When Did You Learn How To Ride A Bike?

BeachyKeen

Mar 9, 2015
I was 4 I believe when my parents started teaching me. I had an older brother who could already ride a bike by then, which he loved to show off to me of course. But I got the hang of it and soon enough I was chasing him around as well.
So how old were you when you first learned how to ride a bike? And did you learn by yourself or were you taught by someone?

Reactions: haleylx4
I was 7 when I got my first bike. I rode for a year or so, then had a spill that scared the daylights out of me, even though I only a bit scratched up. I stopped riding till I was 21 and got an evening job. I had to start riding again so I could get home safely after dark. As an adult it doesn't scare me anymore. A lot of the fear as a kid had to due with not being in control of the situation, as I had to keep up with my dad, who was always pushing me to go faster than I wanted to go, which was why I fell. As an adult I can slow down whenever I feel the need to.

DancingLady said:
I was 7 when I got my first bike. I rode for a year or so, then had a spill that scared the daylights out of me, even though I only a bit scratched up. I stopped riding till I was 21 and got an evening job. I had to start riding again so I could get home safely after dark. As an adult it doesn't scare me anymore. A lot of the fear as a kid had to due with not being in control of the situation, as I had to keep up with my dad, who was always pushing me to go faster than I wanted to go, which was why I fell. As an adult I can slow down whenever I feel the need to.
Would you say you're more scared of falling off now than you were when you were younger, or less scared? I was pretty fearless as a kid, which I kind of carried over with me when I first started commuting by bike in the city a couple of years ago. Nowadays I'm much more cautious and careful, and I wince looking back on how dangerously I used to cycle :/

I was 5 years old when I got my first bike. It was a hand me down from an older cousin, and I loved it from the first moment I saw it. :) It just "fitted" me perfectly. I adored its red frame, white saddle and pedals. Actually, it was hard for my parents to separate me from my bike, and I was devastated when I found out that I wasn't allowed to take it to kindergarten with me. It didn't take long at all before my support wheels came off. I can still feel that incredible sensation of freedom that I experienced the first time I rode my fiery machine down the road on only two wheels...

Wow hard question and I probably can't answer it corectly. I think I was about 4-5 years old when my grandpa teached me how to ride a bicycle. I used those 2 extra wheels on the sides, but when he datached them I started riding like a real pro. Huh good old days, that nostalgia.. From then on I knew that biking will be one of my favorite things to do.

Kiprasn said:
Wow hard question and I probably can't answer it corectly. I think I was about 4-5 years old when my grandpa teached me how to ride a bicycle. I used those 2 extra wheels on the sides, but when he datached them I started riding like a real pro. Huh good old days, that nostalgia.. From then on I knew that biking will be one of my favorite things to do.

We call those 2 little extra wheels "stabilizers" where I'm from, although they tend to do anything but! I found the whole thing much easier once I was old enough to ride without them :)

It's interesting that you asked this question because it made me think of something I barely even considered. No one taught me to ride a bike. I also didn't start with training wheels. I just say older kids in the neighbourhood riding them & figured I should be riding them as well. I have no idea what age that was either. Strange.

My Step Dad was teaching me how to ride a bike, and I was about 4 or 5 years at that time. :p

This is really embaressing, but I learnt when I was 12. I got a bike much sooner but i was to scared without the training wheels. Now I love nothing more. Its so exhilarting.

I have been riding a bike for as long as I can remember to be honest, so I can't really put an exact age to it, but I guess I was around 3 or 4? I know my brother had been born.

Probably when I was 4 or 5, so around 1979 or 1980. Cycling was in my blood from birth as my dad was a cyclist his whole life. I think I only had training wheels for about a year or maybe less before I was ready to take them off because I wanted to be like my older brother and sister.

I was 5. My parents bought my older brother a bike and I inherited his old beat up bike that he inherited from our older sister. I rode it for 15 minutes and then asked if dad could take off the 3rd and 4th wheels (training wheels). My mom took me out onto the street and pushed me down and about as soon as she let go I fell over.

I picked the bike up and told her not to push - "I won't fall if you don't push". She didn't and I didn't. Been riding ever since.

My wife learned when she was 38 (last year)

My dad would take me to these trails in the everglades when i was 5-6 . They had a canal on each side that were full of giant alligators.Reflecting on that now makes me think he was trying to get rid of me.

I started when I was about 4 years old. On two wheels that is. I've recently taken up something a little different, though.

Attachments

• 2015-03-26-11-08-48-1470617250.jpeg
    2015-03-26-11-08-48-1470617250.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: Barhopper
I was 5 years old, we were living in Kansas (Topeka), but I think we must have been getting ready to move back to Florida because I remember learning to ride it in Florida.I thought it was the best bike around. I do remember that it was a good little bike. I must have been in the 5th or 6th grade before it was replaced with a Western Auto 3 speed (Sturmey Archer gear) To tell you the truth, I think those Sturmey Archer hubs are great, wonder how good the 8 speed hubs are? Anyone know?

i learned in the circus. there was a whip involved and i mostly rode in circles. it took years for the fur hair to start growing on my back again.

Tony Lombardi said:
i learned in the circus. there was a whip involved and i mostly rode in circles. it took years for the fur hair to start growing on my back again.
what a buffoon

Tony Lombardi said:
I can relate however I stopped riding for a while but I never overcame my addiction to being thrashed with leather.