I am a very agressive rider going over abusive terrain and I only weigh 200 pounds. There was very little deflection to either side in the rim.

I've seen the other fellow do open pro's and mavic kyrsiums. I can not recommend them. I have seen many people ride them, but all seem to think that having two sets of wheels are ok, too. Think about it.

Bill
N1EY.com

krobohm said:
I am riding DT Swiss 240's with R1.1 Rims 32 rear and 28 radial front. They have been great I am at a fit 235 and am sold on these. These were also hand built and had to have them trued a few times before the settled in then they trued them up with the spoke prep and have been great ever since!!