Wheelsucker Evans

azdroptop said:
I love how Cadel fans think he's clean. LOL
i am not a fan. and dont think he is clean. But who do you mean?

Scottri thinks he is, but he thinks he is thinking. I know Scott ain't thinking a lick.

I wasn't writing about you specifically, but You're not a fan? Seems in many threads you have been pretty adamant about Evans being clean? Anyway, In just about any Evans thread there seem to be those who swear the guy is clean, much like LA's fans used to. I have nothing against Evans, and have no proof to offer that he is a doper, but the fact that he is near the top in pro racing seems to make it pretty obvious. As far as him being a wheel sucker it's just kind of funny how he's gotten that label.

thunder said:

Scottri thinks he is, but he thinks he is thinking. I know Scott ain't thinking a lick.

thunder said:

For someone who's not a fan you sure do defend the guy.

azdroptop said:
I wasn't writing about you specifically, but You're not a fan? Seems in many threads you have been pretty adamant about Evans being clean? Anyway, In just about any Evans thread there seem to be those who swear the guy is clean, much like LA's fans used to. I have nothing against Evans, and have no proof to offer that he is a doper, but the fact that he is near the top in pro racing seems to make it pretty obvious. As far as him being a wheel sucker it's just kind of funny how he's gotten that label.
Do you think he deserves that label?

azdroptop said:
I give an honest appraisal. Great rider he is, can tt, climb, and he has attacked in Liege and in Lombardy. No one really sees those effors. Heck, if you are ever going to attack, and have it recognised in THE most selective stages, it would be St Nicolas, Liege. He did that. 2005, check the tapes.

Better tter than the rest of the GC riders. All he needs is a super dope program, and he could climb with Contador and Rass.

Alas, I doubt he is clean, but he does not get the credit. Rode a full season last year, and never pulled the top win off the shelf, and folks only rank winners.

Schlecks are feted and fellated and those guys are two crack head dope fiends.

fscyclist said:
For someone who's not a fan you sure do defend the guy.
frank and honest.

I say he is a doper, but got some skills.

Levi on the other hand. Dope fiend extraordinaire, and mediocre talent.

thunder said:
I give an honest appraisal. Great rider he is, can tt, climb, and he has attacked in Liege and in Lombardy. No one really sees those effors. Heck, if you are ever going to attack, and have it recognised in THE most selective stages, it would be St Nicolas, Liege. He did that. 2005, check the tapes.

Better tter than the rest of the GC riders. All he needs is a super dope program, and he could climb with Contador and Rass.

Alas, I doubt he is clean, but he does not get the credit. Rode a full season last year, and never pulled the top win off the shelf, and folks only rank winners.

Schlecks and feted and fellated and those guys are two crack head dope fiends.
You sound like a fan.

fscyclist said:
You sound like a fan.
for fan FSC, go see the Astana forums and the ol'Paceline.

Anyone of them give frank and honest appraisals of Levi's blood transfusions. No.

You know last year Evans had a new Italian DS come one board. Bet he was getting some Bruyneel help too with that.

I dont like the Australian press, it is all, "Our guy is clean, Contador is a crackhead" jingoism last year. Evans was lying to the press saying the "tests were working, the UCI is doing a good job" then you hear of Lotto whinging about the Vino situation, and threatening to sue Astana for 3 million Euros. Load of ****.

Then you hear Rominger had Evans work with Ferrari. Sure it would have been Rominger, cos Evans coach since way back when has always been Aldo Sassi, of Mapei. Which gives him a nice cover when he speaks of having his coach "always".

He denied working with "controversial" doctors, but his manager was Ferrari's pupil, and they worked together, and Rominger got Vino to Ferrari. Suddeutsche Zeitung said Evans was with Ferrari, and Cyclingheroes confirmed it pre-Lotto, when he was at TMob, from 03-04.

Chances he worked with Ferrari even with Sassi his coach. Better than reasonable.

Any questions? I think I give both sides. Leipheimer on the other hand, never ever attacked cept last years US champs.

thunder said:
Leipheimer on the other hand, never ever attacked cept last years US champs.
Not never. There was that suicidal attack in the Tour in ... 2006, La Toussuire? before he was caught and dropped. And an attack in last year's Tour in Stage 16 (the last one that Rasmussen won).

People get so worked up about Evans or Leipheimer wheelsucking. Pointless. They attack when they've got the legs, when they're on the rivet, they don't ('cept for Leipheimer in 2006). Sure, it's not as much fun as watching Devolder, but they have GT podiums to show for it.

thunder said:
Suddeutsche Zeitung said Evans was with Ferrari, and Cyclingheroes confirmed it pre-Lotto, when he was at TMob, from 03-04.
I don't understand how he could have been working with Ferrari in 03-04 when it was well publicized that Lance had an exclusive agreement with Ferrari... Or was that just exclusive for TdF GC contenders?... :confused:

And I'm not a Cadel-is-Clean guy.

Drongo said:
Sure, it's not as much fun as watching Devolder, but they have GT podiums to show for it.
I agree. The best way to get to the top of the climb fastest is to stay on threshold. Drafting isn't nearly so important at 12mph. Attacking when you're not the strongest rider in the bunch is just pointless IMO. It's not like you are going to attack and the stronger climbers on the day are going to let you go and you drop them. Of course, if you're the strongest rider, you can attack.

If you are going for the GC and not the stage win, why stuff your legs for tomorrow's ride?

Attacking on a climb is good to watch as a spectator... but its about as useful to a rider getting to the top of a mountain faster as someone doing 200 meter sprints in the middle of a flat time trial IMHO.

Drongo said:
People get so worked up about Evans or Leipheimer wheelsucking. Pointless. They attack when they've got the legs, when they're on the rivet, they don't ('cept for Leipheimer in 2006). Sure, it's not as much fun as watching Devolder, but they have GT podiums to show for it.

Agreed. I think both Evans and Leipheimer are "doomed" to aboveaveragedom - they're always near the sharp end of climbing/tt's but neither will ever be the flambouyant "attack until you die" superstars that fans love. I'm convinced they'll both stand on various GC podiums again but will never win the hearts of the rather demanding cycling fans.

ps: wheel sucking is bad mkay? Take your turn, pay your school fees and earn your on the podium fair and square. Wheel sucking your team mates is fine - they're paid to provide a rolling wind screen - wheelsucking the opposition is going to earn you contempt in the bunch and by the cycling public.

Drongo said:
Not never. There was that suicidal attack in the Tour in ... 2006, La Toussuire? before he was caught and dropped. And an attack in last year's Tour in Stage 16 (the last one that Rasmussen won).

stage 16 was not a proper attack, he got 15 metres ahead of Rass, Contador and Evans.

2006 LL was out of contention, and should have aided Fothen.

Crankyfeet said:
I don't understand how he could have been working with Ferrari in 03-04 when it was well publicized that Lance had an exclusive agreement with Ferrari... Or was that just exclusive for TdF GC contenders?... :confused:

And I'm not a Cadel-is-Clean guy.
Ferrari has always worked with other guys. Just not Ullrich, Basso, Landis, Hamilton et al, when they were on opposing squads. Bet your life, if he came in and went podium first Tour, Armstrong would have chewed Ferrari out on their deal, got a discount, and made sure it was not to occur again :D

Crankyfeet said:
I agree. The best way to get to the top of the climb fastest is to stay on threshold. Drafting isn't nearly so important at 12mph. Attacking when you're not the strongest rider in the bunch is just pointless IMO. It's not like you are going to attack and the stronger climbers on the day are going to let you go and you drop them. Of course, if you're the strongest rider, you can attack.

If you are going for the GC and not the stage win, why stuff your legs for tomorrow's ride?

Attacking on a climb is good to watch as a spectator... but its about as useful to a rider getting to the top of a mountain faster as someone doing 200 meter sprints in the middle of a flat time trial IMHO.
psychological. That is the aid. Also is a rubber band if an attack goes, and hopefully, someone else moves to close it, your acceleration needs to be less intense, to jump on wheels. The neutraliser can give the attacker 50 metres, you can give the give who neutralises it another 10-20 metres, and not go in the red.

Crankyfeet said:

CF, if attacking in the mountains isn't good strategy, then name a Tour winner in the last 25 years that sucked wheels and won. Look at the first two places in the last Tour, Ras and Contador, the most aggresive riders, with the possible exception of Soler. The ONLY person in recent memory who won without much attacking was Indurain, but he was always in control of the race, and never sucked wheels. He was also subtle, and would attack without people realizing it. One thing Indurain NEVER did was suck wheel. The difference is Indurain was true class, while Evans belongs in a sport like synchronized swimming.

What makes someone a wheel sucker is never taking their turn on the front, and dorks like Evans are the ultimate tools because they suck wheel the whole race then sprint at the finish - clearly showing they still had plenty of energy to give. Face it, Evans is a tool. I hope he never wins a race.

Also, there's a lot of talk about podium finishes. Cycling is all or nothing. Either you win or you don't. I can name all the Tour winners for the last 25 years, but don't give a rat's ass about who finished second.

fark, 2006, first stage in the mtns, Landis does the most work, Evans the second. Menchov does little, Sastre virtually nil, and Levi sucked wheel. Levi had no reason to work though, because of his **** tt. Menchov won the sprint, and Evans ended up losing about 50 seconds.

2007, stage 7 abouts, the one Soler won. Evans was definitely present in the attacks. Valvpiti started it, Evans was present, and then Contador hit them with the crucial attack. Evans countered and rode across to him, then Contador dropped him, which in hindsight, probably cost them both, and they could have gone away with Popo who was already waiting.

So, Evans has attacked. In the 2005 Tour, his first, the bunch gave him room on about stage 15 to make a move, the won where Pereiro won the stage, after he lost the stage Hincapie sucked his wheel.

Evans is boring, a whiner, and not exciting. He has tho, attacked at Liege and Lombardy, two events where Landis and Leipheimer never have and never will.

He was the crucial protaginist in 2005 Liege.

He won Travers a Lausanne back in 2001. Time for folks to pony up on the credit dues.

Yes he dopes, yes he is not exciting, but he still is a fine rider.

fscyclist said:
CF, if attacking in the mountains isn't good strategy, then name a Tour winner in the last 25 years that sucked wheels and won. Look at the first two places in the last Tour, Ras and Contador, the most aggresive riders, with the possible exception of Soler. The ONLY person in recent memory who won without much attacking was Indurain, but he was always in control of the race, and never sucked wheels. He was also subtle, and would attack without people realizing it. One thing Indurain NEVER did was suck wheel. The difference is Indurain was true class, while Evans belongs in a sport like synchronized swimming.

What makes someone a wheel sucker is never taking their turn on the front, and dorks like Evans are the ultimate tools because they suck wheel the whole race then sprint at the finish - clearly showing they still had plenty of energy to give. Face it, Evans is a tool. I hope he never wins a race.

Also, there's a lot of talk about podium finishes. Cycling is all or nothing. Either you win or you don't. I can name all the Tour winners for the last 25 years, but don't give a rat's ass about who finished second.

thunder said:
fark, 2006, first stage in the mtns, Landis does the most work, Evans the second. Menchov does little, Sastre virtually nil, and Levi sucked wheel. Levi had no reason to work though, because of his **** tt. Menchov won the sprint, and Evans ended up losing about 50 seconds.

2007, stage 7 abouts, the one Soler won. Evans was definitely present in the attacks. Valvpiti started it, Evans was present, and then Contador hit them with the crucial attack. Evans countered and rode across to him, then Contador dropped him, which in hindsight, probably cost them both, and they could have gone away with Popo who was already waiting.

So, Evans has attacked. In the 2005 Tour, his first, the bunch gave him room on about stage 15 to make a move, the won where Pereiro won the stage, after he lost the stage Hincapie sucked his wheel.

Evans is boring, a whiner, and not exciting. He has tho, attacked at Liege and Lombardy, two events where Landis and Leipheimer never have and never will.

He was the crucial protaginist in 2005 Liege.

He won Travers a Lausanne back in 2001. Time for folks to pony up on the credit dues.

Yes he dopes, yes he is not exciting, but he still is a fine rider.
Look, just admit you're an Evans fan. It's okay. We'll help you through it.

BTW, why do you keep comparing him to Leipheimer? Do you think I like him or something?

Landis, despite his faults, was not a wheelsucker, and his breakaway ride was one of the ballsiest moves in recent Tour memory. He still looked like hell when he rode, as do all MTBers.