When do you start fluid replacement?

Benjoy

Jul 29, 2005
Just wondering, when do you guys start drinking when training? How long after you start?

Benjoy said:
Just wondering, when do you guys start drinking when training? How long after you start?
I start before riding. Then I sip about every 15 minutes for the first 1.5 hours then every 10 min after that.

Benjoy said:

I drink half of a water bottle right before I start (and refill it, of course). Then I drink at 20 minutes into the ride and then every 10 minutes after that, aiming to down about 1/2 a liter per hour (not counting the pre-ride drink), although I think I'm going to increase this to more like a full liter per hour based on some things I've been reading lately.

jjjtttggg said:
I drink half of a water bottle right before I start (and refill it, of course). Then I drink at 20 minutes into the ride and then every 10 minutes after that, aiming to down about 1/2 a liter per hour (not counting the pre-ride drink), although I think I'm going to increase this to more like a full liter per hour based on some things I've been reading lately.
Thanks. I never drink before I start, but now I will try to see if it makes any difference.

I take a rather extreme approach and drink about 1 liter pre ride and then skip the first 60 minutes. Lets me get clear of the most aggressive traffic before having to divert my attention. For maximum hydration you should take 6-8 oz at a time. More volume speeds stomach emptying; sipping leads your stomach to believe it can remain on holiday. Might also be the reason my massive fluid attack pre ride has worked well for me. Telling my stomach to wake up and get to work!

I drink a liter in my first hour every 15 minutes, then i start in the second hour with gatorade/powerade any electrolyte drink and drink about 1.5 bottles. I need to get a camelback for fluids on longer rides.