When is a frame dent a problem? Is this?

jojoma

Sep 7, 2007
I just got a brand new frame, and I noticed a small dimple-like dent just above the bottom bracket. I tried to capture it below. Is this a problem? Or am I making something out of nothing?

The bike is an all-carbon 2008 Specialized.

It doesn't seem normal for this dent to be on a frame. Especially from a high-end bike maker like Specialized.

Thanks for any thoughts.

2474870901_b9558263bd.jpg

Yes, with a carbon frame I'd say this is a problem. Carbon farmes do not usually have dents unless there is internal structural damage. I would return the frame.

jojoma said:
I just got a brand new frame, and I noticed a small dimple-like dent just above the bottom bracket. I tried to capture it below. Is this a problem? Or am I making something out of nothing?

The bike is an all-carbon 2008 Specialized.

It doesn't seem normal for this dent to be on a frame. Especially from a high-end bike maker like Specialized.
Is that REALLY an "all-carbon" frame?!? (I can't imagine "denting" carbon fiber without creating more damage to the paint -- but, that's BOTH my lack of imagination AND/OR exposure to damaged CF).

FWIW. I agree that if THAT part of the frame is carbon fiber then you should return it & exchange it for another frame, REGARDLESS, because you didn't pay for a cosmetically damaged (if nothing else) frameset ... the LBS can return it to Specialized (which they should have done prior to delivering it to you!). The LBS should NOT make you wait for the actual replacement (presuming you bought the bike from them) if they have a comparable frame in-stock.

Heck, if that part of the frame is alloy, I would take it back to the dealer ... AND, if they decline to exchange it, then you should try to contact Specialized (NB. Specialized was NOT inclined to direct customer contact a few years ago, perhaps that has changed) to query them, directly, about it.

I'm going to have agree with Al - I don't think you can "dent" carbon.... it could be a flaw in the paint/clear coat or even in the carbon itself, but unlikely to be something that happened after the bike was painted or it would be a crack or chip. I'd take it back too - you don't know what's under there and I wouldn't want to mess with possibility of flawed carbon.

shame. It looks as though some peanut might've over-tightened the derailleur clamp

531Aussie said:
shame. It looks as though some peanut might've over-tightened the derailleur clamp

What he said. Maybe the service guys at the LBS need to take a refresher course on Units of Torque, specifically how ft-lbs are not the same as in-lbs.

Vive La Système MKSA!!!!!

531Aussie said:

makes sense but where is the deraileur clamp? Wouldn't it be covering the dent? Maybe it was taken off. Anyways...

offtopic but that paint color looks just like my Raliegh's :)

jojoma said:
Thanks a lot for the feedback. The frame is indeed all carbon.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=34080

Specialized FACT 8r carbon, Az1 construction, compact design, Zertz inserts
Specialized FACT monocoque carbon fork, full carbon legs, crown and steerer w/ Zertz inserts
I'd be surprised if a Specialized dealer would sell a frame with this kind of defect. Did you really buy this new from an LBS, and did you inspect the frame before buying it?

Yeah, I agree with the others, I think the frame def was a factory defect and you should probably return it especially because it puts you at great risk for injury.

The Specialized MTB I had a few years ago had fingerprints undet the top tube. In the paintwork and under the clearcoat. :(

A very strange looking CF dent in deed. It looked almost alloy, especially with a lack of cracks in the paintwork.

gemship said:
makes sense but where is the deraileur clamp? Wouldn't it be covering the dent? Maybe it was taken off. Anyways...

offtopic but that paint color looks just like my Raliegh's :)
Is it the seat tube or the downtube that we are looking at?