When Is It Time For A New Bike?

niightwind

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Hope I'm putting this in the right place!
I've had my bike for years. I haven't grown much in that time, so I still fit it well, the bike still works as decently as I can remember it ever working, the only main issue with it is the tires deflating faster than before, but I can replace those at any time as far as I know.
So my question is, how often is it generally recommended that you get a new bike? Can you use the same bike for as long as you want, will that be safe? Or are there certain signs that show it might be time to get a new one?
Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

I had several bikes but they did not reach a point that it became rusty. However, my last bike was stored for years in the stock room hence it deteriorated somehow. In normal times, I guess 5 years is enough for a bike... you can hand it over to your heir so you can buy a new one. But for sentimentalists like me, you can just keep it in your storage for future museum display.

Corzhens, thank you for the response! So around 5 years is generally standard time between getting a new bike? I believe I've had my bike for a few years longer than that. There's been no sign of rusting from what I can see though; is it safe to continue on my current bike or is it best to just go ahead and splurge for a new one when I have the money to do so?

That keep or your old bikes for future museum display sound rather nice, though. :) I don't have the room to keep things just for sentimental value, but if I did I would hold onto my bike for sure. I love the old thing!

Reactions: Corzhens
Keeping your old bike around is just fine. But you have to consider you health and safety. Is there something on the bike that puts you in danger if you were out in the street? That's a pretty simple question. If your frame looks like it has a crack in it and it looks like its going to split in two, then get a new bike or new frame. I know some people like their old bike which is fine, just don't look past the danger of a older bike with parts that are wearing away.

That one reason won't make you to consider buying a new bike. You may change the wheels if others parts have no problem. You may also consider buying a new model, as per choice and retain your old bike. If you are having no problem with the saddle, the handles and lights then your bike is in good condition.

Up until I decided to get into cycling for more personal reasons than just to get along and maybe get a little exercise, I would have kept my old bike until I die. However, I am not just getting along as a teenager who needs to get from point A to Point B. I am getting into cycling for personal reasons because I am wanting to get healthier.
I think cycling bikes are kind of like automobiles in that you want to replace them every now and again. However, when to replace your cycling bike is up to you, just like when to replace your automobile is up to you. I do not think there is any specified time.

Reactions: Corzhens
sbatz72 said:
Up until I decided to get into cycling for more personal reasons than just to get along and maybe get a little exercise, I would have kept my old bike until I die. However, I am not just getting along as a teenager who needs to get from point A to Point B. I am getting into cycling for personal reasons because I am wanting to get healthier.
I think cycling bikes are kind of like automobiles in that you want to replace them every now and again. However, when to replace your cycling bike is up to you, just like when to replace your automobile is up to you. I do not think there is any specified time.
We have the same opinion in biking. My first reason for buying a bike is health because I know I needed the exercise. Second reason is enjoyment. It is enjoyable for me to ride and cruise in streets with light traffic. I feel the power that comes from me, from the pedal, from my feet. As a sentimental person, I have no intention of buying a new bike unless the old one is rusty and poses problems like out of aligned wheels.

If you ask me, it's time for a new bike when your old one no longer works. Don't be spoiled or anxious to get a new one. Use your current one to it's full potential even if it means that you have to fix it yourself. That's just my opinion and other people might get new ones every year or biyearly, but to me, if it still works, there's no need for a replacement.

My view is a little different. If you can afford it, by all means get a new bike, especially if it is a big step up in capabilities for you. Disc brakes give me the "feeling" of increased stopping power over caliper brakes, although I don't know that for a fact. A new bike that is lighter than your old one is a step up. You will be able to go further and with less effort. That increases your enjoyment and also very likely will help you feel good about riding a lot. There is no fixed day or time for you to get a new bike, in truth. The decision tree is all about whether you really want a new bike.

Here is what I mean. My friend Sarah had an 20 year old clothes washer machine that started sounding awful. I suggested having it repaired. The cost of repair would be very reasonable. However Sarah really wanted a new clothes washer. Not only did she buy a new one, she used the opportunity to put both the new washer and old clothes dryer in a different room that she had wanted to do all along. She gladly paid for additional plumbing work. So, she simply decided that she wanted to do this. She had the money and the desire. That is what decided her.

So if you really want a new bike, just go and buy one. It is my hope that you will purchase from a local bike shop, to support the shop owner and his/her family.

Thanks

Bob

Reactions: chong67
BobCochran said:
My view is a little different. If you can afford it, by all means get a new bike, especially if it is a big step up in capabilities for you. Disc brakes give me the "feeling" of increased stopping power over caliper brakes, although I don't know that for a fact. A new bike that is lighter than your old one is a step up. You will be able to go further and with less effort. That increases your enjoyment and also very likely will help you feel good about riding a lot. There is no fixed day or time for you to get a new bike, in truth. The decision tree is all about whether you really want a new bike.

Here is what I mean. My friend Sarah had an 20 year old clothes washer machine that started sounding awful. I suggested having it repaired. The cost of repair would be very reasonable. However Sarah really wanted a new clothes washer. Not only did she buy a new one, she used the opportunity to put both the new washer and old clothes dryer in a different room that she had wanted to do all along. She gladly paid for additional plumbing work. So, she simply decided that she wanted to do this. She had the money and the desire. That is what decided her.

So if you really want a new bike, just go and buy one. It is my hope that you will purchase from a local bike shop, to support the shop owner and his/her family.

Thanks

Bob
Thats correct Bob. Better then buying a bike when you are dead. :)

Reactions: BobCochran
We are roadies.

We have rules.

According to both myself and Velominati, I refer you to Rule Number 12:

Rule #12: The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

...and actually, owning s+1 bikes is more often than not a winning move.

I told myself, i'd use my current bike for at least 5-10 years or if it suffers irreversible damage. I've had it for 5 months and have the same feeling about it as I do my first car(which I still drive). Its been reliable and I've felt no reason to trade up to shave a few seconds here and there. Not to mention, i'm not rich and don't exactly have all the space in the world. I will have an excuse to get another shinny bike next year when I start mountain biking :D . Thats my one excuse,lol....

It's time to buy a new bike when:

1. You find yourself walking more than riding.
2. You can't keep up with other cyclists.
3. You have to fix it every now and then.

There really is no fixed time frame for a bike. Just try to look at its components and see if they are still holding up. If you're still enjoying riding the bike, then there really is no need to buy a new one.

There are many reasons, your current bike could be old and worn out, you may want to different types or riding now or just fancy something new or special.