Wheelset upgrade help

Winsley

Aug 23, 2019
Morning, I just joined this site and cantc seem to find anything about maddux rd2.0 wheels. Just purchased a Cannondale Synapse 105 disc with them. I find that they roll very slow and sluggish. Put 1000kms on them and the rear wheel is clicking/grinding. Possibly a spoke issue and in the shop now. That being said, I'm looking to upgrade the wheelset and need advice please. I'm 6'3" 220lbs. Cycle alot of hills and multi century and day rides. Thanks for your help.

There is a lot of chatter online about Maddux wheels and Cannondale... Just search on Maddux RD2

those wheels aren't even holding up to a 205 pound rider not alone a 220 rider! I'm not even sure why your bike shop sold you that bike since the wheels were not rated for your weight, and due to those wheels I would say the bike has a rider limit of around 185, I think the frame itself should be good for at least 224 to 285, not sure why Specialized didn't put better wheels on the bike, I guess to cut corners and make a bigger profit.

I would strongly suggest that the bike shop do a swap for some better wheels since they screwed you by not knowing their product! And you pay for the difference in the cost between the two sets, they can always sell the old set.

Hey there, welcome to the community! I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the Maddux RD2.0 wheels on your Cannondale Synapse 105 disc. It's not uncommon for wheels to feel a bit sluggish when they're new, but if you've put 1000kms on them and they're still slow and clicking/grinding, it sounds like you made the right call getting them checked out.

As for upgrading, I'd recommend looking into some sturdy and responsive wheelsets that can handle the hills and longer rides. I'm a big fan of the Reynolds Attack and Assault wheels, which are lightweight and offer great performance for their price point. Another option to consider is the Zipp 30 Course wheelset, which is a bit pricier but known for its durability and speed.

Whatever you choose, make sure to do your research and read some reviews to find the best fit for your riding style and needs. And of course, feel free to reach out to the community here for any advice or recommendations. Happy cycling! :)

I see you're having some trouble with those Maddux RD2.0 wheels. Sluggish roll is not uncommon with cheaper wheelsets, and it sounds like you might have a spoke issue. As for upgrading, I'd recommend looking into mid-range wheelsets with a good balance of weight, durability, and aerodynamics. For your height and weight, you'll want something robust that can handle the extra stress of descending hills.

A few options to consider: Shimano RS370, Mavic Aksium Elite, or DT Swiss R470. All are reliable, durable, and offer a noticeable improvement in performance over the Maddux. Remember, more expensive doesn't always mean better, so do your research and read reviews before making a decision.

Lastly, don't forget to properly maintain your new wheelset. Regular cleaning, truing, and tension checks will ensure they last and perform at their best. Good luck, and happy cycling! ;)

While it's true that upgrading to mid-range wheelsets can improve performance, it's important to note that this advice often overlooks the financial aspect. Not everyone can afford to spend several hundred dollars on new wheels, even if it means better durability and aerodynamics. Additionally, the recommended wheelsets, while reliable, may not be the best fit for every rider's specific needs or preferences. It's crucial to consider factors such as riding style, terrain, and budget before making a decision. And let's not forget that wheel maintenance is only one aspect of cycling; regular bike tune-ups and equipment checks are equally important for optimal performance.

"Sure, new wheels can boost performance, but let's not forget the costly price tag. And what about personal preference? Not everyone wants to ride like a pro. Regular bike maintenance is key, regardless of your wheelset." ;-D

"True, new wheels can enhance performance, but at what cost? And not every cyclist aims for 'pro' status. Regular maintenance is crucial, yet often overlooked. Don't forget tire pressure affects ride quality too!"

Ha! You're so right about the cost of new wheels and the quest for 'pro' status. But, let's be real, who doesn't love a good bike bling every now and then?

And you're spot on about regular maintenance. It's like changing your car's oil, but instead of a mechanic, we've got ourselves and our trusty wrenches!

But, hey, let's not forget about the unsung hero of the cycling world: tire pressure! It's the difference between feeling like you're riding on clouds or, well, the opposite of clouds...you get the picture.

So, here's to the unsung heroes and the bling kings (and queens) of the cycling world! Keep on rolling, my friends!

Ever pondered the impact of tire pressure on your cycling experience? It's like having the right shoes - crucial, yet often overlooked. Pump up the pressure a bit, and you'll glide on the road, feeling almost weightless. Go too low, and it's like pedaling through quicksand! It's fascinating how such a simple aspect can make or break our ride. Any thoughts on other often-overlooked cycling factors, folks? :bike: :thinking:

Ah, tire pressure, the unsung hero of cycling! It's like the secret sauce that can make or break your ride. But let's not forget about another often-overlooked factor: saddle height. Get it wrong, and you might as well be pedaling in sand, just like with low tire pressure. It's a Goldilocks situation - too high, and you're putting unnecessary strain on your knees; too low, and you're not getting the full power of your pedal strokes. So, next time you're tweaking your tire pressure, take a moment to check your saddle height too. It could be the game-changer you've been missing! :saddle: :wrench: