When did you learn to ride a bike?

mayasupernova

Nov 17, 2015
Serbia
For me it was when I was 8 years old. I used a small bike and found myself on the ground plenty of times. I believe I was more on the ground than on my bike?
What about you? How old were you when you first sat on your bike?

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
I still remember the moment I learnt to ride a bike really clearly. It was bright summer day when I was six years old. It surely was a fantastic experience.

I can't remember the exact age but I know that I was very young. After walking I think riding a bike and swimming were the next things I learned and my parents insisted that I learned them as soon as I could.

I was probably around 6, pretty young. I began by using training wheels as everyone does. I rode around my building rooftop until my parents finally decided I should take them off. I got the hang of it pretty quickly and it became on of my favorite things to do.

Don't remember how old I was but I started on a regular bike. I couldn't reach the pedals but my Dad took the seat off, post and all, and I still couldn't really reach them. I remember riding from side to side just to get the power stoke and my butt going over the top tube. Stioping was another story.

I was pretty young when I learned to ride a bike, but I started out with a tricycle and then I had training wheels for a long time once I graduated to a 'two wheeler'.

I remember that for some reason it took me a really long time to learn how to steer so I would just ride to the end of our driveway and then throw myself down on the grass, get up, turn my bike around, and then ride back until I bounced off our garage, at which point I would repeat the whole process. What can I say, kids are weird! :D

Reactions: concord
Learning to ride the bike is one of my dearest and most important memories and I always think about it fondly. I think about it to myself though as there's no one I shared this memory with and it's just mine. My father took me to my grandparents house for a summer when I was 5 and he promised to teach me how to ride the bike. Well, he got bored after a day and went home, leaving me alone with my grandparents who were old and really couldn't be bothered with to run around and watch if I fall or not. Over the next few weeks, I would go out every day and skin my knees and hands and elbows and sometimes my face and I would always pick myself up, dust myself off and keep going. The most important lesson of my life, learned at age 5.

I got a little bike when I was about 4 and was riding without training wheels soon after. I've always been on bikes and skates as far back as I can remember.

1967 :D

10583985_606680056131123_3872368519528192804_n_zpstc5omcv5.jpg

I got my first 2 wheeler bike with training wheels when I was about four years old. My grandfather stood by my side and helped me ride and balance myself. After about five minutes, I was balancing really well and he took off the training wheels. I was thrilled! I had a few minutes of wobbling and then straightened right up and the balancing became second nature to me. I've never fallen off a bike!

Prior to getting my first bike, I could be found roller skating on the cement sidewalks. I had the kind of skates that fit over your shoes... I practically never took them off. After learning to ride a bike I had two ways of getting around without walking! The roller skates looked something like these:
roller skates.jpg

I was very young. Maybe 5 but I'm not sure. I had a bigger bike than I could handle so when my father was trying to teach me how to ride a bike it was easy. However, it was not easy to stop, considering the fact I was barely able to touch pedals. So, we made an important decision, no it was not about buying a smaller bike, we decided we should learn on a local football pitch. I was just a boy but I knew it was better to land on grass and even though my father promised me he will not let me fall I prepared myself like Rocky in the last movie. Needless to say I was bruised like I was taking part in some radical riots. Still, I love cycling and these memories I remember with a smile.

If I recall correctly, I was between 8 and 10 when I learned to ride.

I was a very slow learner and very nervous at that. Dad was teaching us (me and my younger brother) on a hill outside our house and I suppose it was not the best place because it made me even more nervous. I gave up as a result but after seeing my younger brother riding around on his bike it pushed to to learn.

I think I was around eight years old. Maybe younger because I remember being into Mighty Morphin Power Rangers at the time and really wanting the Dino Megazord. We were at Toys R Us and my mother convinced my grandmother to buy the bike instead. I was crushed! But I learned the bike very quickly. It was a green and black Huffy and man was it ugly!

At the time of my first attempt I was like 4 o 5. I used to ride a 3-wheel bike. Then my father removed the supporting wheel. And tried to teach me to ride a bike like regular people usually do. However, he failed. I fell from my bike like twice. So, the trainings were put on hold. At the age of 8 my friend, who had two bikes, decided to help me learn. And with his help I did it in like 5 minutes.

Around 8 or so, we had an assortment of frankenbikes (putting broken bikes together) and I would share them with my many brothers and sisters.When you grow up in a large family, you share damn near everything. I'm 29 and didn't have my first bike until 8 months ago.

I was 6 or 7. I used to go everywhere on it. I got in trouble with my dad a couple of times because he said I was going too far...
I guess I have always been a tourist.

I was probably 7 or 8. Until the age of 6 my parents used the third wheel, too. I guess, to protect me from falling and hurting myself. They probably thought I was too small to ride a bike normally. Maybe they were right, I don't remember anything in details.

In the fall, I wasn't successful enough at riding my bike without any support. I was falling, actually. So, fall probably not the best time to learn how to ride. But in spring, however, I finally succeeded.

I think I was 7 when I learned to ride the bike. It seemed really scary but my dad supported me and I learnt it in the summer vacations. It was the year before I learnt swimming! My dad loves cycling too and we really bonded over the summer.

I don't remember the exact age but I think I was 8 or 9 years old. It was scary at first but afterwards, I got used to it. I still remember that priceless feeling of learning to ride for your first time.

Can't remember exactly when, guess I was born with innate riding skills :). On a serious note, I think I first rode a real bike at age 6 or 7 just like most boys. I remember ruining a purple colored bike that belonged to a girl in our neighborhood while learning to ride. The scar on my elbow is a constant reminder of the incident.