Wheelset to replace Bontragers

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by eleven24, Jul 30, 2007.

1. eleven24

eleven24 New Member

First off... 210lbs, ride about 2-3k mi per year on a 2004 Trek 5200. I went to go out for a ride yesterday & the rear hub was cracked, so I'm now looking for a new wheelset.

So I need some advice. I'm not going to be racing, but I do ride a lot of hills. I want something that is durable and light, preferably < $600. I'm considering the Mavic Ksyrium Elite's...

I'm certianly not up on all of the items out there. I love my bike, and I love riding... just need some advice on what I should be looking at.

Thanks.

Tags:

2. capwater

capwater New Member

Bigger folks ought to steer clear of low spoke count wheels (Mavic Elites, Bonty Race serie, etc) especially if you're not racing. Lots of great reviews with something like a 32 hole Mavic open Pro.

3. Sikhandar

Sikhandar New Member

Assemble!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tune Hubs + DT Swiss INOX spokes + 32 holes rim (exemple: Mavic Reflex or Mavic Open Pro) and gooooo!!! I created: front wheel Tune MIG70, DT swiss spokes + 32 holes rim Ambrosio Crono F20 /// rear wheel the same with a hub Tune MAG190 = 1395 grams total!!! And I spent about 300 €.

Consider also DT Swiss Hubs, they're exceptional.

4. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Sikhandar has a point. I have begun building all of my wheels and it is fun if you like that sort of thing. It is also satisfying when you jump on your bike and take off on perfectly built wheels. I've been lucky and have not pringled a wheel yet.

I do have a set of race Bontys on my road bike(only wheels I own that I didn't build) and I weigh in at 215 lbs. I hope my hub doesn't crack because I absolutely love the ride I get on these wheels.

5. veloci

veloci New Member

Get a set of 2005 Eurus and you will be set. bomb proof, fast and they will last forever. there are a couple of sets on e-bay, but, they are rare and they do sell quickly.

6. eleven24

eleven24 New Member

Thanks for the input everyone.

Went to my LBS today & the manager told me that since my bike is a 2004 (meaning relatively new) he believes that Trek would give me a replacement set of Bonty Race Lites. He said that Trek has been really good as of late giving replacement wheelsets, providing the bike was purchased from an authorized Trek dealer & there has been only one owner. He's apparently had a few '03 - '05 bikes come in with cracked rear hubs & on each occasion Trek gave them free '07 equivalent replacements.

All I need to dig up is my original receipt - which is easier said than done considering we just moved & everything is in boxes.

If the warranty falls through I'll def. look into building my own.

Thanks again