When ebay goes wrong

rayhuang

Jul 27, 2006
What recourse do us "buyers" have when you dont get what you expect on ebay? I unerstand you can ask for your money back, but its not that easy. Let me start with whats ging on with me. I bought a used 10sp DA cassette thats questionable at best. Its rusty and DA cassetes have Ti cogs which doesnt get red rust on it.

NOw the seller has 100% perfect rating with 339 auctions. Thats pretty good stuff. But where it gets dodgy is he says send it back and if its the one I sent and it is as I say it is-he'll refund the money.
Thats sounds like a way to say "Nope, you switched it-I am not giving your money back and if you want the cassette back-paypal me more money for the shipping!!".

Well-I sent him clear digital pics of the cassette as soon as I got it which shows that it is clearly covered(21-25 cogs and the next three gear cluster as well) in rust and he says he cannot tell. How can you not tell with a shiny ring next to it as reference? The only ones not rusty, but have small rust spots on them are the loose ones.

I'd like to know my legal rights here? Once I mail it back to him, its gone as is my money.

But if I want my money back-I guess I got to send back the cassette for his inspection?

Ray

To be fair, I should include his ebay descritpion verbatim. I will only chnage font size if it interfers with the screen size:

Great Condition
Shimano Dura Ace 7800 10 Speed Cassette
12-25
very low miles with very few marks and tons of miles left on it.
Great Condition !! Good Luck.

Understand I am NOT asking about what to do within the rules of ebay, which I have read, I mean about him claiming it is not the one he sent to me. What then are my rights or how do I safeguard myself?

Ebay has a dispute link that you can notify ebay directly of the problem/discrepency. They will contact the seller on your behalf and try to resolve the conflict without you running the risk of losing out of your money already paid in and or the item.

With the kind of feedback you say the seller has I would as well feel inclined to think it was on the up and up; that he backs his products. But like anything we buy sight unseen, there are no guarantees.

Definately check the verbiage and small print in the posting. It may have stated something that alluded to the item being sent as not being the exact one in the pic or something of that nature.

rayhuang said:
Understand I am NOT asking about what to do within the rules of ebay, which I have read, I mean about him claiming it is not the one he sent to me. What then are my rights or how do I safeguard myself?
In practical terms: Nada. Zip. Bupkis.

When using EBay, count on being screwed on a regular basis.

Bro Deal said:
In practical terms: Nada. Zip. Bupkis.

When using EBay, count on being screwed on a regular basis.
I think this is interesting as there is a thread dealing with a Walmart Schwinn Varsity. There quite a few suggestions declaring that buying a used bike on ebay is better than buying the walmart bike. However, walmart does have a fairly liberal return policy.

The problems I have had trying to buy a bike off of ebay were:

when buying a used bike, its usually an "auction" format where you don't know if you win until 5 days later, at around 1 am Eastern Standard Time... usually someone comes in at the last minute and out bids you...

You don't really know what kind of condition the bike will come in... and its funny but different people have different prices for shipping a bike.

even if you buy new, a carbon fibre or titanium bike is an expensive deal to trust that you are going to get what you ordered... on the low end, I did buy a bike that I truly found that was a great deal (I have only used low end bikes so keep that in mind if you can't live without the carbon fibre or titanium doodads...). I bought that from a non-auction format where the seller had a "buy it now" price.

if that was me i would open dispute and try and get my money back as the product is not as described. Sure he has sent you a nice little present, but he must stills end you this "excellent condition" cog too.

Id claim your money back, and once you have your money back tell him you will be more than happy to return the product to him providing he pays shipping for it to go back, as it is not your fault that he sent you a faulty product.

A good rating means he is probably honest and all, but prehaps he's counting on making you think that.

If he gives you a bad rating, boo hoo. i guess you just put a comment on it saying product was not as described, and make his rating less than 100%.

You have nothing to lose if you dispute it. Ebay is not such a bad thing if you are savvy about it. having said that buying used parts is relying on someones honesty to give the right description.

Descriptions like that are still open to interpretation

very low miles with very few marks and tons of miles left on it.
Great Condition !!

Unless there was a picture posted in the description, It's hard to say the above description doesnt really tell one in detail what the item is like. but hey you can appeal to the sellers goodwill/honesty if there is any.

Well-I didnt go the route of a formal dispute on ebay. I may regret that. I sent the "perfect condition" in his words cassette back to him usps delivery confirmed yesterday. He should have it no later than tomorrow (11/4).

Where I am worried now is his claim that its perfect-its covered in rust. Hes either going to have to eat crow and admit he sent me a rusty cassette or hes gonna lie to try and save face and I will have to start in with the tedious business of cleaning up this mess.

And yes-he has reffered to his 100% positive and 330+ auctions as his way of proving that I am crazy to doubt him. I responded that the only reason I havent notified ebay, paypal and left negative feedback is his stellar rating. As I said I am giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe I shouldnt.

Lastly-I asked him-how stupid do you think people are that they cannot recognize something as common as rust?

ebay is a Yard sale ever notice that?

fight with Ebay, andalso fight with paypal
and also fight with the seller nicely.

Ebay will pass you to paypal, and paypal will not release you funds until 30 days later.

they'll make good for themselves and robb you of your $$ and you'll then be suprised to see $$ refunded back to you?

I hate it but never look a gift hrse in the both
a sucker born every minute
too good to be true.

they said excellent condition
it to me is USED!
New in box USED
taken Pics go to court fight it out good luck sorry for your grif

fishycomics said:
ebay is a Yard sale ever notice that?

fight with Ebay, andalso fight with paypal
and also fight with the seller nicely.

Ebay will pass you to paypal, and paypal will not release you funds until 30 days later.

they'll make good for themselves and robb you of your $$ and you'll then be suprised to see $$ refunded back to you?

I hate it but never look a gift hrse in the both
a sucker born every minute
too good to be true.

they said excellent condition
it to me is USED!
New in box USED
taken Pics go to court fight it out good luck sorry for your grif
Well-I hope this ends here-here is his final reply to me. I left out his name, but thats it.

Ray,
Why are you so hard to deal with? Check your Paypal account, I sent your refund over this morning after I had a chance to look at the cassette. You really passed up a great deal, The teeth on the cogs were perfectly square with very little wear. You should consider buying new next time you seem like that type.
Please don't forget to send me the $5 for my out of pocket expenses when you get that new DA 10 speed derailleur and it has the same rust.
Good luck to you.

What I love about it is he is now finally admitting to selling a rusty cassette. Wow-how does a guy like him get lucky enough to have perfect rating when hes such a scum bag?

Ray

be happy you got your money back

it is both you and the seller good luck next time round. buying new can be a better way you'll
not getripped off, and not pay overcharged prices

rayhuang said:
Well-I hope this ends here-here is his final reply to me. I left out his name, but thats it.

Ray,
Why are you so hard to deal with? Check your Paypal account, I sent your refund over this morning after I had a chance to look at the cassette. You really passed up a great deal, The teeth on the cogs were perfectly square with very little wear. You should consider buying new next time you seem like that type.
Please don't forget to send me the $5 for my out of pocket expenses when you get that new DA 10 speed derailleur and it has the same rust.
Good luck to you.

What I love about it is he is now finally admitting to selling a rusty cassette. Wow-how does a guy like him get lucky enough to have perfect rating when hes such a scum bag?

Ray

This has nothing to do with biking, but it is on the eBay topic. I bought the 2001 Corvette C5R model kit that won the 24 hours of Daytona, I received it today, but it was the wrong kit.

I don't think it is fair to blame ebay per se for this type of thing - it is the vendor that is at fault (though in this case he did put it right).

buying second hand kit sight unseen could lead to similar stories whatever the venue.

there are some bargains to be had on ebay for cyclists (new and used) but the caveat emptor rule certainly applies.

Man. If he has a 100% positive feedback, and over 300 auctions under his belt, it is highly unlikely that he'll risk pissing you off and taking his first negative hit (feedback) over this. Especially if you are cool about it.
If you are paying the return shipping he'll only be out a couple of bucks and the little time it took to list it. Plus, he can relist it instantly using the old auction as a template.
I make most of my money on eBay, and if it comes down to it I'll refund for any reason if the customer just sends it back. It's just one of the risks you take as a seller.
You did right by buying from somebody with a good reputation. I would be shocked if he refused your refund, and can't imagine having to open a dispute over it.
When you mail it back BE SURE TO GET A SIGNATURE from him. It's only like an extra dollar, and that is one of the 1st things eBay and PayPal will look at if the unlikely dispute needs to be filed.

zorly said:
Man. If he has a 100% positive feedback, and over 300 auctions under his belt, it is highly unlikely that he'll risk pissing you off and taking his first negative hit (feedback) over this. Especially if you are cool about it.
If you are paying the return shipping he'll only be out a couple of bucks and the little time it took to list it. Plus, he can relist it instantly using the old auction as a template.
I make most of my money on eBay, and if it comes down to it I'll refund for any reason if the customer just sends it back. It's just one of the risks you take as a seller.
You did right by buying from somebody with a good reputation. I would be shocked if he refused your refund, and can't imagine having to open a dispute over it.
When you mail it back BE SURE TO GET A SIGNATURE from him. It's only like an extra dollar, and that is one of the 1st things eBay and PayPal will look at if the unlikely dispute needs to be filed.
sadly he was a complete ***** about it, even after receiving back the rusty cassette!! But yes he did refind my money-but he said when i buy another rusty cassette or my cassettes get rusty-he wants his e-bay fees refunded!!

we also made an agreement that wed settle this outside of the feedback and leave each other positives so I left positive and he never left me feedback. I am still amazed i am the only person whos had a problem with his guy!!

good that you got your refend

less good that you left a positive but gotnothing in return - who knows how many other less than perfect transactions have been dealt with this way by this seller. If everyone used feedback properly, a warning to you may have been there.

don't let it put you off ebay entirely though, there are some great sellers on there

Ebay can be a bit tricky. Got to study the ad, especially the photos. Stay away from < 100 feedback sellers. In eight years of buying/selling on ebay, I've been stiffed twice. Both times, it was a < 100 feedback seller.

Couple of killer bike parts deals I got on ebay:

Cinelli RAM bars. Used, but only minor scuffing around the lever mount area. $200

Zipp 404's in tubie, with 2 sets of used (but working) tires: $650

Got both deals in late September/early October, when the better bike parts get cheap(er) for a brief period. Riding season is coming to a close, and most people aren't thinking about upgrading.

OTOH, always check with a reputable online retailer before buying on ebay. Quite often, especially with popular items, you can buy new from a store for not much more than you'd pay for a used item from an unknown seller.