Wheelset for heavier riders?

jwb_onz

Mar 26, 2006
Looking for recommendations for a good trade off between strength and weight for a 90kg (200#) rider. Ideally as light as possible, so in the mid to higher end of the spectrum and would be used as everyday training.

thanks in advance.

jwb_onz said:
Looking for recommendations for a good trade off between strength and weight for a 90kg (200#) rider. Ideally as light as possible, so in the mid to higher end of the spectrum and would be used as everyday training.

thanks in advance.
I weigh 225# and ride Record Hubs, Mavic Open Pro rims 32H, and DT Swiss 14/15 gauge spokes. Not much heavier than Kryseriums (the only botique wheel I would ever consider riding). You can substitute hubs with Shimano or Phil Wood and have the same effect. I build my own wheels and have a set with more than 10K miles and are still straight an true (rarely touch the wheels with a spoke wrench more than every other season). You can get a pair of wheels for less than $400 that are competitive with wheel sets costing twice that. Check out www.excelsports.com.

jwb_onz said:

thanks in advance.

Wheels I've heard good reports on from my heavyweight buddies include:
Campy Eurus or Zonda
Spinergy
Rolf vector

My opinion is worth nothing at 62kg.

jwb_onz said:

thanks in advance.
I weigh in at 92kgs and have ridden krysiums (which cracked on the rim)

at the moment I use cxp33 with record hubs 32 h dt spokes - nice and strong

I recommend you get a custom set made up with either 32 or 36 hole...especially if you use them everyday

If you have extra cash get campy eurus for racing.

p.s. dont listen to lite-weight bike shop salesmen...they will sell you anything

MidBunchLurker said:
Wheels I've heard good reports on from my heavyweight buddies include:
Campy Eurus or Zonda
Spinergy
Rolf vector

My opinion is worth nothing at 62kg.
I go about 230 and I ride a set of the Eurus' and Proton's. After 5k miles the Proton's are as true as the day I bought them and the Eurus show no wear, although I only have about 500 miles on them. The Eurus' are really fast. They roll exceptionally well and corner like a dream (I have done two crits in them so far).