Wheelset question

milwaukeehaze

Mar 11, 2005
I have Giant NRS Composite 2 MTB with lots of upgrades. I have set of Bontrager Race Lite Disc wheels that I have used for 2 years w/o any issues. I have some extra cash and would like a new wheelset for racing and go a little lighter that the bontragers (I will use them for training). Here are the 2 options I was thinking of:

Option 1:
Hope Pro II Disc Hubs
Mavic XC717 disc rims
DT Revolution Spokes (alloy nipples)

Option 2:
Spinergy Xyclone wheelset

Both sets would weigh around 1,600 grams total (give or take a few grams) and I have read good things about the Spinergy Set and all of the components in Option 1.

Any advice??

ozelise said:
Why not go tubeless ?
I have considered it since the bontragers wheels I have are tubeless, but I removed the tubeless stems and rim strips. I guess I just didn't feel like venturing into territory unfamiliar to me. Also, I didn't want to add extra rotating weight since I run WTB Epic Wolf tires (475 grams) and Maxxis Flyweight tubes (75 grams) which is a super-light setup. I also run about 45 psi when racing (which is mainly hardpack) and haven't had a flat in 2 years.

Why don't you consider a rim such as Sun Ringle UFO or 0degree. these are 370g and 420g respectively. They are only designed for racing but if you do not thrash your stuff, they should be fine. I'm currently on my way to getting a set of 0degree with DT competeition, and DT OnyX hubs