When is it too cold to ride?

Paladin

Guest
A little nippy this a.m. at 5degf, but hey, the only thing that hurt on my
ride was my head from my helmet jammed down over 2 face masks! Toward the
end my fingertips were a tad funkified.

Heheh....it's all about the want to...

CDB

Paladin wrote:
> A little nippy this a.m. at 5degf, but hey, the only thing that hurt
> on my ride was my head from my helmet jammed down over 2 face masks!
> Toward the end my fingertips were a tad funkified.
>
> Heheh....it's all about the want to...

Having just paid my property taxes for the pleasure of living in LoSoCA, I'd
say anything under 70F is iffy!

Bill "thought I had a point when began typing" S.

To answer the subject question 60 deg F. Any lower than that and you
can find me next to the fire place sipping Irish coffees.

Greg

--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late
The battles we fought were long and hard

Paladin wrote:
> A little nippy this a.m. at 5degf, but hey, the only thing that hurt on my
> ride was my head from my helmet jammed down over 2 face masks! Toward the
> end my fingertips were a tad funkified.
>
> Heheh....it's all about the want to...
>
> CDB

> Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access

You got it! More snow fun for me this weekend (another few inches and
cold). What really gets me are the die-hard roadies out in the cold.
At least the trees give you some protection.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

G.T. wrote:
> To answer the subject question 60 deg F. Any lower than that and you
> can find me next to the fire place sipping Irish coffees.
>
> Greg

wuss.

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Paladin wrote:
>> A little nippy this a.m. at 5degf, but hey, the only thing that hurt on
>> my ride was my head from my helmet jammed down over 2 face masks! Toward
>> the end my fingertips were a tad funkified.
>>
>> Heheh....it's all about the want to...
>>
>> CDB --
>> Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service
>> ------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com<<<<<<------
>> Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access

> You got it! More snow fun for me this weekend (another few inches and
> cold). What really gets me are the die-hard roadies out in the cold. At
> least the trees give you some protection.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

The way you're always travelling, if work ever brings you to Boise, look us
up. We have year-round riding, so long as its dry or frozen, and some
trails higher up that equal or exceed most of what you did in SV.

CDB

"small change" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> G.T. wrote:
>> To answer the subject question 60 deg F. Any lower than that and you
>> can find me next to the fire place sipping Irish coffees.
>>
>> Greg

> wuss.

He does actually ride in cooler temps. Bike computer was reading mid 40's
on our ride T-day weekend. (in the shade, anyway)

Gary

small change wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>
>>To answer the subject question 60 deg F. Any lower than that and you
>>can find me next to the fire place sipping Irish coffees.
>>
>>Greg

> wuss.

That's weather wuss to you. Anyway, I'm not that bad. I've been caught
out when it started snowing but I don't think I've ever started a ride
when it was under 30. Any colder than that and I'd need to wear my
Levis since I don't have knee warmers or long tights.

Greg

--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late
The battles we fought were long and hard
Just not to be consumed by rock and roll" - The Mekons

I know I've mounted this soap-box before, but cold riding can be a blast.

In a previous life in eastern Canada, we rode year round. Since we were
well outfitted for XC skiing and other winter sports, the clothing issue was
not a problem. Windbreak materials on knees and thighs, plus good gloves
and face coverage were essential on all but warm days. Old flat pedals for
big boots were a must. A thin fleece beanie under the helmet worked pretty
well.

The biggest problem was where to ride. We had a lot of multi-use trails
available in the area, so they'd get very packed down a few days after a
snowfall. Once that happened, they were just like hardpack (with quicksand
on the sides). Run soft tires, watch out for bad braking, and don't expect
much action from your susp. fork.

When it snowed again, we'd be out skiing and such, so no trail contention
issues either. The biggest problem with winter riding (there) was the salt
that they used on the roads. If you were riding to the trailhead, you'd
often be on salted slush. Unless you had a plush heated garage, getting the
salt off your bike following an outing could be a real problem. Certainly
my old steel bike didn't like that much :-(

Gary

news:[email protected]...

G.T. wrote:
> small change wrote:
> > G.T. wrote:
> >
> >>To answer the subject question 60 deg F. Any lower than that and you
> >>can find me next to the fire place sipping Irish coffees.
> >>
> >>Greg

> > wuss.
> >

> That's weather wuss to you. Anyway, I'm not that bad. I've been caught
> out when it started snowing but I don't think I've ever started a ride
> when it was under 30. Any colder than that and I'd need to wear my
> Levis since I don't have knee warmers or long tights.
>
> Greg

"...I don't have knee warmers or long tights."
Oh please with that bald attempt at some pity hand-me-downs. You live
in LA! Just throw on your winter nylons and your Flashdance leg
warmers. You can even add your lipstick and rouge for skin protection.

/s

Scott Gordo wrote:
> G.T. wrote:
>> small change wrote:

>>> wuss.
>>>

>> That's weather wuss to you. Anyway, I'm not that bad. I've been
>> caught out when it started snowing but I don't think I've ever
>> started a ride when it was under 30. Any colder than that and I'd
>> need to wear my Levis since I don't have knee warmers or long tights.
>>
>> Greg

> "...I don't have knee warmers or long tights."
> Oh please with that bald attempt at some pity hand-me-downs. You live
> in LA! Just throw on your winter nylons and your Flashdance leg
> warmers. You can even add your lipstick and rouge for skin protection.

He's a /maniac/, MAY KNEE ACK...

Bill "thanks for throwing THAT out right before I ride*" S.

*new bib knickers, bay-bay!

Paladin wrote:
> A little nippy this a.m. at 5degf, but hey, the only thing that hurt on my
> ride was my head from my helmet jammed down over 2 face masks! Toward the
> end my fingertips were a tad funkified.
>
> Heheh....it's all about the want to...

I commuted in Colorado under single-digit conditions from time to time.
My commute home the other AM it was somewhere around 38. The cool
Jughead hat Penny sent me is getting some ride time again.

JD

Paladin wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Paladin wrote:
>>> A little nippy this a.m. at 5degf, but hey, the only thing that hurt on
>>> my ride was my head from my helmet jammed down over 2 face masks! Toward
>>> the end my fingertips were a tad funkified.
>>>
>>> Heheh....it's all about the want to...
>>>
>>> CDB --
>>> Posted via NewsDemon.com - Premium Uncensored Newsgroup Service
>>> ------->>>>>>http://www.NewsDemon.com<<<<<<------
>>> Unlimited Access, Anonymous Accounts, Uncensored Broadband Access

>> You got it! More snow fun for me this weekend (another few inches and
>> cold). What really gets me are the die-hard roadies out in the cold. At
>> least the trees give you some protection.
>>
>> --
>> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
>> www.schnauzers.ws

> The way you're always travelling, if work ever brings you to Boise, look us
> up. We have year-round riding, so long as its dry or frozen, and some
> trails higher up that equal or exceed most of what you did in SV.
>
> CDB

Someday soon. I am working on some interesting employment opportunities
at the moment. One of them puts me in Boise several times a year. We
shall see.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

G.T. wrote:

> To answer the subject question 60 deg F. Any lower than that and you
> can find me next to the fire place sipping Irish coffees.

Pff.

Being from four-season territory (a couple hundred miles south of
Penny), I am not at all afraid to ride at anything above 50F. (I'll go
out at 40F but then I'm afraid I'll get cold.:)

Although, when February rolls around, and it's been several months
without a ride, I'll go out in any conditions whatsoever just to feel
wheels and a saddle between my legs.

Conservative dictionary:
Judicial Activist: n. A judge who tends to rule against your wishes.

JD wrote:
> Paladin wrote:
>> A little nippy this a.m. at 5degf, but hey, the only thing that hurt
>> on my ride was my head from my helmet jammed down over 2 face masks!
>> Toward the end my fingertips were a tad funkified.
>>
>> Heheh....it's all about the want to...

> I commuted in Colorado under single-digit conditions from time to
> time. My commute home the other AM it was somewhere around 38. The
> cool Jughead hat Penny sent me is getting some ride time again.
>
> JD

this thread is useless without pictures ;-)

small change wrote:
> JD wrote:
>> The cool Jughead hat Penny sent me is getting some ride time again.

> this thread is useless without pictures ;-)

I can't commute and take photos at the same time...

JDangerous

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Paladin wrote:
>> A little nippy this a.m. at 5degf,> Having just paid my property taxes
>> for the pleasure of living in LoSoCA, I'd

> say anything under 70F is iffy!
>
> Bill "thought I had a point when began typing" S.

but then you wouldn't of had a seqway to the "punchline"