Wheelsucking

desben

Jun 23, 2003
Since I've started cycling, I've joined many pacelines and drafted behind countless solo riders. I'm always careful to make my presence known and if I'm unsure, I'll follow from 2-3ft to be safe. I gladly take my turn at the front when my time comes or when asked to do so.

I've met a lot of people this way. I catch up to them, draft for a while, and then pass them to take my turn at cutting the air. As we pass, we exchange greetings, introduce each other, etc. All very friendly.

Today however, I've had my first bad experience and I'm a bit puzzled. I was riding along and this 50-something chubby guy passes me on his shiny new Colnago with Dura Ace and pro-team jersey. Since he passed me slowly, I joined in his wheel. Seconds later we start climbing this 1.5km 4% hill. The guy stood up the whole time and was spinning with the chain on his big ring. "Pretty good for a guy his age", I thought.

Once at the top, he looks back, obviously seeing me. He rides for 5 more seconds then slams on the brakes, locking booth wheels. I almost rear-ended him but luckily was fast enough to avoid him. As I swing around him, he yelled "get off my wheel you ****ing wheelsucker". Holy cow! He was smoking hot so I just keep riding. A few minutes later I slowed down to let him catch up to me and explain that a little hand gesture would have been safer and more appropriate. His reply is "next time you wheelsuck me without an invitation I'm gonna f_ing hurt you". Wow. I then noticed a big tattoo on his arm. I didn't insist and rode away.

Is there a cycling etiquette rule I should be made aware of? What's this guy's problem and why was he so upset? :confused:

desben said:
Since I've started cycling, I've joined many pacelines and drafted behind countless solo riders. I'm always careful to make my presence known and if I'm unsure, I'll follow from 2-3ft to be safe. I gladly take my turn at the front when my time comes or when asked to do so.

I've met a lot of people this way. I catch up to them, draft for a while, and then pass them to take my turn at cutting the air. As we pass, we exchange greetings, introduce each other, etc. All very friendly.

Today however, I've had my first bad experience and I'm a bit puzzled. I was riding along and this 50-something chubby guy passes me on his shiny new Colnago with Dura Ace and pro-team jersey. Since he passed me slowly, I joined in his wheel. Seconds later we start climbing this 1.5km 4% hill. The guy stood up the whole time and was spinning with the chain on his big ring. "Pretty good for a guy his age", I thought.

Once at the top, he looks back, obviously seeing me. He rides for 5 more seconds then slams on the brakes, locking booth wheels. I almost rear-ended him but luckily was fast enough to avoid him. As I swing around him, he yelled "get off my wheel you ****ing wheelsucker". Holy cow! He was smoking hot so I just keep riding. A few minutes later I slowed down to let him catch up to me and explain that a little hand gesture would have been safer and more appropriate. His reply is "next time you wheelsuck me without an invitation I'm gonna f_ing hurt you". Wow. I then noticed a big tattoo on his arm. I didn't insist and rode away.

Is there a cycling etiquette rule I should be made aware of? What's this guy's problem and why was he so upset? :confused:

maybe it makes him nervous... but that kind of a rude response it is only him let it be in my opion

desben said:
His reply is "next time you wheelsuck me without an invitation I'm gonna f_ing hurt you". Wow. I then noticed a big tattoo on his arm. I didn't insist and rode away.

first off forget the tattoo :)
he may have felt you invated his personal space or could be something like this, some people are rude and they really dont mean to be it just the way they talk
heres a hint into what I see he said
"next time you wheelsuck me without an invitation I'm gonna f_ing hurt you"
example if he had said "you wheelsuck me again and I'm gonna f_ing hurt you" that would be different"
but he left an opening for some reason
next time you see him just say "hey sorry about the other day"
and see how it goes, you might be supprized

LoL, nah it wasn't you desben... he was just ****** that he couldn't drop you on the hill with his new wheels. ;) I thought the "auto-drop" feature came standard on all this years colnagos, guess not. He was most likely just having a bad day to boot... nice job keeping cool yourself. I personally would have had difficulty not spraying the guy to cool him and his trick ride off a little, heh. :)

Next time carry a can of pepper spray and soak his lousy ass. Make sure to get the foaming kind, so it sticks to his glasses, if he's wearing any.