Wheelset upgrade for 290lb roadie

nola-ron

Mar 6, 2013
Anyone offer any suggestions for a good strong, but not incredibly heavy wheelset for me @ 290lbs? I'm reading that I should get 32 or 36 spoke wheels, which is good, but picking a wheel is the hard part! I'm still very new and don't know what brands are good, etc. I would like to spend around $300 but can go up to $500 if necessary... $1k wheels are out of the question for me at this point! I'm hooked on my bike, but that will be a reward when I've lost about 50lbs :)

Also, I have a Trek 1.1 with Botranger wheels and run the tires at 110psi. So far I've had no issues with them but would like to know I have strong wheels and also something lighter/faster would be great. I would also like to upgrade the tires while I'm at it.

Thanks!

You may want to contact Trek to see what they recommend for weight limits, you may be OK on your current set. Don't expect much / any performance gain by switching to lighter or fancy wheels.

Its probably best to go with custom built sets. You should be able to get a quality set, or at least a rear wheel for $300. A wheel built around a shimano Tiagra or better hub will serve you well.

On the cheaper end of the spectrum. I have been using a set of Corsa HD wheels from nashbar. They held up very nicely since I bought them, still super straight - no retruing needed. They are traditional 36 spoke wheels with a 30mm deep rim.