When can one call one's self a cyclist

poky

Nov 27, 2005
how many miles, or what events must one participate in before you can call yourself a cyclist.

poky said:
how many miles, or what events must one participate in before you can call yourself a cyclist.
The one single event which qualifies you is getting on and riding.

Some take a more elite attitude - all fine and well - but to me the very act of riding a bicycle makes one special, worthy of the term.

When you get a bike and start riding it. There are no other special criteria involved.

When you're in the regular habit of riding. The distance doesn't matter, the skill level doesn't matter, the speed doesn't matter. Just get out and ride.

when you think of cycling second only to sex, you may consider yourself a cyclist. it is a sickness that is bad for your checkbook but great for your health. for me, it was surpassing 2000 miles in a year. ride on.

To me becoming a cyclist is when you dream about upgrades during the night, when your bored you check your tires and adjust brakes and gears. And all you can think about is when you are next gonna get on your bike and ride, at least for me, but becoming a cyclsist is all about attitude, when you are on your bike and you feel wind rushing past your head on a descent going so fast your eyes water, and you love it, thats when you've become a cyclist. It differs from person to person.

poky said:
That is a good question! I think that if you are on a bicycle then you are a
cyclist! but for the sake of discussion, is someone that rides an x-mart type of
bike (even though they ride it regularly) a cyclist. I would suspect that some
would not say that you are a cyclist until you have a "respectable" bike purchased from an LBS AND rode it regularly.

fishrider314 said:
when you think of cycling second only to sex, you may consider yourself a cyclist. it is a sickness that is bad for your checkbook but great for your health. for me, it was surpassing 2000 miles in a year. ride on.
What if you think about cycling above sex???
confused.gif
......Man I've got to get out more
redface.gif
............who wants to go to a RIDE
biggrin.gif

You have to ride on average at least once a week in order to call yourself a cyclist. Less than that and you are just a bicycle owner.

You are a cyclist after you ridden in an organized ride such as a century. If you ride three times a week, if you check out every bicycle you see, then the meat puppet riding it. If you prefer cytomax to Corvosier or Red Stripe. You eat like a cheerleader or ballerina. When you're an assos butter junkie. When driving up a hill you reget that you are not on your bike...

poky said:

cyclist or Cyclist ?

My own mental threshold was generating an average daily energy requirement in the region of 3500 kcals/day, for some reason.

A cyclist? Somebody who is riding his bike, before riding reading about riding, after riding taking pictures of other people who are riding than write a story about other people riding than riding himself again, after that watching a video of other people riding and when he watched that... he tells his girlfriend sorry i have to sleep now because tomorrow i have to ride my bike.

I did not consider myself a cyclist until I'd been hit by a car. Now I fight for the road, ride as much as possible, and have toned, hairy legs...

Bro Deal said:
You are a cyclist if you think your legs look weird when you DON'T shave them.
you are only a true cyclist if you have a cycling liscense and have had a crash in a race