When do you use your tri-bike for everyday rides?

Michael Emerald

Guest
Hi. I live in New England and do a lot of cycling with
cyclists, in groups as large as 12 and as small as 3, on
roads that are open and scenic, and on roads that are more
highly trafficked. Question is, when should I be using my
aero-bar equipped bike, versus my normal road bike? My tri-
bike is actually a road bike, but the seat is slightly
angled and I lose the top of the bar, so it should be used
primarily in aero position. As you can tell, I'm new to the
sport, though I can sit comfortably in a tuck for awhile. My
considerations are traffic, the group's safety, etc. How do
you handle this question yourself?

Thanks, Michael

"Michael Emerald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi. I live in New England and do a lot of cycling with
> cyclists, in groups as large as 12 and as small as 3, on
> roads that are open and scenic, and on roads that are more
> highly trafficked. Question is, when should I be using my
> aero-bar equipped bike, versus my normal road bike? My tri-
> bike is actually a road bike, but the seat is slightly
> angled and I lose the top of the bar, so it should be used
> primarily in aero position. As you can tell, I'm new to
> the sport, though I can sit comfortably in a tuck for
> awhile. My considerations are traffic, the group's safety,
> etc. How do you handle this question yourself?
>
> Thanks, Michael

Personally I am not fortunate enough to own more than one
bike - so my tri configured bike is it.

Rodies will give you hell, but if you don't go down on your
aerobars during a group ride it shouldn't matter. However
if you want to practice your aero position - get away from
the group.

Same with traffic. I too ride here in New England (Rhode
Island) and you don't want/need to be aero where there is
car congestion. I ride a great deal in western Rhode
Island where you're more likely to get hit by a squirrel
than a car.

The way that I handle it is that I train for TT which means
I do a lot of riding by myself. I have selected several
routes that have shoulders and/or have minimal traffic and
especially minimal traffic lights and stop signs.

-CF

"ChronoFish" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Rodies will give you hell, but if you don't go down on your
>aerobars during a group ride it shouldn't matter.

Actually, they probably won't "give you hell" unless you DO
go to the aerobars. On the rides I've been on the roadies
might look at you a little sideways until you prove you're
not suicidal.

FWIW, I did see a young lady doing the Tour de Tucson a year
ago - riding in the middle of the pack on the aerobars. She
made it nearly 95 miles before she finally went down
(luckily didn't take any innocents down with her foolish
self). ;-)

> However if you want to practice your aero position - get
> away from the group.

Yeah, go off the front... (they like a rabbit). ;-)

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of
the $695 ti frame

Sorry but I'm very new at this, what's the difference
between aero and normal? I mean I know what the actual
positions are but what's so bad about riding aero that
"roadies" will give you hell for? Right now I ride on my
dad's racing bike but he doesn't have aero bars but whenever
I go somewhere, I generally see most of the cyclists with
aero bars.

Thanks! Nicole

On 5/10/04 9:13 PM, in article [email protected], wrote:

> Sorry but I'm very new at this, what's the difference
> between aero and normal? I mean I know what the actual
> positions are but what's so bad about riding aero that
> "roadies" will give you hell for? Right now I ride on my
> dad's racing bike but he doesn't have aero bars but
> whenever I go somewhere, I generally see most of the
> cyclists with aero bars.
>
> Thanks! Nicole

Nichole,

I'll refrain from commenting on why roadies make fun of
triathletes in general since it would require its own
newsgroup...

As far as aero goes; "being aero" refers to any time your
elbows are planted on your aero bars. Roadies will give you
hell for doing this (rightfully so) because when your arms
are in aerobars it usually means that your hands are not
within reach of the brakes. Having a rider without brakes is
generally considered bad in a crowd of cyclists.

Do the cycling world a favor and limit your "going aero" to
events where rules against drafting are in effect (meaning
there is supposed to be space between cyclists) or when you
are training alone. If you insist on "going aero" while in a
pack of riders, make sure you know them REALLY well and ask
them first if they don't mind losing skin on your behalf.

John

On 5/10/04 9:32 PM, in article BCC5A56C.6C42%[email protected], "John
Hardt" wrote:

> On 5/10/04 9:13 PM, in article c7p9b4$5ba$1@news-
> int.gatech.edu, wrote:
>
>> Sorry but I'm very new at this, what's the difference
>> between aero and normal? I mean I know what the actual
>> positions are but what's so bad about riding aero that
>> "roadies" will give you hell for? Right now I ride on my
>> dad's racing bike but he doesn't have aero bars but
>> whenever I go somewhere, I generally see most of the
>> cyclists with aero bars.
>>
>> Thanks! Nicole
>
> Nichole,

Oops. Apologies for butchering your name.