When is a century not a century?

Matabala

Guest
All this talk about the mythic "century" begs the question. Does it really count if you're stopping
on 2/3/4 occasions for more time than it takes for a quick ****?

Originally posted by Matabala
All this talk about the mythic "century" begs the question. Does it really count if you're stopping
on 2/3/4 occasions for more time than it takes for a quick ****?

Since this is not a racing pertinant question, why are you posting it on this NG?

"matabala" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> All this talk about the mythic "century" begs the question. Does it
really
> count if you're stopping on 2/3/4 occasions for more time than it takes
for
> a quick ****?

A "century" is only a 100 mile bike ride, nothing "mythic" about it.

You should be doing one at least once a month, just to get the miles in.

Doesn't need to be an organized century, just do 100 miles on a training ride.

Dashii

In article <[email protected]>, Carl Sundquist
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Matabala wrote:
> > All this talk about the mythic "century" begs the question. Does it really count if you're
> > stopping on 2/3/4 occasions for more time than it takes for a quick ****?
>

> Since this is not a racing pertinant question, why are you posting it on this NG?

Well, a certain never-doped poster did mention "winning a more than a dozen centuries" recently,
so it could have something to do with that. Win!!! a Century! and other valuable prizes! (Sorry,
Tennessee...)

--
tanx, Howard

"Better a lapdog for a slip of a girl than a ... git." Blackadder

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

"Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "matabala" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > All this talk about the mythic "century" begs the question. Does it
> really
> > count if you're stopping on 2/3/4 occasions for more time than it takes
> for
> > a quick ****?
>
> A "century" is only a 100 mile bike ride, nothing "mythic" about it.
>
> You should be doing one at least once a month, just to get the miles in.
>
> Doesn't need to be an organized century, just do 100 miles on a training ride.

No ****. I could never figure out why people would pay $$$ to do that when they could ride the same
public roads for free.

"Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "matabala" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > All this talk about the mythic "century" begs the question. Does it
> really
> > count if you're stopping on 2/3/4 occasions for more time than it takes
> for
> > a quick ****?
>
> A "century" is only a 100 mile bike ride, nothing "mythic" about it.
>
> You should be doing one at least once a month, just to get the miles in.
>
> Doesn't need to be an organized century, just do 100 miles on a training ride.
>
> Dashii

For cyclists just getting "serious" the first century ride is a milestone of some "mythic"
proportion. The double century is, IMO, more of a true cyclist's milestone or benchmark. Both can of
course be done alone or with a small group of friends. But it's also fun to do it as part of an
organized century event. I have fond memories of the Katy Flatland century in Texas. And you never
know, there might be belly dancers at the finish----that's mythic.

news:H1q%[email protected]...

> For cyclists just getting "serious" the first century ride is a milestone
of
> some "mythic" proportion. The double century is, IMO, more of a true cyclist's milestone or
> benchmark. Both can of course be done alone or
with
> a small group of friends. But it's also fun to do it as part of an organized century event. I have
> fond memories of the Katy Flatland
century
> in Texas. And you never know, there might be belly dancers at the finish----that's mythic.

Damn.

With events like the Katy Flatland Century under your belt, it's no wonder you think the TdF is no
longer epic.

Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> No ****. I could never figure out why people would pay $$$ to do that when they could ride the
> same public roads for free.

The regular rest stops, well stocked with sunscreen, food and drink, and their obvious invitation to
rest up a spell, are worth it to me. When I go for a training ride, I tend to ride farther between
stops (sometimes no stops at all for 60 miles), skimp on the re-fuels, and therefore end up riding
slower and hurting more afterwards.

Perhaps I should think about changing my approach to training rides.

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:17:26 -0600, Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:

> Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
>
>> No ****. I could never figure out why people would pay $$$ to do that when they could ride the
>> same public roads for free.
>
> The regular rest stops, well stocked with sunscreen, food and drink, and their obvious invitation
> to rest up a spell, are worth it to me. When I go for a training ride, I tend to ride farther
> between stops (sometimes no stops at all for 60 miles), skimp on the re-fuels, and therefore end
> up riding slower and hurting more afterwards.
>
> Perhaps I should think about changing my approach to training rides.

Plus, you might get to meet other people. I've joined a few clubs, but the rides are generally far
from where I live, and I'm training a lot (for me). A ride you pay for will have other people to
meet. I've signed up for two so far this year.

--
Bob M in CT remove 'x.' to reply

Raptor wrote:

> Perhaps I should think about changing my approach to training rides.

Like carrying food and drink with you?

-)

news:Gps%[email protected]...

> news:H1q%[email protected]...
> >
> > For cyclists just getting "serious" the first century ride is a
milestone
> of
> > some "mythic" proportion. The double century is, IMO, more of a true cyclist's milestone or
> > benchmark. Both can of course be done alone or
> with
> > a small group of friends. But it's also fun to do it as part of an organized century event. I
> > have fond memories of the Katy Flatland
> century
> > in Texas. And you never know, there might be belly dancers at the finish----that's mythic.
>

> Damn.
>

> With events like the Katy Flatland Century under your belt, it's no wonder you think the TdF is no
> longer epic.

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:x%k%[email protected]:

<snip>

> No ****. I could never figure out why people would pay $$$ to do that when they could ride the
> same public roads for free.

That's why I don't pay. I jump in the pack a few miles after the start. Of course, I bring my own
food/drinks, so as not to cause any expense to the organizers.

- Boyd S.

Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

<snip>

> Well, a certain never-doped poster did mention "winning a more than a dozen centuries"
> recently, so it could have something to do with that. Win!!! a Century! and other valuable
> prizes! (Sorry, Tennessee...)

So what was the prize when Never-Doped "won" a century? A cookie, a pickle, or a button?

- Boyd S.

Kurgan Gringioni <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Doesn't need to be an organized century, just do 100 miles on a training ride.

> No ****. I could never figure out why people would pay $$$ to do that when they could ride the
> same public roads for free.

Some people need the event to provide motivation. Or they like it as a social event. Or chowing down
at the rest stops. Or, for the less self-sufficient, they need the reassurance of knowing there are
other riders and sag vehicles out there. Finally, they may just want to show off their Primal Wear
jerseys. (So _that's_ who buys all those Primal Wear jerseys!)

It's not really my scene, but for the average club that puts on a century, it could be their biggest
fund raiser of the year, so it's a good thing that people want to do them.

Sometimes it's worth the fee for the food. The Baton Rouge Bicycle Club's Jambalaya Tours in
November is well worth the cost for the food and the riding is some of the best in Louisiana.

Your turn, Henry. :)

"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:x%k%[email protected]:
>
> <snip>
>
> > No ****. I could never figure out why people would pay $$$ to do that
when
> > they could ride the same public roads for free.
>
> That's why I don't pay. I jump in the pack a few miles after the start. Of course, I bring my own
> food/drinks, so as not to cause any expense to
the
> organizers.
>
> - Boyd S.

In article <[email protected]>,
Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote:

> Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Well, a certain never-doped poster did mention "winning a more than a dozen centuries"
> > recently, so it could have something to do with that. Win!!! a Century! and other valuable
> > prizes! (Sorry, Tennessee...)
>
> So what was the prize when Never-Doped "won" a century? A cookie, a pickle, or a button?
>
> - Boyd S.

A Happy Meal?

--
tanx, Howard

"Better a lapdog for a slip of a girl than a ... git." Blackadder

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

news:OPy%[email protected]...
> Sometimes it's worth the fee for the food. The Baton Rouge Bicycle Club's Jambalaya Tours in
> November is well worth the cost for the food and the riding is some of the best in Louisiana.
>
> Your turn, Henry. :)

Don't have a whole lot to add.

I don't like eating a lot in the middle of a long ride. Food coma sets in (blood rushing to the
stomach) and I wish I was home taking a nap instead of sitting on my bike.

Kyle Legate wrote:
> Raptor wrote:
>
>>Perhaps I should think about changing my approach to training rides.
>>

> Like carrying food and drink with you?

I seem to need a lot more than I carry to perform well. If I'm on a supported century ride, I
eat-eat-eat and drink-drink-drink, and feel pretty strong in the last few miles of it. The
alternative on a training ride is to hit several convenience stores on the way.

Raptor wrote:
> Kyle Legate wrote:
>> Raptor wrote:
>>
>>> Perhaps I should think about changing my approach to training rides.
>>>

>> Like carrying food and drink with you?
>
> I seem to need a lot more than I carry to perform well. If I'm on a supported century ride, I
> eat-eat-eat and drink-drink-drink, and feel pretty strong in the last few miles of it. The
> alternative on a training ride is to hit several convenience stores on the way.

Generally, when I'm a long ride I bring calorie-dense foods with me...a piece of fruit to mark the
end of the first hour, dried fruit, cookies and energy bars or gels for the rest of the ride. In the
summer, 3 bottles, two with cytomax and one with water. When I run low on fluid I hit a variety
store for a large bottle of water, top up my water bottles and chug back the rest. If the cytomax
went early and I'm running low on food I'll consider mixing a gatorade with the water to keep the
salt up and prevent cramps. That's sufficient for me. After the ride, the usual post ride feed and
in the summer I always have a bottle of water by my side. Make sure you're fully fueled before the
start (a meal a couple of hours before and pee as clear as you can) and you'll be able to handle a
slight deficit on the ride.