Wheelsets

dkrenik said:
Thanks Pete. I appreciate your insight. I guess I didn't consider ~420g to be light weight. I'm ~175-180 lbs and am running 28 hole rear; 24 for the front (I haven't considered that a low spoke count as well). My LBS mentioned that the Aerohead rims didn't seem to be quite as true out of the box as other rims they've had.

Might be time to try something more substantial?

I'm about the same weight as you 81kg (178lbs) and I run 28h front with DT aerolite radially laced to Open Pros (425gram) and 32H rear with DT competition (both sides) laced 3 cross to Open Pro's with Dura-Ace hubs front and back (7801 and 7850 respectively).

10,000+km later and haven't had to touch either with a spoke key and that includes plenty of gutter hopping, and racing on really bad roads.

dkrenik said:
Thanks Pete. I appreciate your insight. I guess I didn't consider ~420g to be light weight. I'm ~175-180 lbs and am running 28 hole (2x) rear; 24 (radial) for the front (I haven't considered that a low spoke count as well). My LBS mentioned that the Aerohead rims didn't seem to be quite as true out of the box as other rims they've had.

Might be time to try something more substantial?

Dave

180 pounds would mean to me at least a 32 in the rear, 3 cross, with 14/15 double butted spokes. 28, 2 cross front would work for you. Those thicker and more numerous spokes would mean very little in terms of weight, would cost way less than the X-rays and if built well, would be more reliable.

6fhscjess said:
I have found the Campagnolo Neutrons to be very strong and they are under a thousand.

Altho a fan of Campagnolo(I have a Campagnolo tattoo), I am an equal opportunity offender of wheels out o' boxes. Campagnolo(and shimano for that matter) at least start with a great hub BUT propriatary spokes/rims means that if you kill one and the manufacturer doesn't support them anymore you have an expensive pen holder(look up first gen DA, Campagnolo Proton, Nucleon, for example). Even wheels made today are hard to find spokes for(see who has Mavic R-Sys spokes).

So once again, rather than getting a wheeloutaabox that is over marketed and over priced, find a good wheelbuilder that can design a wheelset specifically for you and your needs, IMHO, of course.

Peter@vecchios said:
Altho a fan of Campagnolo(I have a Campagnolo tattoo), I am an equal opportunity offender of wheels out o' boxes. Campagnolo(and shimano for that matter) at least start with a great hub BUT propriatary spokes/rims means that if you kill one and the manufacturer doesn't support them anymore you have an expensive pen holder(look up first gen DA, Campagnolo Proton, Nucleon, for example). Even wheels made today are hard to find spokes for(see who has Mavic R-Sys spokes).

So once again, rather than getting a wheeloutaabox that is over marketed and over priced, find a good wheelbuilder that can design a wheelset specifically for you and your needs, IMHO, of course.

Peter, you are correct but he had mentioned strength and I have had many mavics such as the GL 330, GP 4, Open Pros also I have had Arc en Ciel rims and Araya rims and I found none of them to be as strong as the Neutrons that I have now.
Peter, Campagnolo does not repair or have replacements for these wheelsets?
I know that I had replacement spokes when I had a set of Nucleons.
Also I only paid $550.00 for my first pair of Neutrons and $650.00 for my second pair which although it is more than many custom built wheels it is not a whole lot more.

I think prebuilt wheels are the great cycling marketing swindle of the decade. Mavic essentially took advantage of the difficulty in finding a reputable wheelbuilder and turned it into a whole industry, AND made it a value-add proposition meaning people are now happy to pay more than the sum of the parts.

For USD650 you could get the finest parts such as Chris King or White Industries hubs laced with CX Rays to CXP33/Open Pro rims and have a great set of wheels you could use everyday. For under USD1000 you could go for more exotic hubs like Tunes.

The only prebuilt wheels I'd even consider are maybe some Rolfs because they pack real-world technology for your dollar, but otherwise I think you're paying a lot for not very much.

Not to mention you look like a complete Lemming if you're riding Ksyriums.

6fhscjess said:
Peter, you are correct but he had mentioned strength and I have had many mavics such as the GL 330, GP 4, Open Pros also I have had Arc en Ciel rims and Araya rims and I found none of them to be as strong as the Neutrons that I have now.
Peter, Campagnolo does not repair or have replacements for these wheelsets?
I know that I had replacement spokes when I had a set of Nucleons.
Also I only paid $550.00 for my first pair of Neutrons and $650.00 for my second pair which although it is more than many custom built wheels it is not a whole lot more.

GL330, GP4 are pretty light rims as rims go today. No surprise that OpenPros didn't hold up but a lot of this is due to the spoke number, gauge and build quality. Campagnolo does supply spokes and rims but generally are for more current wheels, are very expensive and sometimes tough to find, even for a bike shop.

The prices you mentioned are well below MSRP. MANY wheels out of boxes can be found for lots less than MSRP but for comparison, I will use MSRP because that's what we would sell them for(altho we really don't sell them, service them all the time tho). If some MO/ebay/internet place wants to gray market these and sell for way less than a survivable margin, that's up to him and good for you. Hopefully if you need a warranty they will help you out(split freehub body comes to mind).

My buddy just had his Aerohead OC/Ultegra hub rear wheel rebuilt after a spoke nipple pulled through the rim. The failure occurred after some 22K miles of trouble-free service, which IME is very good wheel life for a 200 lb rider.

Anyway, in checking out his new wheel at the shop, was not impressed with the replacement Aerohead rim. The rim seam was a bit rough, there are no eyelets, and there was also a slight "wave" in the machined breaking surface. The LBS offered to get him a new rim and rebuild the wheel again, but he decided to take it as is. At any rate, my overall impression was that the rim looked pretty ordinary.....about like the ones on my Easton Circuit wheels.

In fairness, the built wheels certainly held up well for him, and I suppose @ $59 USD retail they aren't expected to be the fanciest rim on the market.