Wheelset question



Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Murphy

Guest
I am thinking about a new wheel set that I can use for all types of racing. I norrowed it down to
Shimano Dura ace 7701 wheelset or Bontrager x-lites. There are many other wheel out there but I can
get these in my price range. Which wheelset would be better? Dura ace is a bit heavier but more aero
and the x-lites a lighter but not as aero. Help me? If there are anyother ideas of wheels in the
price range of $400.00 to $600.00 that would be better let me know.

Joe
 
Q

Qui Si Parla Ca

Guest
Joe-<< I am thinking about a new wheel set that I can use for all types of racing. I norrowed it
down to Shimano Dura ace 7701 wheelset or Bontrager x-lites.
>><BR><BR>
<< If there are anyother ideas of wheels in the price range of $400.00 to $600.00 that would be
better let me know.
>><BR><BR>

How about DA hubset, Velocity Aeroheads(Off center rear), 32 DT double butted rear, 3 cross, 28 2
cross Revs front, laced 2 cross, assuming you are in the 'not heavy' range of rider-In your price,
weight, performance range w/o propriatary parts, as reliable(or more)....

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
 
B

Bruni

Guest
Since the wheels mentioned are considered for aero and weight attributes, I would consider my
favorite as a contender:Ritchey Deep Section 16frt,20rr. This is '03, for '04 the count goes up,
section down slightly, and lighter overall. I havn't ridden the new ones, but the orig. was FAST and
durable. Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
brunibicycles.com
410.426.3420
Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Joe-<< I am thinking about a new wheel set that I can use for all types of
> racing.
> I norrowed it down to Shimano Dura ace 7701 wheelset or Bontrager x-lites.
> >><BR><BR>
> << If there are anyother ideas of wheels in the price range of $400.00 to
> $600.00
> that would be better let me know.
> >><BR><BR>
>
> How about DA hubset, Velocity Aeroheads(Off center rear), 32 DT double
butted
> rear, 3 cross, 28 2 cross Revs front, laced 2 cross, assuming you are in
the
> 'not heavy' range of rider-In your price, weight, performance range w/o
> propriatary parts, as reliable(or more)....
>
> Peter Chisholm
> Vecchio's Bicicletteria
> 1833 Pearl St.
> Boulder, CO, 80302
> (303)440-3535
> http://www.vecchios.com
> "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
 
A

Alex Rodriguez

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
>
>I am thinking about a new wheel set that I can use for all types of racing. I norrowed it down to
>Shimano Dura ace 7701 wheelset or Bontrager x-lites. There are many other wheel out there but I can
>get these in my price range. Which wheelset would be better? Dura ace is a bit heavier but more
>aero and the x-lites a lighter but not as
aero.
>Help me? If there are anyother ideas of wheels in the price range of $400.00 to $600.00 that would
>be better let me know.

Custom built wheel by a reputable builder. When you crash, not if, it will be cheaper to get the
wheel fixed. It will also be easier to get parts.
-------------
Alex
 
M

Mike S.

Guest
"Bruni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Since the wheels mentioned are considered for aero and weight attributes,
I
> would consider my favorite as a contender:Ritchey Deep Section 16frt,20rr. This is '03, for '04
> the count goes up, section down slightly, and lighter overall. I havn't ridden the new ones, but
> the orig. was FAST and durable. Tom
>

I've got the Ritchey Pro wheels (20/28) and really like them. Relatively inexpensive, relatively
aero, relatively light. They accelerate better than my Cosmics but not as well as my 404s.

Mike
 
T

Terry Morse

Guest
Mike S. wrote:

> I've got the Ritchey Pro wheels (20/28) and really like them. Relatively inexpensive, relatively
> aero, relatively light. They accelerate better than my Cosmics but not as well as my 404s.

How did you measure the acceleration of those wheels? Personally, my favorite method is a stopwatch
and a tall building.
--
terry morse Palo Alto, CA http://www.terrymorse.com/bike/
 
M

Mike S.

Guest
"Terry Morse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Mike S. wrote:
>
> > I've got the Ritchey Pro wheels (20/28) and really like them.
Relatively
> > inexpensive, relatively aero, relatively light. They accelerate better
than
> > my Cosmics but not as well as my 404s.
>
> How did you measure the acceleration of those wheels? Personally, my favorite method is a
> stopwatch and a tall building.

smartass.

Mike
 
M

Mike Jacoubowsk

Guest
Joe: The nice thing about the Bontragers are that they're very easy to work on, parts are readily
available (rare among high-end wheels) and they have a cassette mechanism that never, ever dies.
Take is apart and grease it once in a while (which is easy, since it requires no special tool) and
it just goes on and on and on.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"JOE MURPHY" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am thinking about a new wheel set that I can use for all types of
racing.
> I norrowed it down to Shimano Dura ace 7701 wheelset or Bontrager x-lites. There are many other
> wheel out there but I can get these in my price
range.
> Which wheelset would be better? Dura ace is a bit heavier but more aero and the x-lites a
> lighter but not
as aero.
> Help me? If there are anyother ideas of wheels in the price range of $400.00 to
$600.00
> that would be better let me know.
>
> Joe
 
A

Andres Muro

Guest
"Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Bruni" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Since the wheels mentioned are considered for aero and weight attributes,
> I
> > would consider my favorite as a contender:Ritchey Deep Section 16frt,20rr. This is '03, for '04
> > the count goes up, section down slightly, and lighter overall. I havn't ridden the new ones, but
> > the orig. was FAST and durable. Tom
> >
>
> I've got the Ritchey Pro wheels (20/28) and really like them. Relatively inexpensive, relatively
> aero, relatively light. They accelerate better than my Cosmics but not as well as my 404s.
>
> Mike

BullCrap!!
 
A

Andres Muro

Guest
[email protected] (JOE MURPHY) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am thinking about a new wheel set that I can use for all types of racing. I norrowed it down to
> Shimano Dura ace 7701 wheelset or Bontrager x-lites. There are many other wheel out there but I
> can get these in my price range. Which wheelset would be better? Dura ace is a bit heavier but
> more aero and the x-lites a lighter but not as aero. Help me? If there are anyother ideas of
> wheels in the price range of $400.00 to $600.00 that would be better let me know.
>
> Joe

Mavic CXP21 rims with shimano 2200 hubs, 32 whole 14 gauge spokes. They are $99 at nashbar. When you
get them, make sure that you tighten and stress releive the spokes. They'll be indestructible.

I have cxp21 with campy veloce hubs. Mine accelerate twice better than the dura ace, 1/2 better than
the campy scirocco, and 1/4 better than the ritchey pros. They also accelerate two times worse than
the HEDS 3300.

When climbing they climb 1/3 better than the mavic cosmics, but equal to the mavic cosmos

Please consider that this are approximations and not exact numbers. Let me know if you want to know
my research method.

Andres
 
M

Mike S.

Guest
> > Since the wheels mentioned are considered for aero and weight
attributes,
> > I
> > > would consider my favorite as a contender:Ritchey Deep Section
16frt,20rr.
> > > This is '03, for '04 the count goes up, section down slightly, and
lighter
> > > overall. I havn't ridden the new ones, but the orig. was FAST and
durable.
> > > Tom
> > >
> >
> > I've got the Ritchey Pro wheels (20/28) and really like them.
Relatively
> > inexpensive, relatively aero, relatively light. They accelerate better
than
> > my Cosmics but not as well as my 404s.
> >
> > Mike
>
> BullCrap!!

Fine, you can come down and test all three pair of wheels and tell me what you think.

I've ridden all three in varying situations, have you?

Mike
 
A

Andres Muro

Guest
David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> andres muro <[email protected]> wrote:
> : Let me know if you want to know my research method.
>
> i sure do.

I used stop watch, tall building, the tools used by terry morse for measuring acceleration. I added
a spring board at the bottom for measuring clinmbing.

Andres
 
Status
Not open for further replies.