When did Campy switch to hex nuts on NR/SR brakes?

* * Chas

Guest
When did Campy switch to recessed hex nuts for mounting NR/SR brake
calipers?

Also, I've read that the standard center bolt from a rear NR/SR caliper
works with a recessed hex nut on the front caliper, true?

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> When did Campy switch to recessed hex nuts for mounting NR/SR brake
> calipers?
>
> Also, I've read that the standard center bolt from a rear NR/SR caliper
> works with a recessed hex nut on the front caliper, true?

around 1977 give or take a year

There are three bolts; long for nut front, medium for nut rear or allen
front, short for allen rear

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> * * Chas wrote:
> > When did Campy switch to recessed hex nuts for mounting NR/SR brake
> > calipers?
> >
> > Also, I've read that the standard center bolt from a rear NR/SR

caliper
> > works with a recessed hex nut on the front caliper, true?

> around 1977 give or take a year
>
> There are three bolts; long for nut front, medium for nut rear or allen
> front, short for allen rear
>
> --
> Andrew Muzi

Thanks for the info. I picked an early '70s frame that's been modified for
recessed brake bolt nuts and my brakes have standard nuts.

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I picked an early '70s frame that's been modified for
> recessed brake bolt nuts and my brakes have standard nuts.

So, you need to acquire one short center bolt and two allen sleeves

--

A Muzi <[email protected]> writes:

>* * Chas wrote:
>> Thanks for the info. I picked an early '70s frame that's been modified for
>> recessed brake bolt nuts and my brakes have standard nuts.

>So, you need to acquire one short center bolt and two allen sleeves

Isn't it also possible to acquire aluminum sleeves that inset into the
drilled-out holes, or to use washers, to effectively "undo" the effect
of having drilled the frame for recessed bolts ??

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

"Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >* * Chas wrote:
> >> Thanks for the info. I picked an early '70s frame that's been

modified for
> >> recessed brake bolt nuts and my brakes have standard nuts.

> >So, you need to acquire one short center bolt and two allen sleeves

> Isn't it also possible to acquire aluminum sleeves that inset into the
> drilled-out holes, or to use washers, to effectively "undo" the effect
> of having drilled the frame for recessed bolts ??
>
> - Don Gillies
> San Diego, CA

I'm going to have to make some bushings to use with either type of nut.

Whoever drilled out the holes used an 11/32" (8.75mm) drill bit with no
counterbores plus the holes are not straight. If the holes were anywhere
near accurate I could get some drill bushings that would fit nicely and
make a clean job. I'll probably make some bushings out of stainless
steel.

Chas.