Wheelsets in the $400 range?

Gee3

Oct 23, 2005
I have a Specialized Allez Elite Double and I'm looking into a new wheelset. My LBS recommended the Bontrager Race Lites(?) at about $400/set. I liked the aero spokes. Anyone else have any recommendations?

I am certainly no racer so super lite is not a priority. I'm looking for durable good wheels I can ride with on 30-40 mile weekend training rides and for long rides like the MS150 (ms150.org) and Hotter N Hell 100 (HH100.org) on occassion.

I searched but didn't come up with what I was looking for.

Thanks for your input.

Gary

Gee3 said:
I have a Specialized Allez Elite Double and I'm looking into a new wheelset. My LBS recommended the Bontrager Race Lites(?) at about $400/set. I liked the aero spokes. Anyone else have any recommendations?

I am certainly no racer so super lite is not a priority. I'm looking for durable good wheels I can ride with on 30-40 mile weekend training rides and for long rides like the MS150 (ms150.org) and Hotter N Hell 100 (HH100.org) on occassion.

Thanks for your input.

Gary
Try Velomax or Easton wheelsets.

The Neuvation M28 Aero wheelset is excellent. They perform very well (I know because I measured them - www.bikephysics.com ), they are durable, and the service is unlike anything else in the cycling industry. The owner, John Neugent, is very helpful and will answer any questions you have.

John Swanson

Gee3 said:

Thanks for your input.

Gary

ScienceIsCool said:
The Neuvation M28 Aero wheelset is excellent. They perform very well (I know because I measured them - www.bikephysics.com ), they are durable, and the service is unlike anything else in the cycling industry. The owner, John Neugent, is very helpful and will answer any questions you have.

John Swanson
Did you have a look at the Neuvation R28 wheels? Are they suitable for a heavy rider (95kg)?

Thanks

I will be evaluating a set very soon. However, I'd suggest contacting Neuvation directly to ask them about the durability and suitability of the R28. My experience is that they will be very honest with you and will help you pick out the best wheelset.

John Swanson

thomas_cho said:
Did you have a look at the Neuvation R28 wheels? Are they suitable for a heavy rider (95kg)?

Thanks

Could also call up or visit:

www.oddsandendos.com

Very, very good service, and Mike will build you a custom wheelset to your specifications.

I will definitely buy again from him if I need another wheelset, for another bike of mine.

free_rideman said:
Could also call up or visit:

www.oddsandendos.com

Very, very good service, and Mike will build you a custom wheelset to your specifications.

I will definitely buy again from him if I need another wheelset, for another bike of mine.
Check eBAY for Speedcific as well, sometimes the Speedcific wheels that are made by Oddsandendos are sold there used.

I had Bontrager race lites on my Lemond and the rear had to be replaced after about 2K miles because a spoke pulled through. They also seemed to come out of true rather often. I weigh about 190.

I picked up a pair of mavic cosmos for trianing and have been really happy with them so far. A bit heavy for climbing and really racing, but they are strong and have been true. 300 bucks. For 400 you could try the campy zondas and the others mentioned.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions... my LBS has a test ride policy where they'll let me ride the wheels for 30 days and if I don't like them i can return them for something else... so I think I'll be testing out a few different ones. :)

Gary