wheelset

ride4him

Jan 30, 2005
I going to build a new wheelset for my Langster. I'm thinking of Mavic open pro rims with a Surly flip flop hub using standard DT Swiss spokes (32). Any thoughts on this? I see a lot of people using Velocity deep V rims but I'm not a track racer this bike is for commuting.

If you're trying to save some cash, go for the open sports. They're the exact same as the pro's except the spoke eyelets aren't finished and rounded over. Assuming you'll be using a quality cloth rim strip, it's not really worth twice the price.

lbraasch said:
If you're trying to save some cash, go for the open sports. They're the exact same as the pro's except the spoke eyelets aren't finished and rounded over. Assuming you'll be using a quality cloth rim strip, it's not really worth twice the price.
Do the open sports have a welded rim like the open pro's? Supposedly the 08 open pro's have "new" features, although I do not know what they are.

lbraasch said:
Oh yeah, I'm definitely using velox rim tape not some plastic strip.

ride4him said:
I going to build a new wheelset for my Langster. I'm thinking of Mavic open pro rims with a Surly flip flop hub using standard DT Swiss spokes (32). Any thoughts on this? I see a lot of people using Velocity deep V rims but I'm not a track racer this bike is for commuting.
Nothing Mavic makes will hold up as well as Velocity Deep V. The welded rim joint looks nice and feels smooth to start, but it isn't better in the long run than a sleeved joint such as those used on all Velocity rims.
commuters, messengers, and recreational riders all have better results around Chicagoland with Velocity rims.

Go with double butted spokes (I use DT Swiss)...a few pennies more but certainly worth it.

Now what I am after is, I wish to put some mag wheels on my fixie, there are some great one on eBay for around £160 a pair. They are flip flop fixed and freewheel, BUT the sad fact is their 26".

I have used these mags (composite) before on a mountain bike, but wish to purchase the fixed gear version. The axle on the rear is 120mm wide which is perfect for single speed bikes, but the wheels are 26" which is fine if you don't want to have brakes, but if you are going to use the bike in freewheel mode than you must put brakes on them.

Without changing the forks (also the front wheel is not disc compatible) can I buy a extra long reach caliper that would drop low enough to catch the rim of a 26" wheel?

Attachments

• street bike.jpg
    street bike.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 5