Wheelset questions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by rparedes, Feb 13, 2008.

1. rparedes

rparedes New Member

Looking at upgrading my wheels. Looking at Easton Vista, XERO XR1 and Vuelta XRP Pro. All of them are about the same price range $170 to $210 (i'm on a very limited budget) all of them seem to be comparable in weight (about 1550 to 1780 grams) and all have aero spokes-anything would be an improvement over my current 2200 gram wheels.
    Looking at mostly training, club rides, maybe a few centuries but typically not more than 120 miles per week. I am leaning towards the Xero XR1 ($210) as a first choice and then the Vueltas ($180) but have not been able to get much info on them. Any feedback on the Vuelta XRP pro? anybody riding Xeros XR1's?
    thanks

Tags:

2. PeterF

PeterF New Member

Assuming you have a Shimano set up, In that range I would look at an Open Pro/Ultegra set up. I have seen them for as low as $199. Quality rim and hub, repairable, tough, and plenty fast.

3. Pharaoh1

Pharaoh1 New Member

I bought a Fuji Team Pro 2 years ago and it came with the Easton Vistas. Over the two years that I owned the Fuji I swapped everything out for higher end components except for the wheels. The Vista's aren't incredibly light, but the hubs are amazing. They spin effortlessly. I've conducted non-scientific experiments with my riding buddies and doing my best to control for variables(weight, rider position etc) the Vista wheels out roll them(Mavic, Shimano) every
    time.

They're also pretty durable; I'm 6'00 and weigh about 190.

I recently bought a Specialized Tarmac frame off Ebay and swapped everything over. No plans on "upgrading" the wheels anytime soon. Good luck!

Scott

4. rparedes

rparedes New Member

Yes, Shimano.
    XR1: 1520 grams; Vuelta's: 1684 grams; Vista: 1797 grams; Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra: At least the one I found, was 1950 grams and more expensive than the Xeros. I'll probably go for the lighter set as long as they are good, durable wheels. I found some good reviews on the Xero XR1 but nothing on the Vuelta's
    Thanks!

5. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Total wheel weight shouldn't be the only factor you look at. The Open 4 rims will probably be lighter and the wheel built with 32 spokes should be stiffer too. From past experience they've been pretty bombproof. Not quite on a par with the old Mavic SSC's but I've never killed one in a pothole but I have worn the braking surface down paper thin and had a blowout - but that was riding crazy miles in the English winters with lots rain, snow, grit and rocksalt on the roads....

6. dwaller

dwaller New Member

I have the Xero XR-1's and don't really like them that much. On the front rim, the "seam" (where two ends are attached to make a circular rim) is failing, which is causing severe braking pulsation. The rims sound quite light when "pinged"; the light weight may cause them to be less than robust. They are fairly stiff wheels radially, so are somewhat uncomfortable (compared to all my other wheels - which are of a large variety). The have significant lateral flex, so brake pad rub on the rear wheel can be a problem when out of the saddle. Although the rims are 30 mm deep, the spokes are round 14/15 db, so they may not be as aero as shallower rims with bladed or oval spokes. I don't have many miles on them, so it didn't take much use for the front rim to develop problems - this was with a 125 lb rider putting on most of the miles, and a 165 lb rider (me) putting on just a few miles.