When can one call one's self a cyclist

cycle chik said:
you are only a true cyclist if you have a cycling liscense and have had a crash in a race
You are a true cyclist if you don't have enough fingers to count your bike crash scars.

Bro Deal said:
You are a true cyclist if you don't have enough fingers to count your bike crash scars.
I think anyone who sits up to all hours of the morning watching one of the tours and then gets up a few hours later still excited about last nights race and goes for a ride is a cyclist.

up until 6 months ago when I got my new Audi, I woulda totaly agreed with that....it's amazing how school finally pays off

When you have these two choices on the same day. Front row seats to a Green Bay Packers game on Setember 17th (at Lambeau Field) or a Century ride.......and you deciede to do the Century ride!!

Yup.....I've got two wheeled fever.

You can consider yourself a cyclist when you ride your bike for no reason other than to ride your bike....

It does not matter if you ride once a week or 14 times a week.... it doesnt matter if your bike cost $150 or $1500.... doesnt even matter if you ride around the block or around the city....

If you ride just to ride you are a cyclist.

I considered myself a cyclist when I started getting a cyclist tan. It takes regular riding to achieve the unique tan only cyclists get.

Having a bike and riding it on a reguar bases would IMO make one a cyclist. For me here lately it was when the bike is now stored in my living room. It has multiplied and I seem to spend any extra money buying cycling related stuff.

i like to take the "because i can" mentality to cycling...

i.e. "i rode out to <insert far away destination here> yesterday" "thats so far away! why did you do that???" "because i can"

its true, if you get out on your bike and ride just for the hell of it, with no reason other than you enjoy being out on your bike, then you are a cyclist.

i call myself a cyclist since this incident.....

my friends called me at 11 pm drunk off of their asses on wednesday night asked me to go out to get wasted. but i told them that i had to go on a long ride next morning.

ahhhh yeah.. it sux sometimes. :eek:

you might be a cyclist if:

(my apologies to Jeff Foxworthy)

you've had sew-up glue in your hair....

you know what a cone wrench is...

you've been run over by a team mate...

(the oreo sun tan has already been mentioned)

you can take a drink at 28mph in a pack of 30 other bikes- and not even look down at the cage

your wife has more hair on her legs than you do.

its your rest day and you STILL wake up 5 minutes before the alarm usually set for your morning ride

you look at this years new crazy light and expensive techno equipment and you realize you dont need it...

your bibs cost more than your sunday suit

you can lace and true your own wheels

you wax poetic when describing your steel lugged frame of old

you drink beer because its a good source of carbs

your kids are late to school because your morning ride went too long

you think there's something manly about the old hair net helmets of yesteryear

your friends know you by helmet color and frame manufacturer

you can tell how strong someone is, their astrological sign, income level, and how fast they can sprint-- all from looking at their ass, saddle, gear cluster, and rear brake.

you ride to your morning ride.

anybody care to add? this is certainly not all, but i'll stop here, at the risk of over doing it.

enjoy

I've never been in a race, nor do I have any interest in watching other people do so. Reading some of those replies it would seem that this means that I'm not a cyclist. This came as a bit of a surprise, what with me going for a ride (or rides) almost every day.

anth said:
I've never been in a race, nor do I have any interest in watching other people do so. Reading some of those replies it would seem that this means that I'm not a cyclist. This came as a bit of a surprise, what with me going for a ride (or rides) almost every day.
Some of the replies, but not all of them. Everyone's entitled to hold an opinion, no matter how wrong it might be, eh? [just joking around a little]

I really only wanted to reply that if you haven't done so, you might enjoy seeing a race sometime. I don't race, myself, except for time trials on occasion. My wife doesn't even ride a bicycle. She doesn't care for it. We both really enjoy spectating though. The speeds are impressive. The sights and sounds are exhilarating. It's exciting and fun - for cyclists and non-cyclists alike.

anth said:
You must have not read all of the posts.... you say you ride everyday and sometimes more than once a day... according to a lot of people that posted to this thread, including myslef, you are a cyclist.

anth said:

what's frightening is, that you actually are using this thread to determine IF you are a cyclist.

relax.... ok?

here goes- YOU ARE A CYCLIST!

does that help you feel better?

schmuzzy said:
what's frightening is, that you actually are using this thread to determine IF you are a cyclist.

relax.... ok?

Maybe a satisfactory resolution requires unanimity?

schmuzzy said:

relax.... ok?

It is amazing, the power that the internet has over people.