When cyclists squat...

Carrera said:
No this is a different hill and I recently bought a camera so I can take pics so you guys can tell me your impressions of it. I'll take snaps from the summit and at the bottom going up.
Sure, this is the hardest thing I've ever done and that includes squats. I have to spend half an hour gearing my mind up before I attack it.
First there's a virtual wall in front of you that stretches out of sight. Once you get past that hurdle there's a corner. Even on the corner there's no opportunity to sit down. There's also a risk of hyperventilation once you get round the corner section and get into the 28% stretch. This was the part that destroyed me the first time I attempted it and I also heard an entire peleton broke up on that hill one morning with only one guy making it all the way.
Last time I made it all the way but had this experience where I couldn't seem to get sufficient air into my body at the top. It was like my nose and mouth weren't big enough to supply the demand. These days, of course, I use common sense and if I feel I should stop to control my breathing, I'll pull up and recover.
Last time I rolled back down and saw a tanker in trouble. It was in first gear and nearly couldn't get up there. That made me feel better.
WHERE YOU SAY YOU USE COMMON SENCE AND GET OFF AND PUSH IT, I THOUGHT LIKE THAT EARLIER, ONLY PROBLEM IS, DO YOU NEVER THINK THAT PEOPPLE WHO ARE PASSING BY MAY BE THINKING, LOOK AT HIM HIS CYCLING SHORTS, HIS FANCY BIKE.. AND HE'S PUSHING IT, WHAT A WIMP!

I'D EVEN RESORT TO CARRYING MINE WITH A PUNCTURE JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR THAT I'M NOT RIDING IT BECAUSE ITS DAMAGED.

==>> OTHER THAN THAT I DON'T THINK I HAVE ANYWHERE BIGENOUGH TOCARRY A SIGN TO POINT AT ME AND BIKE SAYING I'M NOT A WUSS ITS BROKEN. A LOT OF THE TIME ITS PASSERS BY THAT HELP ME FIND THAT LITTLE MORE DETERMINATION WHEN I'M STRUGGLING THE MOST.

Wait and see till I post a pic of the hill and I think you'll get some idea of why it might be a good idea to break the climb up. This baby is feared amongst the cycling community in my area and last time I mentioned it to a cycling veteran he turned white as a sheet.

closesupport said:
WHERE YOU SAY YOU USE COMMON SENCE AND GET OFF AND PUSH IT, I THOUGHT LIKE THAT EARLIER, ONLY PROBLEM IS, DO YOU NEVER THINK THAT PEOPPLE WHO ARE PASSING BY MAY BE THINKING, LOOK AT HIM HIS CYCLING SHORTS, HIS FANCY BIKE.. AND HE'S PUSHING IT, WHAT A WIMP!

I'D EVEN RESORT TO CARRYING MINE WITH A PUNCTURE JUST TO MAKE IT CLEAR THAT I'M NOT RIDING IT BECAUSE ITS DAMAGED.

==>> OTHER THAN THAT I DON'T THINK I HAVE ANYWHERE BIGENOUGH TOCARRY A SIGN TO POINT AT ME AND BIKE SAYING I'M NOT A WUSS ITS BROKEN. A LOT OF THE TIME ITS PASSERS BY THAT HELP ME FIND THAT LITTLE MORE DETERMINATION WHEN I'M STRUGGLING THE MOST.

Anyway back to the original post! this is my old leg training routine this used to be completed monday, wednesday, friday. riding the day after is a doddle so i don't know how anyone can say that weight training isn't beneficial.

Steps to <(75 degrees)> with 65%max lift to Max > dropping in Reps
Sets: 20,18,16,14,12,10,8,4,2,1 you should be really struggling with the 1 to step if not you need more.

The Steps usually warm up my quads nicely,

Front Squats <(90Degrees)> dropping in reps 14,12,10,8,6,4,2,1
Squats > dropping in reps as above
Leg Extensions > As above ^
Single Leg Extensions > As above ^
Leg Curl (Hamstrings) > Again as above
Calf Raises<(seated or standing)> dropping in reps 14,12,10,8,6,4,2,1
Leg Press > dropping in reps 14,12,10,8,6,4,2,1 65% max to max

Nice to have a sit or lie down on the leg press after the above.

Anyway back to the original post! this is my old leg training routine this used to be completed monday, wednesday, friday. riding the day after is a doddle so i don't know how anyone can say that weight training isn't beneficial.

Steps to <(75 degrees)> with 65%max lift to Max alternating legs you step up with 20left 20right and so on> dropping in Sets
Sets: 20,18,16,14,12,10,8,4,2,1 you should be really struggling with the 1 to step if not you need more.

Nice to have a sit or lie down on the leg press after the above

I only squat roughly once a week these days. This is just to maintain my strength in the leg bicep area and lower back. But my legs have developed almost freakish levels of development via cycling which is why I curtailed my squatting. I also squat light and don't do heavy reps any more.
I don't know why my thigh muscles have suddenly grown so much of late, especially in view of the fact I cycle consecutive days. In theory the muscles ought to shrink but they're growing instead.
I'm a bit puzzled as to why you do so much leg work in the gym, not that I'm criticizing. It's just I feel I get so much leg work out of the bike that I could probably get away with just doing leg-curls and my legs would be fine. I'd rather do more back work such as rowing or power cleans that are terrific for conditioning.

closesupport said:

Steps to <(75 degrees)> with 65%max lift to Max alternating legs you step up with 20left 20right and so on> dropping in Sets

Nice to have a sit or lie down on the leg press after the above

you say that your legs have grown freakishly.

now thats where we differ, mine don't seem to grow. they differ not in size but as for power they have almost doubled. although this year i have spent quite alot of time spinning the smaller gears, its more of if i don't train them they feel weak, and in my opinion they look thin, although my partner tells me different.

now i wish i could grow them in size so i could wear a pair of shorts proudly. my partner says i obsess over them, far to much, maybe if i had someone to spot for me then i could push my fail limit a little further then i could grow them easier and faster.

As a personal trainer and former powerlifter/body builder:D , I would never recommend going past 90 degree angle! There's no need to go any lower then that.

Carrera said:
I only squat roughly once a week these days. This is just to maintain my strength in the leg bicep area and lower back. But my legs have developed almost freakish levels of development via cycling which is why I curtailed my squatting. I also squat light and don't do heavy reps any more.
I don't know why my thigh muscles have suddenly grown so much of late, especially in view of the fact I cycle consecutive days. In theory the muscles ought to shrink but they're growing instead.
I'm a bit puzzled as to why you do so much leg work in the gym, not that I'm criticizing. It's just I feel I get so much leg work out of the bike that I could probably get away with just doing leg-curls and my legs would be fine. I'd rather do more back work such as rowing or power cleans that are terrific for conditioning.

Leg bicep?

well if your a fitness trainer, maye you can offer me some advice.

whats the quickest way to recovery after a training session, i live a very very busy active life. i can't really fit in 8hrs of sleep, unless its a day that i ain't working.

if anything i would like to not only grow in strength but grow in size. i beleive i have an over active thyroid, this prevents me from putting weight on, although the doctor seems to think that i'm am the perfect weight for my height and i just burn off everything that i eat.

now i can't eat anymore than i do, i have tryed. as for the thermic effect of food and stuff believe me i've tryed but each time i stand on the scales, my weight is always the same. 11.50 stone 11.75 stone and i just fluctuate between thee 2 weights.... i want to be 12.50 12.75 and carry my bulk on my legs not gut, but it never seems to work that way for me.

i was hoping that as of next week i could start track riding, but i feel silly in shorts, i feel my legs are thin although i am told otherwise. Hmmm! there just trying to make me feel better about myself. i know that if my legs where the way that i want them, then i would feel a little more confident about wearing shorts and not feel quite so silly on the track.

any advice?

closesupport said:
well if your a fitness trainer, maye you can offer me some advice.

whats the quickest way to recovery after a training session, i live a very very busy active life. i can't really fit in 8hrs of sleep, unless its a day that i ain't working.

if anything i would like to not only grow in strength but grow in size. i beleive i have an over active thyroid, this prevents me from putting weight on, although the doctor seems to think that i'm am the perfect weight for my height and i just burn off everything that i eat.

now i can't eat anymore than i do, i have tryed. as for the thermic effect of food and stuff believe me i've tryed but each time i stand on the scales, my weight is always the same. 11.50 stone 11.75 stone and i just fluctuate between thee 2 weights.... i want to be 12.50 12.75 and carry my bulk on my legs not gut, but it never seems to work that way for me.

i was hoping that as of next week i could start track riding, but i feel silly in shorts, i feel my legs are thin although i am told otherwise. Hmmm! there just trying to make me feel better about myself. i know that if my legs where the way that i want them, then i would feel a little more confident about wearing shorts and not feel quite so silly on the track.

any advice?

-What do your thighs measure now?
-Get as much sleep as you can, this is when your body releases GH....8 hours is ideal.
-For size gains, you'll need to do some decent gym work, ( http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html) combined with about 2 grams of protein per 100 pounds of bodyweight a day. Don't concentrate all your gym work on just legs though....
-Have you had a thyroid test?
-What events are you hoping to specailze in on the track?

It sounds like your not doing any weight training currently. I would suggest for legs doing squats, they are a great quad, hamstring and glute exercise. If you can use a flexibibilty ball, use it doing ball squats against a wall. Leg curls for the hamstrings, also leg extensions for the quads, and calf raises for the calfs. Also work on developing your core muscles(abdominals). Lunges are another great leg workout. Make sure when doing them, both legs are at a 90 degree angle!!!

As far as recovery after a training session, I assume you mean weight lifting, the key word is REST! That's the only thing I know of to recovery.

As far as putting muscle on, most all of this is going to come from your diet. Depending on how much you weigh, you generally want 1.0-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight in your diet in order to gain lean muscle mass. Make sure your getting alot of protein in your diet and don't neglect getting enough complex carbs either!

I hope this helps and good luck!;)

ed073 said:
-What do your thighs measure now?
-Get as much sleep as you can, this is when your body releases GH....8 hours is ideal.
-For size gains, you'll need to do some decent gym work, ( http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html) combined with about 2 grams of protein per 100 pounds of bodyweight a day. Don't concentrate all your gym work on just legs though....
-Have you had a thyroid test?
-What events are you hoping to specailze in on the track?
the tops of my thighs measure 25" and my calves 16/17" i have never had my thyroid tested, since the doctor feels i just burn off the calories i consume, says it is good that i manage to stay my perfect weight for my height, i have no excess body fat? what about me... what i want, :confused: .

i hope to do shorter sprints, so i think maye a lot more leg strength would be beneficial, since my legs look nothing like those you see sprinting.

i really enjoy going fast. just never done it on a track, although i have shocked myself by exceeding 45mph and would like to go faster, i have been told its easier to do it on a track than on the roads outside, elements and wind resistance....etc

i'll give the extra protein thing a try see if that helps.

kind regards

45mph is absolutely flying. If you can replicate that on the track, you'll be a gun.
Sprinting is as much about what you do in the gym, on the track and in the kitchen. Remember the guys you see on TV etc have been doing this a long time and are the world's best, so you can't really compare. ****....if I could have Florian Rousseau legs I'd be rapt.

good luck....track racing is great fun.

gotendurance said:
It sounds like your not doing any weight training currently. I would suggest for legs doing squats, they are a great quad, hamstring and glute exercise. If you can use a flexibibilty ball, use it doing ball squats against a wall. Leg curls for the hamstrings, also leg extensions for the quads, and calf raises for the calfs. Also work on developing your core muscles(abdominals). Lunges are another great leg workout. Make sure when doing them, both legs are at a 90 degree angle!!!

As far as recovery after a training session, I assume you mean weight lifting, the key word is REST! That's the only thing I know of to recovery.

As far as putting muscle on, most all of this is going to come from your diet. Depending on how much you weigh, you generally want 1.0-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight in your diet in order to gain lean muscle mass. Make sure your getting alot of protein in your diet and don't neglect getting enough complex carbs either!

I hope this helps and good luck!;)
legs and abs, when i was refferring to training session, i mean't circuit training, weight lifting, running and cycling,,, Ohhh not to forget my job i class that as a training session, mainly for my upper body, not that i'm bothered about any strength there, i'd like to keep that size and weight down, i mainly concentrate on lower body. legs, abs, lowerback.

although i do do quite alot for my lower half i can't do lungies, when i try i get a sharp pain in my left buttock area that shoots down to my calf causing a great deal of pain, i only experience this when i do lungies. Trapped nerve maybe i don't know. my doctor don't care :( if i commonsence tells me one thing its if it hurts and causes pain.....DONT DO IT

The human body can only do so much!
"then the heart and soul must take over"

i just wanted to say that i picked up a used set of free weights today. 300lbs total, plus 4 different bars. all for $75. it was exactly what i was looking for, i am happy.
it would have cost me 4 times as much if i bought them online.

closesupport said:
legs and abs, when i was refferring to training session, i mean't circuit training, weight lifting, running and cycling,,, Ohhh not to forget my job i class that as a training session, mainly for my upper body, not that i'm bothered about any strength there, i'd like to keep that size and weight down, i mainly concentrate on lower body. legs, abs, lowerback.

although i do do quite alot for my lower half i can't do lungies, when i try i get a sharp pain in my left buttock area that shoots down to my calf causing a great deal of pain, i only experience this when i do lungies. Trapped nerve maybe i don't know. my doctor don't care :( if i commonsence tells me one thing its if it hurts and causes pain.....DONT DO IT

The human body can only do so much!
"then the heart and soul must take over"
I used to weight train everyday well except sundays, i havent however for some years now, but when i was doing it i was doing track running, and i was told to refrain from doing heavier sets of weights 170 max, although on occassins we would train to fail, 3 fails your out. you know the kind of games i mean, im sure.

400\800m but your right i don't any longer.

gotendurance said:
As a personal trainer and former powerlifter/body builder:D , I would never recommend going past 90 degree angle! There's no need to go any lower then that.
Why not? shouldn't a muscle be trained in its full range of motion? Doing a squat to only a 90 degree angle would be like doing only a half rep on bench press. Most of the top strength coach/trainers like, Charles poliquin and Ian King reccomend doing full squats most of the time.

Though most guys prefer going to just a 90 degree angle because this is much easier and it allows them to use more weight which boosts their egos.

BiochemGuy said:
Why not? shouldn't a muscle be trained in its full range of motion? Doing a squat to only a 90 degree angle would be like doing only a half rep on bench press. Most of the top strength coach/trainers like, Charles poliquin and Ian King reccomend doing full squats most of the time.

Though most guys prefer going to just a 90 degree angle because this is much easier and it allows them to use more weight which boosts their egos.

Ass to grass baby!!!

BiochemGuy said:

its not about boosting egos its about what is necessary and unescessary, nothing beyond 90 degrees is necessary, well unless you tire you sit to the front of your seat and push with your quads, other than that the muscles that are exercised are exercised durely.

although you could do full squats, put unescessary pressure on knees, tendons and ligements, other than that you could strap up your knees invest in a nice fitting squat suit, alow that to offer some support to muscle groups and 20% of the work load and risk blowing your intestines out your **** or forcing your decending colon through the walls of your lower abdominals, if thats not enough to worry about, theres also the thought of having to much weight on and not having correct posture or alignement on a full squat and slipping a disk.

the above taken in consideration then i know which i prefare to do. if 90% and your intestines and the above safe then i'm gonna continue to choose 90% over full **** popping squats, plus steps with large weights.

if you haven't tryed them get abox that permits you to step to 90 degrees with weights like squats and work legs independent of each other.