When Cycling Lane Ends

jakemerrill

Jun 13, 2013
I commute in an area with a few cycling lanes that seem to start and end at bad times. I generally would like to know what others do when the cycling lane ends, particularly in heavy traffic.
Now for the specific example I would like advice on. The cycling lane ends at an intersection (w/ traffic light) before a bridge (the lane does not continue on the other side). Is it acceptable to go to the front of cycling lane? I ask because it is somewhat similar to riding to the front of the line when there is no cycling lane, which I try to avoid. Secondly, the right hand side of the lane (4 lane road) is very rough so is it acceptable/advisable to just take up the whole lane for my safety? Thanks for your help.

Local jurisdictions and special conditions apply. That said, bicycle lanes are provided for the specific purpose of safely coordinating cycling traffic with motor vehicle traffic. Using the full length of the marked bike lane all the way to the intersection, then merging into traffic is certainly appropriate.

It isn't clear (to me) from your description exactly where the rough road is. If you're asking about using the full normal traffic lane because the bike lane is impassible, then that is appropriate. If you're asking about using the full normal traffic lane because you don't want to "cut in front" of motorists while using a passible bike lane, then that wouldn't be appropriate in most circumstances.

Riding to the front of traffic at an intersection is situation dependent. Sometimes you create more of an impediment to traffic by commanding the full lane and waiting your turn. In a long line where conditions allow motorists to accelerate quickly through the intersection, you may impede many motorists behind you from "making the light", which certainly won't make you any friends. In the absence of a bike lane, technically you should take the lane and do exactly that. However, depending on the situation, I may work my way to the front of traffic if I can do so safely. At the intersection, I decide if proceeding immediately with traffic is safe, or if waiting until yellow and pacing with or following the last vehicle is most appropriate. Also note that the yellow/red time in an intersection can be extremely dangerous if motorists typically speed thorough to "make the lights", so that has to be factored in if it applies. In complex, high-traffic situations, if the intersection is wide enough for me and vehicles to share the lane (typically the case), then I move forward and take that opportunity. "Green time" is more predictable in an intersection.

Not knowing the specific conditions of your scenario, my general approach would be to ride to the end of the bike lane and cross the intersection with traffic. If the bridge is wide enough to share a lane, then continue on. If not, wait on the far side of the intersection and take a lane behind the last vehicle to pass through the intersection. My goal would be to move consistent with the flow of traffic around me.

I assume the bridge is short. I would cross the intersection on the green light and follow the last vehicle over the bridge. No sense in holding up traffic any more than need be.

I would take up the entire lane.

Question: can you outrun traffic? If yes, you can participate in traffic. If no (usually a fast speed limit), you're better off staying away.