Wheelset recommendations -- sub-$150

ryanspeer

Jul 19, 2006
I'm sure there's a plethora of threads about wheelsets already, but I figured I'd start one tailored to me. I'll probably have a budget of about $150 or less to spend on a set of wheels (should I actually choose to replace the Spinergy Rev-X's on a bike I just bought) and am looking for some suggestions for aggressive riding, but at an amature/relatively-experienced level. I have no plans on racing any time soon (perhaps in a few years though), but do plan on tackling anything from extended flatland rides to extreme hills also (and any combination of the two).

I love the look of a set of aero-style rims, but don't want to be a sucker who buys solely on appearances. Quality is obviosly priority #1, but looks obviously play a factor in the ultimate choice also. 700c, clincher is what I'll be wanting, and preferably something black colored. Used or new makes no real difference to me, unless I can save a worthwhile amount of money by buying used (which I'm prepared to do).

Any brands notorious for poor performance (poor breaking, breakages, staying tru, etc.)? Any that are a remarkable bang for the buck? Please keep in mind that I've been absent from the cycling community since probably 1999/2000 and really don't have much of a clue about new advancements and manufacturers since then.

Advice/recommendations?

ryanspeer said:
I'm sure there's a plethora of threads about wheelsets already, but I figured I'd start one tailored to me. I'll probably have a budget of about $150 or less to spend on a set of wheels (should I actually choose to replace the Spinergy Rev-X's on a bike I just bought) and am looking for some suggestions for aggressive riding, but at an amature/relatively-experienced level. I have no plans on racing any time soon (perhaps in a few years though), but do plan on tackling anything from extended flatland rides to extreme hills also (and any combination of the two).

I love the look of a set of aero-style rims, but don't want to be a sucker who buys solely on appearances. Quality is obviosly priority #1, but looks obviously play a factor in the ultimate choice also. 700c, clincher is what I'll be wanting, and preferably something black colored. Used or new makes no real difference to me, unless I can save a worthwhile amount of money by buying used (which I'm prepared to do).

Any brands notorious for poor performance (poor breaking, breakages, staying tru, etc.)? Any that are a remarkable bang for the buck? Please keep in mind that I've been absent from the cycling community since probably 1999/2000 and really don't have much of a clue about new advancements and manufacturers since then.

Advice/recommendations?
Chucks Bikes has some wheelsets for under $200 that are nice. Sub $150 is a tough figure to approach.

I just bought Performance Bike Titans for $140 a pair. They're aero and bladed spokes, but riders should weigh less than 200 lbs. I hit 29.6 mph on them on my OCR 1 with panniers.

Alex300 (aka Performance Gemini), Sunrise Cyclery, $150, clones of Bontrager Select.