When ebay goes wrong

JohnO said:
Ebay can be a bit tricky. Got to study the ad, especially the photos. Stay away from < 100 feedback sellers. In eight years of buying/selling on ebay, I've been stiffed twice. Both times, it was a < 100 feedback seller.

Soooooooooo, then how does someone get more than 100 sales or 100 feedback? I have, I think, 46 sales on eBay and am pretty insulted by your smarmy little insinuation.

Nothing like a good generalization to get unthinking people through their day.

alienator said:
Soooooooooo, then how does someone get more than 100 sales or 100 feedback? I have, I think, 46 sales on eBay and am pretty insulted by your smarmy little insinuation.

Nothing like a good generalization to get unthinking people through their day.

You got an attitude, don't you?

The simple answer is, do enough business on ebay to indicate that you are reliable. If I am going to send money off to a total stranger and hope they do the right thing on the other end, I want to see some indication that they've done so in the past.

And it's not a generalization - low feedback sellers are where most of the problems occur. That, and hijacked accounts.

JohnO said:

Nope....unless you mean about stupid generalizations, then, yeah, I guess I do cop an attitude when people ignorantly generalize.

You have a penchant for rushing to judgement, eh?

JohnO said:
The simple answer is, do enough business on ebay to indicate that you are reliable. If I am going to send money off to a total stranger and hope they do the right thing on the other end, I want to see some indication that they've done so in the past.

Maybe everyone should look to you, then, before they buy on eBay, right?

So, how, again, do people get to 100+ sales/feedback iffin' people shouldn't buy from people with less than 100 sales/feedback?

Do you think you can find the contradiction,there?

JohnO said:
And it's not a generalization - low feedback sellers are where most of the problems occur. That, and hijacked accounts.

Oh, so there ARE other ways to get boned on eBay...hmmmm. Imagine that.

JohnO said:
Don't worry about alienator. He's a well known troll on many cycling forums. We've tried to get him to go back on his meds, but we have not met with much success.

Looks like Ebay did not go wrong.
The seller did describe the casette reasonably.
The buyer made unreasonable assumptions.
The seller did refund the money.
The seller has been stung by customers returning items different to those sold.
The buyer is still not satisfied and continues to make unreasonable assumptions.
Alienator is not a troll and 'we' do not agree with Bro Deal!

This thread is still going? :confused: here's my two cents. In this case buyer was lucky as you don't get any chances for a refund in a real auction because you don't like something you have bought.
When comes down to buying anything, especially used goods there's plenty of opportunity for a potential buyer to do their research and ask questions before bidding. Descriptions by the seller and expectations from the buyer can vary especially in used goods descriptions can be very subjective depending on the individual.
In this case the seller has done the right thing even though he had no obligation, everything else is speculation. I don't believe genuine sellers who want to exist long term would do anything deliberate to decieve anyone.
Sure I have been burn't :mad: but I havent let it happen again as I put it upon myself to make sure it doesn't. I'd rather Ebay than pay full retail. :cool:

eBay has its flaws. But on the whole, it rocks.

Getting screwed shouldn't be a regular thing. If it is, YOU'RE doing something wrong. As far as this case goes, worse case scenario, the seller claims it isn't the original set he sent you, and he'll send it back. But looking at his feedback, I'd imagine he'll be reasonable.

I agree that, in general, E-bay is a safe and viable alternative to paying retail. However, I got royally screwed on E-bay once and learned a couple of things the hard way. It was two years ago and I had bought my kids a mini-bike (the little crotch rocket looking things) from someone who had more than 1000 feedbacks and like a 99.7% positive rating. To make a long story short, we never got the thing, we never got our $345 back, and we haven't heard anything from ebay, paypal, or the internet fraud website. The lessons I learned from this were: If you buy on E-bay, make sure you always pay with paypal or make sure your credit card has fraud protection, and if you do use paypal, make sure you get either the item or request a refund no later than 30 days after you pay. Our mistake was to let that deadline pass. Once 30 days is gone, you can't request your money thru paypal and the most damage you can do is leave bad feedback. In our case, the people must have messed over a bunch of people because they got numerous bad feedbacks all at once and their account was suspended shortly thereafter.

Akadat said:
Looks like Ebay did not go wrong.
The seller did describe the casette reasonably.
The buyer made unreasonable assumptions.
The seller did refund the money.
The seller has been stung by customers returning items different to those sold.
The buyer is still not satisfied and continues to make unreasonable assumptions.
Alienator is not a troll and 'we' do not agree with Bro Deal!
Correct...;)

I like to watch an item until the last 30 seconds or so ,swoop in and snag it from other bidders.
Whether I need or want it doesn't matter. It is just my way of saying life is hard and not fair.
I am going broke doing it but I get to **** a lot of people off. :D

jhuskey said:
I like to watch an item until the last 30 seconds or so ,swoop in and snag it from other bidders.
Whether I need or want it doesn't matter. It is just my way of saying life is hard and not fair.
Thats too sick!! :) I continue to buy on e-bay-this last experience hasnt scared me off. I must be watching 15 or 20 different things right now.

I thought this was a unique circumstance where a "good guy" mis advertised his product and was so insulting and arrogant/cocky about it I didnt think I was going to get my money back.

It's getting to the point that I buy almost everything I need short of food and gas (okay and beer) off of eBay because I can almost always get what I want/need cheaper there (and yes that's factoring in shipping)! If you want new, you can get it new there too. I've never had one problem with anyone trying to job me. Someone did hijack my account once but eBay caught it right away and took care of it.

Example: The sweater I'm wearing right at this moment is a name brand, Italian merino wool sweater that I've seen "on sale" in the store for $60 (in a size large/tall which is hard to find!). I got it off of eBay new, with the tags still on it for $20 plus $7 shipping. If you're gonna buy something (anything!) that costs more than $5 and you don't need it "right now", check eBay (or Half.com, which is part of eBay) first. You can get it cheaper there. Seriously!

Oh and no, I don't work for or have any affiliation with eBay. It's just cheaper to buy stuff there.

jhuskey said:
So it's you preventing me from winning!!!!!! :mad: hahaha :D Makes it competitive like a hunt!! Can't manage anything under 15second drop bid connection too slow sometimes.!!!