Wheelset Thoughts????

spiel

Jan 29, 2005
I need some advice on two wheelsets. I like FSA in general, and I like the RD-
200. However, they don't seem to get the best personal reviews because they don't stay true very long.

Other set is Mavic Ksyrium Equipe. Which is the better if the two for this price range?

Thank you.

Better than either of those two in that price range IMO are the Campy Scirocco's - hands down.

Love my Sciroccos. 3 seasons and a zillion kms without an issue. And they look cool.

sooray02 said:
Any comments on Ritchey Z Road WCS DS Wheelset?
My roomie has Ritchey Pro Aero Road's or whatever model they are on her K2 Mach S, but she hardly ever rides, so...?

Stick with Mavic, cant go wrong.

I've got the Cosmic Carbon, Ksyruims, Cosmos and Open Pro's on Ultegra hubs and never have they given me any problems.

franco1 said:
Stick with Mavic, cant go wrong.

I've got the Cosmic Carbon, Ksyruims, Cosmos and Open Pro's on Ultegra hubs and never have they given me any problems.

Yeah.. I see that. I have a pair of Cosmos. I've put about 12,000 miles and it's still in great shape.

However, I just purchased the Ritchey wheelset for $250. It's a brand new and 1600g. It's supposed to get here by this weekend. Hopefully I made a right decision.

The reason that I got the Ritchey wheelset was price. I mean.. look at the prices of Mavic products. Seems like Euro exchange rate is keep going up and up. So... I didn't have much choice with my budget; considering me going school for full-time and working part-time.

Once I get the internship that I wanted, I'll be banking and have some money to invest on my bike.

sooray02 said:
Yeah.. I see that. I have a pair of Cosmos. I've put about 12,000 miles and it's still in great shape.

However, I just purchased the Ritchey wheelset for $250. It's a brand new and 1600g. It's supposed to get here by this weekend. Hopefully I made a right decision.

The reason that I got the Ritchey wheelset was price. I mean.. look at the prices of Mavic products. Seems like Euro exchange rate is keep going up and up. So... I didn't have much choice with my budget; considering me going school for full-time and working part-time.

Once I get the internship that I wanted, I'll be banking and have some money to invest on my bike.

Finance is always bad, and being in South Africa we really get knocked with exchange rates.

Personally I'll stick to Mavic, unless I'd get given another pair of wheels.
I wish mavic could sponsor me some wheel sets, seeing I give them so much advertising!!!!!

spiel said:
I need some advice on two wheelsets. I like FSA in general, and I like the RD-
200. However, they don't seem to get the best personal reviews because they don't stay true very long.

Other set is Mavic Ksyrium Equipe. Which is the better if the two for this price range?

Thank you.
I don't know about the FSA's but I just sold a pair of Ksyrium Equipes off a bike I bought of which I will only be using the frame and I was very surprised about the smoothness of the bearings in particular and the overall feel of quality at this price (I normally buy top-end stuff). The only downside seems to be the weight and there's a lot of it!

Do youself a favor and take a look at Bontrager wheels. I have the Race Lites...and they are a first class set of wheels. I love them.

Thanks for the advice guys. I ordered a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Equipe, should be here by end of week. The weight was the only con I seem to hear riders complain about, which I can live with it considering it gives better strength for those Pittsburgh roads.

Campy makes nice wheels, but I have Shimano setup.

In my research, I've read anothing but good things about the Cane Creek Volos SS. I gave them a thought, but the hubs on the Ksyrium won that battle quick. Still, sweet wheels, and sub 1690 grams.