When do I replace Campy shifters???

rudycyclist

Mar 14, 2006
I am starting to notice that my 06 Campy Chorus shifters seem to jam up (note that this is not a severe problem yet, but they just seem to jam slightly once in awhile). I have used the shifters for about one and a half years. I was wondering how long everyone elses Campy shifters lasted before they needed them to be rebuilt (replace the spring inside the shifter)?

I have a bad habit of slowly twisting the rubber boot on the right hand shifter. Sometimes the twisted out of position boot interfers with shifting. Twisting it back into place allows the levers to move freely and shift properly.

Things don't wear out simply becuase of the time you've owned. How mnay kms have you done in this time and how often do you shift. For example rolling terrian requires you to shift more often than flat roads or long steady climbs.

It's mostly flat around here with rolling hills. I probably have around 5000 miles on them.

I don't think it's my housing/cables. I changed them about 3 months ago. It may help but I don't believe that is the problem. Again, I'm not experiencing much difficulty with this problem yet, but I've started to notice it within the past week or 2 so I'm wondering if other Campy users experienced this as well.

I've been riding Chorus 10 since 2002. If anything, they just keep getting smoother. Never really had any problems with the shifters hanging up. Never had any problems at all, come to think of it.

I did have an issue when I went to through handlebar cabling, the pull was very stiff on shifters and brakes, resulted in slow shifting. Had to change cable housings to the delrin lined variety - that did the trick.

rudycyclist said:
It's mostly flat around here with rolling hills. I probably have around 5000 miles on them.

I don't think it's my housing/cables. I changed them about 3 months ago. It may help but I don't believe that is the problem. Again, I'm not experiencing much difficulty with this problem yet, but I've started to notice it within the past week or 2 so I'm wondering if other Campy users experienced this as well.
I think you've actually answered your own question if you think about it:
  • No problems at the end of last season with the old cables/housing ...
  • Changed cables/housing ...
  • New season, problem exists.
If you didn't replace the Campagnolo housing & cables with Campagnolo housing & cables, then you definitely need to lube them REGARDLESS of the brand.

If you the current housing & cables are Campagnolo, then check your installation.

FWIW. I found that it is better to route the derailleur housing adjacent to the brake housing (i.e., in front) on the handlebar -- this is especially true if you are using most non-Campagnolo housing.

FYI. When a Campagnolo shifter goes hinky, it fails to hold the engaged shift; and, that is when the two G-springs need to be replaced. I think Branford recommended servicing at about 12,000 miles (maybe, it was more; but, definitely more if you shift less frequently than a presumed average [whatever THAT means]).