When and what should you eat?

Bob42

Apr 16, 2006
I'm about to start racing, and am just wondering how to structure my eating to maximise performance. There are some races very early morning (6.30) and some evening (18.30-19.00). For each, what should you eat and when (pre-race)? Thanks.

Also, how should you eat to best recover from a ride?

Early morning races I usually eat an egg sandwich on rye toast when I wake up, a powerbar, or something similar roughly an hour before the event starts, and a gel 5-10 minutes before go time. It works for me.

Bob42 said:
I'm about to start racing, and am just wondering how to structure my eating to maximise performance. There are some races very early morning (6.30) and some evening (18.30-19.00). For each, what should you eat and when (pre-race)? Thanks.

Also, how should you eat to best recover from a ride?
I recommend Monique Ryan's book (Nutrition for Endurance Athletes). Lots of specific info on how much to eat the day before, morning of, and the time just before a race. Not just for endurance either, and also covers training.

In my case I have learned that I need to eat 150 grams of carbs minimum (e.g. for a criterium), to as much as 300 grams of carbs for a road race, on race morning (1-2 g/lb of bodyweight; I'm 150 lbs). After the race recharge with about half that amount so you don't faint and are ready for your next session. Avoid excess protein and fat; those are mostly for non-race days. Just the basic high-carb 70-10-15 ratio, roughly. Carbs are what you need, mostly low-glycemic index, but a little high-GI too. Pasta, cereal, fruits, yogurt.

In the past I didn't eat nearly as much because I never bonked, but I'm faster now that I eat following her recommendations.