When doesn't a LBS deserve my business?

Brian in VA

Jul 10, 2011
I scored a bonus this year and my wife told me to go buy a new bike. (Yeah, she's my biggest fan.) I've been riding a mid-90s Giant CFR3 for about 2 years that I purchased from Craigslist, putting about 2,000 miles per year on it.

I decide to work very hard to buy it locally, as I usually do, instead of from a chain. But if I'm dropping $2K on one of my hobbies, I'm going to make damn sure I buy intelligently.

I hit 3 of the local shops for test rides a couple of Fridays ago. The first shop did it's absolute best to sell me one of the trade-ins they had, despite me telling them I was interested in a new bike. My only beef with purchasing another used bike is, I can't tell if it's a good deal or not. Besides, they guy immediately showed me something $500 more than I said I wanted to spend. (I train salespeople for a living, so I know selling techniques. He didn't give me a reason for showing me higher prices, he just did. Fail.) I did ride a Giant Defy that was amazing but it was also about twice what I wanted to spend. One of the other guys in the shop, I took him to be the owner, said, in a really shitty tone, something like, "Yeah they make one in your price range but it's that cheap carbon." Sorry, I don't like being talked down to....I told them I'm not a racer, not putting that much into this purchase. Besides, he degraded one of his manufacturers' products. See ya.

Next place grudgingly let me take a test ride, wouldn't give me any assistance or recommendations with type of bike to buy, and made it feel like I was an interruption of their day. The bike rode fairly well but I was wondering what it would be like after they had my money....would I get decent service?

Next place treated me very well, set me up with a great test ride, and exceeded my expectations. The Cannondale bike, however, wasn't a comfortable ride, coming in 4th in my tests. I really wanted to buy here but the price of this bike, coupled with a bad ride pushed me away.

I finally went to Performance....yeah, I know, the evil empire. You know what? They were surprisingly good. I got Fuji Gran Fondo 2.1 which had the second best ride of all the bikes I tried for about $300 less than my budget, full 105 group, and since it was triple points weekend, $480 worth of "rebates" to buy accessories. Money-wise, it was the best deal by far.

I feel badly that I didn't buy from the local guys. And I also think it was their fault. If I were selling in any of their stores and had a guy like me coming in, I could have closed him by making him feel wanted.

Thoughts?

Brian in VA

P.S. I love the bike!

There's nothing wrong with your choice. The first two shops didn't deserve your money, and the third shop, unfortunately, didn't have a bike that suited you or your budget. You can always go to that third shop for service, accessories, and other needs. Note that Performance Bike service isn't known for its high quality.

It's your money and you're entitled to spend as much or as little, where ever you want. I buy heaps of stuff online and also at several local bike shops.

I also bought a Fuji during the 30% weekend. I picked up an Altamira 3.0, but had a frame upgrade due to damage. The frame is from an Altamira 1.0 and the Fork is the FC330. Thw wheels, brakes and components are all from the 3.0. I ended up with a full carbon road bike with the hi mod carbon and the same fork used on their factory race teams, all for $1399 and it came with a $420 store credit. That covered shoes, pedals, lights, bottle cages and a computer, oh and two pair of top of the line riding shorts. I as expecting Performance Bike to be a step below the other LBS in my area, and there are many really good ones. But honestly, the fitment went very well, there service has been excellent, and I really can't say anything negative about the whole experience.

That second salesperson was a real douche, no sale. I would just find one that you trust and use it. In general, I shop online for accessories and clothing, but I go to the shop for seasonal and pre-race/ride tuning. Incidentally, I would have strongly recommended the Trek 1.1. Aluminum. Love it. $800 brand new. But, hey, that Fuji is a great ride. Enjoy!

Performance price matches and the two local shops have competent mechanics. I buy from them online and at their retail shops with no problems. You chose wisely, OP.

"But honestly, the fitment went very well, there service has been excellent, and I really can't say anything negative about the whole experience."

This has been my experience as well. I'm really picky about the fit of my cycling shoes and the staff at Performance went WAY beyond what is reasonable to insure I was satisfied. Performance may lack the pro-aura of some of the more pretentious outfits, but they have done well by me. Just my two cents worth.

I buy from everybody, local, Performance and Nashbar (I love Nashbar). I have enough business to go around. I don't think I have ever bought a new bike in my entire life (54 years). They are nice, but there are plenty of used bikes out there that need and deserve a good home. I am a sucker for classic and vintage bikes to re-build. I've got a nice stable-full right now...... There is nothing wrong with buying something where you can get the best deal. It's called competition, and Free-Market. And, it's your money. Spend it however you want. You don't owe a local business anything. It's up to them to attract your business.

schwinnhund said:
I buy from everybody, local, Performance and Nashbar (I love Nashbar). I have enough business to go around. I don't think I have ever bought a new bike in my entire life (54 years). They are nice, but there are plenty of used bikes out there that need and deserve a good home. I am a sucker for classic and vintage bikes to re-build. I've got a nice stable-full right now...... There is nothing wrong with buying something where you can get the best deal. It's called competition, and Free-Market. And, it's your money. Spend it however you want. You don't owe a local business anything. It's up to them to attract your business.
FYI, Performance and Nashbar are about as local as Home Depot and Walmart.

Originally Posted by alienator .

FYI, Performance and Nashbar are about as local as Home Depot and Walmart.
Uhmm ...

Is THAT a veiled political statement which YOU have interjected or am 'I' reading something into it which you did not intend?!?

alfeng said:
Uhmm ...   Is THAT a veiled political statement which YOU have interjected or am 'I' reading something into it which you did not intend?!?
You're reading something into it that isn't there.

You're reading something into it that isn't there.
Good ... Then you shouldn't think that my making the observation that the non-local retailers whom you mentioned hire more people than all of the combined small shops whose inventory they have in common can-or-do hire AND the so-called non-local stores can therefore be considered to be a greater benefit to the community than the "local" shops is a political statement ... UNLESS you somehow think I am interjecting a political statement in this thread, too, whereas you somehow were not. .

alfeng said:
Good ...     Then you shouldn't think that my making the observation that the non-local retailers whom you mentioned hire more people than all of the combined small shops whose inventory they have in common can-or-do hire AND the so-called non-local stores can therefore be considered to be a greater benefit to the community than the "local" shops is a political statement ...   UNLESS you somehow think I am interjecting a political statement in this thread, too, whereas you somehow were not.   .
I really don't care how you want to prolong this. I just said Performance and Nashbar aren't really local bike shops. Rant on, little buddy.

I really don't care how you want to prolong this. I just said Performance and Nashbar aren't really local bike shops. Rant on, little buddy.
Where in my observation was there a rant?

How was my query for clarification as to why your statement wasn't political a rant?

Just because MY observation is not a terse shot-across-the-bow which parrots what others of a certain political ilk have espoused throughout the years doesn't mean that your remark wasn't political ...

BTW. What your earlier denial revealed is that you are amongst the useful idiots who is so deeply indoctrinated that you apparently don't even know that you are amongst those whom the originators of this-or-that faux notion rely on.