Wheelset - Mavic Ksyrium Elites or Campag Zondas?

dougal

Nov 16, 2003
Which one should I get?

Mavic Ksyrium Elites or Campag Zondas?

To go on bike with Centaur

What are the plus/minus?

dougal said:
Which one should I get?

What are the plus/minus?

i've just got my new bike with centaur and zondas. i chose zondas over ksyriums cause everyones got ksyriums, and the zondas a sick looking affordable performance wheelset. i've found with only min. rides since the bike is a week old that the zondas roll very nice, with an excellent purr.

dougal said:
Which one should I get?

What are the plus/minus?

why not go wuith the good ole protons?

look into velomax,
circuit comps seem to get great review, and they only weight 1650.
i am not completly sure if they have are compag compatable though
velomax also have 2 new budget models that are cheaper then circuit comps(circuit comps cost $750 australian), they are the vista(1800g) and the vista sl (1700g)
:)

Actually, I have been pondering a similar question. Ksyrium Elite or American Classic 350 Sprint? The Am Classics are $100 US more expensive, but they are over 300 grams lighter (1331 gm total weight). From all of the reviews I have read, the Am Classics appear to give the best bang for the buck when considering how light they are. I had not considered the Zondas, but maybe I should.

gerardbjr said:
Actually, I have been pondering a similar question. Ksyrium Elite or American Classic 350 Sprint? The Am Classics are $100 US more expensive, but they are over 300 grams lighter (1331 gm total weight). From all of the reviews I have read, the Am Classics appear to give the best bang for the buck when considering how light they are. I had not considered the Zondas, but maybe I should.

300g,thats about 10oz. Do you think you will notice 10oz?

shokhead said:
300g,thats about 10oz. Do you think you will notice 10oz?
Probably not, but save a little weight here and there and it begins to add up. Besides, all else being equal, i'll take the lighter component. If it were only a question of weight, I would already have decided on the American Classic wheelset.

gerardbjr said:

Careful, lots of people are not very happy with the Am Classics Sprint Pros (if that is the model). Apparently the hubs are of rather poor quality and the wheels are not at all rigid. Most guys (ok, two) that have them have more or less stopped using them with the exception of major uphill work.

Disclaimer: I do not own a pair and have never ridden them, so this is hearsay!

From what I've read, both the Ksyriums and the Zondas are pretty strong and stiff, but the Zondas may be more aero. Since they're both proprietary wheelsets, you can forget about repairing them on the move, so nothing to compare there either. I would personally go for the Zondas, purely because I think they look amazing.