When does an electric rec. become a car?

Goandkickit

Aug 3, 2009
Does anybody know how heavy and large an electric recumbent bike can be, before it is classed as a car? I want to design an electric car/bike, with three or four wheels, but I need to know what limits there are on weight and length, before even attempting it. If it's going to be classified as a car, then I am in new territory and I would presume it also needs to have crash tests and umpteen other criteria will need to be met by it.

Goandkickit said:
Does anybody know how heavy and large an electric recumbent bike can be, before it is classed as a car? I want to design an electric car/bike, with three or four wheels, but I need to know what limits there are on weight and length, before even attempting it. If it's going to be classified as a car, then I am in new territory and I would presume it also needs to have crash tests and umpteen other criteria will need to be met by it.

Aren't recumbents already cars?

It depends on your state laws.

For Texas;
Four wheels makes it a car,
Three wheels makes it a cycle.

Over 750w makes it a moped,
Under 750w makes it a bicycle.

If you'll give your state I can can give you your state's definition, but you county and city will probably not be available online.