Wheelsets question

red_cdale

Jan 10, 2005
What happened if you install different set of front and rear wheels in a bike? Is it affecting the performance?

Anyway, the question didn't mention different sizes. Within say 700 there is often a reason to choose different wheelsets... disk in the back? 2x or 3x lacing in the back vs. radial in the front? There are plenty of instances where f and r differ, and valid reasons sure. Rec c'dale, the specifics of the f/r would driect this towards a specific concern (if indeed you had one).

It's a good idea, since your front wheel faces the most wind then you could probably get away with a Mavic Cosmic Carbone on the front and a Mavic Open Pro on the rear.

Cyclist14 said:
It's a good idea, since your front wheel faces the most wind then you could probably get away with a Mavic Cosmic Carbone on the front and a Mavic Open Pro on the rear.
That carbone would probably be alot of fun in the front in a strong wind.

Cyclist14 said:

Or you can save a ton of money and just get a sit'n'spin like my 3-yr old.

boudreaux said:
That carbone would probably be alot of fun in the front in a strong wind.
Yep, I wouldn't consider an aero rim on the front either. Any drag advantage disappears when riding in crosswind conditions, and if there are any gusts at all, it can really get your attention.

A guy I ride with here has his bike set up for TT's. He's got a carbon spoke wheelset (Spinergy ?), but runs a conventional spoked wheel on front for club rides.