When are brass fasteners acceptable?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Ant, Feb 27, 2003.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    I need to make a recessed nut for a brake caliper, and I was thinking about making a set of water
    bottle boss screws at teh same time. Are brass fasteners acceptable? The water bottle screws are
    just to fill the holes, so they dont have to do much, but I dont want my brake to snap off
    mid-emergency. The recessed nuts sold online are steel- brass is obviously weaker. However, spokes
    nipples are heavily loaded, so I was thinking there is no reason the threads wouldn't be able to
    hold the fairly moderate pre-load. i was thinking brass becuase it will speed up the machining
    process. (could i use aluminum, or is that too weak?)

    Thoughts?

    Also- if i wanted to make brass parts for a bike where generally Aluminum ones are used (just 'cause
    it would look cool), is there anything i should know? i'm assuming, with my minimal metal knowledge,
    that the only reason brass isnt used is because it is heavy, but not as strong as steel.

    For instance, could i make a brass hub? I'm not talking about dura-ace weight here, obviously.

    Thanks,

    anthony

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    I've seen alu. nuts holding brake calipers on before. Universal I think they were. These were
    non-recessed nuts. Also, don't kid yourself on the quality of the nuts on most brakes. I've stripped
    nuts on brake calipers using only a Y-wrench and one hand. They aren't steel, more like some crap
    pot metal alloy. Some are steel to be certain, but not all. Most recessed nuts are chromed something
    and I'm not sure they're steel either.

    Cheers,

    Scott..
    --