Wheelset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Paul, May 15, 2003.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I am considering purchasing a Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheelset and am wondering if it is better to
    get a custom wheelset made instead. Which is the better value and for a similar value which is
    better built?

    Tags:

  2. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Thu, 15 May 2003 23:39:17 -0400, "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I am considering purchasing a Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheelset and am wondering if it is better to
    >get a custom wheelset made instead. Which is the better value and for a similar value which is
    >better built?

    A good builder will make a set of troublefree wheels that you will get bored of before you wear them
    out. That's a good value.

    The Ksyriums come through consistant and usually a loose. With handbuilt wheels, your chances of
    getting a high quality build are diminishing daily.

  3. Paul-<< I am considering purchasing a Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheelset and am wondering if it is better
    to get a custom wheelset made instead. Which is the better value and for a similar value which is
    better built?

    Look at weight, performance, use of unique to the wheel parts and price..On these points, a hand
    made wheelset designed for you and your needs is the best idea, best value.

  4. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am considering purchasing a Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL wheelset and am wondering if it is better to
    > get a custom wheelset made instead. Which is the better value and for a similar value which is
    > better built?

    The best value is to buy a set of machine made wheels and tension, stress relieve, and true them
    yourself. It really doesn't take too long or requie much skill. From then on, you're pretty much on
    your way to wheel independence.