Wheelsets.....HUMMM?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by nando26, Aug 10, 2007.

1. nando26

nando26 New Member

:confused: I could use a little help from the fine panel. I ready to buy a new wheelset. The problem is the usual......WHICH ONES.

The choices are:
    Bontrager Aeolus 6.5
    Zipp 404 or
    Easton Tempest II

I plan on installing them on a Cannondale System 6.

Thanks,
    Nando

Tags:

2. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

I personally like the Bontragers but the other two chioces are fine wheels too. Why do people keep asking these wheel questions. Everybody has a set that works best for them, and it is as personal a preference as saddles.

3. nando26

nando26 New Member

The reason I ask, is I like to get positive feedback from people who own these wheels. Since I'm not as smart as you, I need to ask. The smartest person is not the one who thinks he/she has all the answers, but the one who ask's questions.

But thanks for your response.

4. FreeHueco

FreeHueco New Member

There is a search function for this site... Surely someone has asked about these particular wheels before. My advice is to get a set of ROL wheels if they are in your price range. You will not be disapointed...

5. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

1. Use that pesky search button at the top of your screen. This has to be one of those once a week threads right up there in popularity with "Campagnolo vs. Shimano, which one is really better."

2. Jokes aside, consider having a local wheelbuilder build you a set of wheels with the best set of hubs you can afford and a set of Mavic or Ambrosio rims. They will be better than just about any boutique wheelset and much, much more reliable.

6. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Of your choices, it depends on what you value: aero or reliability. The Zipp wheelset is the best aero set of the three, but Zipp hubs have had a colorful past. The Bontrager....well, suffice it to say their paired spoke idea is complete BS and a stupid design from an engineering point of view. The Tempest set wil have great hubs, but won't be as aero as the other two.

You have to say what you want most out of the wheelset.

7. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

I know that is not on his list, but I believe if I get another wheelset it will be a set of ROL's. I have a friend that purchased a set and they seem lighter and nicer than my custom built DT Swiss wheels for a lot less money. Plus he is a heavier guy and they have done well underneath him. :)

8. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

Out of those three, if you are racing, Zipps, anything else, Eastons, last of all, Bontrager (I'm with Alienator). You should probably consider Reynolds as well.

My current dream wheelset would involve WI H1 hubs and Lew rims though.

9. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Ah, you bring up a good point. Bone stock Reynolds Stratus DV's would be great racing wheels/training wheels/everyday wheels since their so sturdy. And they're tasty light, too. Or an even more tasty option would be to have a set of Reynolds rims built up with WI H1 hubs. Since you're near that ballpark, a serious consideration would be a set of LEW rims built with H1 hubs and CX-Rays or Aerolites. You'd end up with a set of wheels just north of 1000g and $2200 or so.

10. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

I agree with the Reynolds DV as I own a pair (DV46C). In a lot of ways they're better than any ZIPPs (having tried those too).

11. WIGGUM1

WIGGUM1 New Member

+1 for ROL wheels. I just picked up a set of the D'huez (1445 g). Sean the CEO and owner is a great guy who will do just about anything to make you happy. I am 200lbs and these seem very sturdy though I only have about 50 miles on them at the present.

12. rudycyclist

rudycyclist New Member

I am ordering a pair of the Tempest IIs today actually. I have heard the hubs are outstanding. As for the Reynolds DV Stratus wheels, our team owns 2 pairs of them and they are always breaking spokes. They are very light wheels and roll nicely but they seem to be unreliable. We are getting them re-spoked this winter because it is such an issue. Excellent rim and hub but our spokes keep breaking:mad:.

How are the Tempest IIs not the most aero wheel out of the 3? Don't they have a deeper rim than the 404s?