Wheelset question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joe Murphy, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Joe Murphy

    Joe Murphy Guest

    I am thinking about a new wheel set that I can use for all types of racing. I norrowed it down to
    Shimano Dura ace 7701 wheelset or Bontrager x-lites. There are many other wheel out there but I can
    get these in my price range. Which wheelset would be better? Dura ace is a bit heavier but more aero
    and the x-lites a lighter but not as aero. Help me? If there are anyother ideas of wheels in the
    price range of $400.00 to $600.00 that would be better let me know.

    Joe

    Tags:

  2. Joe-<< I am thinking about a new wheel set that I can use for all types of racing. I norrowed it
    down to Shimano Dura ace 7701 wheelset or Bontrager x-lites.
    >><BR><BR>
    << If there are anyother ideas of wheels in the price range of $400.00 to $600.00 that would be
    better let me know.
    >><BR><BR>

    How about DA hubset, Velocity Aeroheads(Off center rear), 32 DT double butted rear, 3 cross, 28 2
    cross Revs front, laced 2 cross, assuming you are in the 'not heavy' range of rider-In your price,
    weight, performance range w/o propriatary parts, as reliable(or more)....

  3. Bruni

    Bruni Guest

    Since the wheels mentioned are considered for aero and weight attributes, I would consider my
    favorite as a contender:Ritchey Deep Section 16frt,20rr. This is '03, for '04 the count goes up,
    section down slightly, and lighter overall. I havn't ridden the new ones, but the orig. was FAST and
    durable. Tom

    --
    Bruni Bicycles
    "Where art meets science"
    Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Joe-<< I am thinking about a new wheel set that I can use for all types of
    > racing.
    > I norrowed it down to Shimano Dura ace 7701 wheelset or Bontrager x-lites.
    > >><BR><BR>
    > << If there are anyother ideas of wheels in the price range of $400.00 to
    > $600.00
    > that would be better let me know.
    > >><BR><BR>
    >
    > How about DA hubset, Velocity Aeroheads(Off center rear), 32 DT double
    butted
    > rear, 3 cross, 28 2 cross Revs front, laced 2 cross, assuming you are in
    the
    > 'not heavy' range of rider-In your price, weight, performance range w/o
    > propriatary parts, as reliable(or more)....
    >
    > Peter Chisholm
    > Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    > 1833 Pearl St.
    > Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535
    > http://www.vecchios.com
    > "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    >I am thinking about a new wheel set that I can use for all types of racing. I norrowed it down to
    >Shimano Dura ace 7701 wheelset or Bontrager x-lites. There are many other wheel out there but I can
    >get these in my price range. Which wheelset would be better? Dura ace is a bit heavier but more
    >aero and the x-lites a lighter but not as
    aero.
    >Help me? If there are anyother ideas of wheels in the price range of $400.00 to $600.00 that would
    >be better let me know.

    Custom built wheel by a reputable builder. When you crash, not if, it will be cheaper to get the
    wheel fixed. It will also be easier to get parts.
    -------------
    Alex

  5. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Bruni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Since the wheels mentioned are considered for aero and weight attributes,
    > would consider my favorite as a contender:Ritchey Deep Section 16frt,20rr. This is '03, for '04
    > the count goes up, section down slightly, and lighter overall. I havn't ridden the new ones, but
    > the orig. was FAST and durable. Tom

    I've got the Ritchey Pro wheels (20/28) and really like them. Relatively inexpensive, relatively
    aero, relatively light. They accelerate better than my Cosmics but not as well as my 404s.

    Mike

  6. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    Mike S. wrote:

    > I've got the Ritchey Pro wheels (20/28) and really like them. Relatively inexpensive, relatively
    > aero, relatively light. They accelerate better than my Cosmics but not as well as my 404s.

    How did you measure the acceleration of those wheels? Personally, my favorite method is a stopwatch
    and a tall building.

  7. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Mike S. wrote:
    >
    > > I've got the Ritchey Pro wheels (20/28) and really like them.
    Relatively
    > > inexpensive, relatively aero, relatively light. They accelerate better
    than
    > > my Cosmics but not as well as my 404s.
    >
    > How did you measure the acceleration of those wheels? Personally, my favorite method is a
    > stopwatch and a tall building.

    smartass.

    Mike

  8. Joe: The nice thing about the Bontragers are that they're very easy to work on, parts are readily
    available (rare among high-end wheels) and they have a cassette mechanism that never, ever dies.
    Take is apart and grease it once in a while (which is easy, since it requires no special tool) and
    it just goes on and on and on.

    "JOE MURPHY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am thinking about a new wheel set that I can use for all types of
    racing.
    > I norrowed it down to Shimano Dura ace 7701 wheelset or Bontrager x-lites. There are many other
    > wheel out there but I can get these in my price
    range.
    > Which wheelset would be better? Dura ace is a bit heavier but more aero and the x-lites a
    > lighter but not
    as aero.
    > Help me? If there are anyother ideas of wheels in the price range of $400.00 to
    $600.00
    > that would be better let me know.
    >
    > Joe

  9. Andres Muro

    Andres Muro Guest

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Bruni" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Since the wheels mentioned are considered for aero and weight attributes,
    > > would consider my favorite as a contender:Ritchey Deep Section 16frt,20rr. This is '03, for '04
    > > the count goes up, section down slightly, and lighter overall. I havn't ridden the new ones, but
    > > the orig. was FAST and durable. Tom
    > >

    > I've got the Ritchey Pro wheels (20/28) and really like them. Relatively inexpensive, relatively
    > aero, relatively light. They accelerate better than my Cosmics but not as well as my 404s.
    >
    > Mike

    BullCrap!!

  10. Andres Muro

    Andres Muro Guest

    [email protected] (JOE MURPHY) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am thinking about a new wheel set that I can use for all types of racing. I norrowed it down to
    > Shimano Dura ace 7701 wheelset or Bontrager x-lites. There are many other wheel out there but I
    > can get these in my price range. Which wheelset would be better? Dura ace is a bit heavier but
    > more aero and the x-lites a lighter but not as aero. Help me? If there are anyother ideas of
    > wheels in the price range of $400.00 to $600.00 that would be better let me know.
    >
    > Joe

    Mavic CXP21 rims with shimano 2200 hubs, 32 whole 14 gauge spokes. They are $99 at nashbar. When you
    get them, make sure that you tighten and stress releive the spokes. They'll be indestructible.

    I have cxp21 with campy veloce hubs. Mine accelerate twice better than the dura ace, 1/2 better than
    the campy scirocco, and 1/4 better than the ritchey pros. They also accelerate two times worse than
    the HEDS 3300.

    When climbing they climb 1/3 better than the mavic cosmics, but equal to the mavic cosmos

    Please consider that this are approximations and not exact numbers. Let me know if you want to know
    my research method.

    Andres

  11. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > > Since the wheels mentioned are considered for aero and weight
    attributes,
    > > > would consider my favorite as a contender:Ritchey Deep Section
    16frt,20rr.
    > > > This is '03, for '04 the count goes up, section down slightly, and
    lighter
    > > > overall. I havn't ridden the new ones, but the orig. was FAST and
    durable.
    > > > Tom
    > > >

    > > I've got the Ritchey Pro wheels (20/28) and really like them.
    Relatively
    > > inexpensive, relatively aero, relatively light. They accelerate better
    than
    > > my Cosmics but not as well as my 404s.
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > BullCrap!!

    Fine, you can come down and test all three pair of wheels and tell me what you think.

    I've ridden all three in varying situations, have you?

    Mike

  12. Andres Muro

    Andres Muro Guest

    David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > andres muro <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : Let me know if you want to know my research method.
    >
    > i sure do.

    I used stop watch, tall building, the tools used by terry morse for measuring acceleration. I added
    a spring board at the bottom for measuring clinmbing.

    Andres